Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 04:34 PM

44 posts, read 208,925 times

Advertisements

My current house at the north right now has a wooded back yard too. The houses are far away from my house at the back, although they are close on both sides…...

It is very relaxing sitting at the deck, slowly cooking food on my charcoal grill, while the breeze is coming out from the woods during the evening when the SUN is just behind the top pine trees on the right.... I want to have the same environment down there, so I may take that lot for my future home... The basement will keep me cool and save some A/C too :-)

Just hope the big one never come before I move again....

Spoke with builder again, it will just like a pond with no cover. Only rain water goes there. I wish they will landscape it later to make it look nice, and the ducks may come :-) Remember that the two ponds are not behind my lot, but they are between the two houses next to me on both sides. It is only trees behind my lot.

I guess any house can be sold with a good price...

Thanks for all sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 05:30 PM

17 posts, read 100,273 times
Hi- im a land developer in CA.
Easement advice should not come from your realtor- they are not qualified.
You need a land use attorney.
In most cases- the easement will show up on your title report (if you dont have your title report- get it- tell the title company you want the report, bach-up documents and plotted easement).
A person or entitly will hold the easemetn- usually a utility company.
It does not mean the land is theirs- but they a acces right to mintain, construct and repair any of their lines/pipes n the easement. read your title report. you should not build in an easement- they can make you tear it out.
if you dont want to build in it- its not really a bad thing. the the company who holds the easement is out of business or the person is dead. your titlle company may be able to remove it from title.

Old 06-01-2007, 06:42 PM

This is good info. I saw the map from the sales office, they draw the easement behind my lot in shaded color. I also see a shaded passage going thru the area next two houses over in between them, but it is not on my lot at all. The sale office said if the town need to do some work, they will come in from that shaded passage.

The pond is not behind my house but it is in between the two houses next to me on right and left. I only sees the woods behind my lot and they can't cut the tree by law.

Is that still a bad thing ?? Or do I still need to get more info ??

I wonder if they can sell those houses next to my lot at all. I may end up the only house in the middle of these 5 lots !

Thanks again for any info.

Old 06-02-2007, 01:51 PM

2,376 posts, read 2,929,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner9 View Post
Hello the sunny south

Finally I am approved to relocate to Raleigh. There is a land at west edge of Wake county boundary that can have a walk out basement that I am interested in and it has a wooded area (some trees) after my back yard with a slope going down. But there is a catch. The wooded area is used as storm/rain easement.

The two houses next to my lot also have a pond (drainage) behind in between them. I don't see them from my lot at ground level. These are new lots without house yet, and I don't see any water in the ponds and they are very shallow. My back yard does not have the pond and only the tree which can not be cut by law.

The realtor said they will put some concrete structure on top of those ponds and landscape it so it won't look too bad. All water pipes will be underground. I may only hear some running water noise outside the house when there is water coming in. He said the town of Cary will make it look nice. Further more, there is not much rain at Raleigh area (is that true ??).

This is my first time to learn this. Is this a bad thing or not? Any help is much much appreciated.

Northerner9
We had the exact same situation when we were buying our house. We have a drainage basin behind our house but don't have a pond or any standing water in it. If it rains hard there is some water in the catch area but within a day or two it drains out of there.

We like having this behind us for a couple reasons:
1) It gave us a big, private lot but without a lot of grass to cut.
2) We don't have any noisy kids/neighbors behind us so we can relax peacefully on our deck.
3) We have a large, permanent land buffer so nobody can build behind us.

We used our "concerns" about the drainage basin as leverage with the builder. We acted like it was worrysome to us and asked for the builder to put in a wooden privacy fence - to which they agreed.

I attached a photo of our backyard. A nice fence now stands where the black tarp was in this photo and you can't see the rocks anymore from the deck.
- The 5-foot wide catch basin is just in front of those rocks but about 10-15 feet away from our fence.
- Behind the rocks the land gradually drops off another 10-20 feet and ends at a small creek. (Only a couple feet wide.)
- We own the property all the way to the clearing you can see through the trees. This photo was taken in January and now we can't even see through half of the trees behind us. It has completely filled in and looks outstanding.

Our lot is just over a half-acre and the subdivision also owns more property behind that. If someone built behind us the closest a house would be is 300-400 feet away.
Attached Thumbnails
Storm water easement - is this bad ?-6-new-house-backyard-2.jpg  

Old 06-02-2007, 04:14 PM

I just submitted the contract today before reading your post and I did not ask for the fence !! I did not know that I can ask for things in the contract. Hope they counter offer me, then I add more to it :-) My buying agent keeps telling me they won't go down in price for new lot, but she did not tell me I can include things.....

Also hope the interest rate does not go too high 8 months later......

Thanks !

Old 06-02-2007, 09:34 PM

359 posts, read 1,838,188 times
Can't you lock in your rate prior to your housing being finished? I can't remember all the details-we built almost 8 years ago-but it seems we locked ino our rate about 3 months before the projected closing. I guess your realtor or lender would know.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:10 PM

Yes, it can. They said the house won't finish until end of Jan, so I may lock in Oct or Nov. Still long way to to.

Anyone else can show me their easement picture if they have one behind their back yard ? It will reduce my wife's worry....

So far, it seems to be a good thing to have a storm easement at the back. I can enjoy a wooded yard and give me more privacy.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2008, 09:40 PM

12 posts, read 42,600 times
Angry Storm Drainage Easment

Im signing a contract for a house tomorrow and just rite now I noticed theres a 20' storm drainage easment between my house and the house next door. Will this negativly affect my home resale value? Can this flood my house?
Im so confused and very stressed out rite now. What should I do?

Old 03-14-2008, 09:46 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeg4sushi View Post
I personally think having a storm easement is better than not having one at all!

Something to keep in mind about the Piedmont: Soil consistency. There is more clay than sand, and it has a high iron content, making it red. There are dry spells in Raleigh and being more south than say Pennsylvania, it's more likely to get a heavier, more sudden kind of thunderstorm. Because of the high clay content and dry surface soil, it's hard for the soil to soak up the water and some pools and small flooding can happen. (This is why we won't live any closer than Raleigh to the coast!)

There is a shopping center called Crabtree Valley Mall in Raleigh. The left, older portion which looks more like a strip mall and not connected to the new mall has this problem. Where the Barnes & Noble is. When it rains hard,the shops sometimes have to close for a day or two, because the parking lot becomes a big messy puddle because of poor runoff planning. I have heard some of thsoe shops have had issues with flooding.

This is why most homes in the Piedmont are not built with basements.

However! There are areas which are alot less prone to this. Contact the USGS (Us geological Survey) for more information on flood mapping and Piedmont runoff.

On a side note, the nutrient-rich mineral deposits from NC and SC which bleed off into the ocean from the Carolina watersheds are what helps feed the algae and plankton offshore, which helps attract many delicious things like Tuna! So in my mind, if there is any company or system which keeps the environment happy it will be best for everything in the long run.
In the 30 years I've been here, Crabtree has flooded 3 times. Now who would have thunk to build a mall on top of a creek bed??? It IS called Crabtree Creek!!! I'm serious. It just sounds too silly to be true!

Vicki

Old 03-14-2008, 10:18 PM

43,269 posts, read 77,063,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW25 View Post
Im signing a contract for a house tomorrow and just rite now I noticed theres a 20' storm drainage easment between my house and the house next door. Will this negativly affect my home resale value? Can this flood my house?
Im so confused and very stressed out rite now. What should I do?
We have storm water easements in all neighborhoods. It is how drains are protected, so they can be maintained, if necessary. Seldom is it necessary.

Is the drain underground?
Or is it surface outlet with a lot of rock around it that you are responsible for maintaining?

If it is underground drain, I wouldn't give it a second thought. The 20' is probably just so it can be maintained, equipment brought in, if the drain needs attention. They go for decades without any attention.

If it is above ground, it probably isn't a problem either, unless it is hideous, and that is subjective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary