Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 04:13 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times

Advertisements

Has anyone else noticed the little encampment in the wooded area next to the on-ramp from Jones Sausage to I-40? Looks like a couple guys and a dog. I've been working out there for 2 weeks, and it's been there as long as I've been going there. Tomorrow is my last day in that area, and I was thinking of buying some groceries and dog food - has anyone had any interaction with these guys or know how long they've been there?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:11 PM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
There is also a larger camp at Poole Rd and the Beltline. The smoke fills the area at times from their fires. Such camps are all around the Triangle. There will be more.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisalrenee View Post
Has anyone else noticed the little encampment in the wooded area next to the on-ramp from Jones Sausage to I-40? Looks like a couple guys and a dog. I've been working out there for 2 weeks, and it's been there as long as I've been going there. Tomorrow is my last day in that area, and I was thinking of buying some groceries and dog food - has anyone had any interaction with these guys or know how long they've been there?
I give you credit for having your heart in the right place. It is difficult to know if the people that hang out at intersections and ask for handouts are really in need or just scam artists.

Whatever their real situation is, begging for food or money can't FEEL good. I try to give a little something every now and again. I may be a fool for doing it but I hope that it at least makes that person feel a little bit better. I can't imagine being in their situation.

Vicki

Old 02-25-2010, 07:41 PM

251 posts, read 515,184 times
They are out here on 401 as well....there are 4 of them who panhandle every single day. It is sad but hard to tell if they're con artists or not.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:42 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
I give you credit for having your heart in the right place. It is difficult to know if the people that hang out at intersections and ask for handouts are really in need or just scam artists.

Whatever their real situation is, begging for food or money can't FEEL good. I try to give a little something every now and again. I may be a fool for doing it but I hope that it at least makes that person feel a little bit better. I can't imagine being in their situation.

Vicki
Thanks, all, for your input. I'm not a religious person, but believe it to be imperative to act when I experience a 'there but for the grace of god go I' moment. FWIW, I've never seen either of these guys begging (not that it would matter to me).

I've had a tough year myself, but am blessed NOT to be living in a tent by a freeway. This is the first I've seen of a group that has set up, and despite driving by 440 and poole road daily (as an earlier poster mentioned) I haven't seen the other site, so this is the one that has weighed on my mind.

Again - thanks for your input. I may be the fool in this situation, but as I said, can't bear to see a situation where I might help, yet stand by a do nothing.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:12 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,963 times
I think you know if they are scamming or not because someone who is truly hungry will take the food and dog food. I applaud you for taking that approach, rather than handing out money... though I must say, if I was homeless, alcohol would certainly warm me up and help me forget my situation! But back to my point, I think it's really thoughtful of you to get them some groceries. I certainly hope if I ever found myself in that situation, someone would provide me with a meal.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 PM
DPK

4,594 posts, read 5,727,004 times
Giver beware. There's a group of them that work in shifts at the 440 West (Inner Beltline) / Wake Forest Road off-ramp. I went to Walmart the other day and there was one guy walking up/down the ramp panhandling cars. On my way back I drove under the underpass and there were 2 sitting there and a woman doing the panhandling after receiving the same sign the earlier guy was using to panhandle with.

As some have said earlier, these guys working in shifts likely make more than most people make for an hourly wage. Don't get me wrong, I'm sympathetic to those who are genuinely homeless but these guys have an operation going.

I applaud the OP for going to food route instead of money. If you are truly homeless and in need, food should always be a welcome donation. Perhaps also some coffee/tea because of the cold temps this time of year. Better than just having heated water to drink. Just be careful when interacting, perhaps bring someone along with you.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:10 AM

271 posts, read 700,841 times
There is also 2 of them on the west off-ramp of I40 and Airport BLVD. Looks like they take turns everyday.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:40 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poggly Woggly View Post
There is also a larger camp at Poole Rd and the Beltline. The smoke fills the area at times from their fires. Such camps are all around the Triangle. There will be more.
Words of wisdom - you are right! Not all homeless ppl are so obvious. They are all around us, some at your place of work and sitting next to your child in school. Many live in their car and park in public places.

The average age of a homeless person in the US - get ready for this! Is a 9 year old CHILD! My heart goes out to these innocent children.

The majority of women and children who are homeless are that way because of family violence. For Men it's addiction and or mental illness. Either way, they are somebody's mom, sister, brother, niece, grandchild.

I think most ppl know now that money isn't really the best way to help. The best thing is a fast food gift card or one for a walmart if there is one within walking distance of where they are begging. This way they can buy socks, gloves, necessities. Sometimes they'll trade them for drugs but, hopefully they'll use them.

I saw a post where someone was accused of being liberal for caring about the homeless and wanting to help. I am not liberal, and those who throw the term around on this forum don't know what liberal is - go live in England, observe how they treat certain populations compared to natives, ask where the nearest Sharia law court is, it will give a whole new meaning to the term Liberal! The liberals here are not who you should be concerned about, American liberals are baby liberals It's the ppl who are complacent, have no sense of community, history, or patriotism you need to be concerned about. These are the ppl who leave the backdoor open for something worse than the liberals.

Old 02-26-2010, 06:59 AM

932 posts, read 3,097,547 times
At least one of those guys has been there for about a year. My husband has bought him breakfast or lunch a few times and we've given him dog food and supplies (gloves and hand warmers.) I haven't had any interaction with him, but my husband has.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary