Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 17,835 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to find a contractor to build an attached garage/apartment on my house in Chapel Hill, in town. I'm looking to find one who is open to letting me do some of the work as well. Does anyone have any recommendations for a contractor/builder in this area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 11:36 AM

2,905 posts, read 5,919,154 times
Joseph Grantham Custom Homes - he just did a finished basement and freaking gorgeous screened porch/deck for me. Pics below. He's now quoting out a garage for me as well (what a coincidence). I've since recommended him to friends (I only recommend people that exceed my ultra picky expectations) and they have been nothing but pleased as well. Quality, pricing, and relationship are all great with him. He's capable of building million dollar homes, so "smaller" projects like this are easy for him and he does it with the same quality as a $3M mansion that I could never afford to live in.

I did my own electrical plus central vac, ethernet, coax, intercom, etc. and he was fine with it. How good is a contractor if you liked him and his subs so much that you start thinking up projects to have him come back and do more work for you?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
Not to hijack, but does anyone have any general cost guidelines involved in adding a gargage (including the room above)?

Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
Not to hijack, but does anyone have any general cost guidelines involved in adding a gargage (including the room above)?
I would say there is no "general" - it depends on whether the slab will go on existing land, fill, or have to be created (or if you want it open underneath like I do which is a lot more expensive), whether you want siding, brick, etc, how much electrical you want, insulated versus non insulated, how many windows, what type of shingles, whether you want plumbing, whether it is attached or detached and if detached, if it is still somehow physically connected, etc.

There would be huge cost variations and I could easily see it going anywhere from $10-15K for a very simple detached 1 car with nothing fancy to $80-100K for a 2 or 3 car with storage and/or room above, brick, attached, etc. Those are purely guesses - I still have no clue what mine will even cost, let alone what you might be thinking of.

Old 02-26-2010, 07:02 PM

28 posts, read 60,261 times
Sent you a pm.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:47 AM

1,561 posts, read 5,156,880 times
Bob the Builder
i hear he's pretty popular, though i don't know anything about him...

Old 02-27-2010, 06:59 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Colima Custom Homes
Ask for Kendall. 919 649 4505.

Kendall has excellent workers, and goes overboard looking for possible extra surprise costs so you know exactly the worst case scenario for your budget.

Old 02-27-2010, 08:43 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Joseph Grantham Custom Homes - he just did a finished basement and freaking gorgeous screened porch/deck for me. Pics below. He's now quoting out a garage for me as well (what a coincidence). I've since recommended him to friends (I only recommend people that exceed my ultra picky expectations) and they have been nothing but pleased as well. Quality, pricing, and relationship are all great with him. He's capable of building million dollar homes, so "smaller" projects like this are easy for him and he does it with the same quality as a $3M mansion that I could never afford to live in.

I did my own electrical plus central vac, ethernet, coax, intercom, etc. and he was fine with it. How good is a contractor if you liked him and his subs so much that you start thinking up projects to have him come back and do more work for you?

I'm sorry, but is that a deck with tile? And a screened porch with heaters? Way cool...

Old 02-28-2010, 03:42 PM

797 posts, read 3,579,090 times
Anyone paying more than 15K for a 2 car garage is getting taken for a fool!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
I'm sorry, but is that a deck with tile? And a screened porch with heaters? Way cool...
Yup. I was tired of dealing with staining and wood warping. The tile is the best deck surface EVER, despite the high cost. It's super easy to keep clean and "like new" at all times. The heaters allow us almost year round use of our porch. We recently held a poker tournament out there with temps in the low 40s and the wind howling. People were asking me to turn the heaters down because they were getting too warm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary