Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 01:02 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times

Advertisements

When my son lived at the Raleigh Apartments, he lived on the third floor, and the paint on the walls on the way up was peeling, and I personally wouldn't want to live there, but he said the walls were eventually repainted.

I don't know if they have existing window air conditioners (or if you have to buy your own) or if you can have a portable dishwasher or what.

They wouldn't be my first choice for those reasons, but people who live there (including teachers and police officers) seem very happy.

I think the conditions of the apartments themselves might depend on the previous renters, I don't know. While there, my son built some shelf in the kitchen that was permanently attached to the wall(!), so who knows what other renter-initiated improvements have been made over the past half century or so.

They are certainly worth checking out, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joseph24 View Post
Ahhh thank you all so much for your responses. Extremely helpful! I had tried "apartments.com" type places but, without knowing the area very well, it's difficult to find places that are actually where I would want to be located.

@ sowk09 and Lovebrentwood:
do you have any insight as to what kind of condition the Raleigh Apartments are currently in? I spoke with them this morning and it sounds like a very promising possibility. No pet restrictions, affordable, and close to campus!

I will research Hillsborough Street, kensington park, pine knolls, and Ivy Commons in the coming days. And try to visit with as many of the apartments in this area when I visit in march/april.

Ugh, I just got a notice this morning that they are banning all bit bulls from my trailer park. Very irritating. Looks like he'll be living up north (Santa Fe, NM) with the folks until I move out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:59 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Raleigh Apts, though older, are a really good choice if you are on the North side of campus. In addition that proximity, they are near all sorts of good services, shops and things to do.
Good luck from an NC State Alum!
:-)

Old 03-01-2010, 04:46 PM

21 posts, read 45,725 times
Thanks again to everyone for the help...

I think the plan is to visit the Raleigh Apartments and (unless the visit goes badly) stay there for the first 6-12 months I'm living in NC. This way I can find a place, on my own time, for more permanent stay.

I will definitely be on this forum as moving day approaches to get info on good places to eat, party, etc..

Until then, thanks again and take care!

Best,
Joe

Old 03-01-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Good luck from an NC State Alum!
:-)
Thank you! I'm thrilled at the opportunity

Old 03-02-2010, 08:44 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,831,626 times
Raleigh Apartments aren't bad. 1930s era building; seemed pretty well kept up. I think maybe some of the units have central air and some don't. You can catch the #12 CAT bus to campus for free, but you have to go to the university transportation office to get a bus pass. (The wolfline doesn't run by there.)

You might also check out Boylan Apartments, Cameron Court, or Grosvenor Gardens further down Hillsborough Street towards downtown. Not sure of their pet policies. All of them are are 1920s-1930s buildings and the units that I've been in have all been in decent shape. Grosvenor is all efficiencies, but the other two have varying configurations. Buses to campus from there will be much more frequent (6 buses per hour at peak, and 3 per hour at midday between the CAT #4 and the Triangle Transit #105, compared to 2 buses per hour all day for the #12 at Raleigh Apartments).

Any of these options are just under a mile from Poe Hall. All of them are also about a half mile from Glenwood South, a nightlife district. Raleigh Apts however is also close to Cameron Village which has a bunch of shops, a nice grocery store, some restaurants, and the neighborhood is somewhat "nicer" (though it's not a big difference.) Boylan/Cameron/Grosvenor are closer to the rest of downtown.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:52 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,827,176 times
You also might see if the Department does any roommate matching, since this is an issue any grad dept is going to face every term. Are you on Facebook? See if the NCSU Psych dept has a page--I know that on my own grad school department group, every summer, newly-accepted incoming students start showing up and asking questions about the dept, the area, etc. They also might have a listserve for students and might let you join if you've already been accepted. Then you might actually find someone in your own dept who needs a roommate, for example, which would be a good "inside scoop" on classes, professors, etc.

PS-I agree that Raleigh Apartments, though they look rattletrap on the outside, would be a good pick to consider. The one time I've been in one, it was VERY roomy, and as has been mentioned, the location is tops. Easy biking to Poe Hall or Glenwood South and right next to the coolest shopping center in the area.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:40 AM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Perhaps you can find a nice condo/rental around Cameron Village. They may be more lenient on pets and you'll be closer to North Campus.

Plus once all the road construction is done you'll be golden.

Old 04-27-2010, 06:06 PM

Well it is official,
I will not be attending NCSU this fall.
I have received a better offer from another school and will be pursuing my graduate career elsewhere.

Thank you to everyone for providing me with such helpful information!

Best,
Joseph

Old 04-27-2010, 11:00 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,825,031 times
Darn! Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary