Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 08:58 AM

4,261 posts, read 4,709,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
WTVD broadcasts via VHF, the rest are UHF. Not sure about that flat one, but the "rabbit ears" one for 10, the one I bought will pull both. the cirlce part is for UHF, the rabbit ears for VHF.
Correct. When "digital antennas" came out, they were really UHF antennas with limited capability to receive high VHF (channels 7-13) as well. Almost all low VHF (channels 2-6) broadcasters like WUNC and WRAL moved up to UHF when they converted to HDTV. WRAL retained their 5 branding, but that's now a virtual channel assignment not a physical OTA channel. A somewhat higher percentage of high VHF broadcasters like WTVD stayed put, although most of them moved up to UHF too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2014, 09:29 AM

288 posts, read 360,957 times
It took me a long time to re-map the TWC QAM channels after the recent shuffle. I thought that I'd share my results to save others the headache. I can get all OTA major channels (PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and others). I have TWC internet-only in Durham, but get ClearQAM signal through a Windows Media Center PC with a tuner card. A lot of manual channel adding was required.

Here are the new QAM channel numbers:

74.2 - WRAL HD (5.1)
74.3 - WRAL2 (5.2)
74.4 - WRAL3 (5.3)
74.5 - WRAZ HD (50.1)
74.6 - WRAZ2 (50.2)
74.7 - WRAZ SD
75.2 - CSPAN
75.3 - WGN
75.14 - CSPAN2
76.3 - HSN
76.12 - NWS14 SD
77.1 - WLFL HD (22.1)
77.2 - WRDC HD (28.1)
77.3 - WLFL SD
77.4 - WRAZ2 (50.2)
77.5 - WRDC2 (28.2)
77.6 - WLFL2 (22.2)
78.1 - WTVD HD (11.1)
78.2 - WTVD2 (11.2)
78.3 - WTVD3
78.6 - EAS
79.1 - UNCTV SD
79.2 - UNCTV HD (4.1)
79.3 - UNCKD (4.2)
79.4 - UNCMX
79.5 - UNCEX (4.3)
79.7 - WUVC (40.1)
117.54 - TELEMUNDO
117.55 - QVC
117.56 - UniMas
118.2 - NWS14 HD
120.2 - WNCN HD (17.1)
120.3 - WNCN2 (17.2)
120.7 - WRPX SD
120.8 - WAUG
120.9 - WRPX HD (47.1)
121.4 - ShopHQ
121.5 - BET

Old 01-13-2014, 03:37 PM

15 posts, read 41,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
It took me a long time to re-map the TWC QAM channels after the recent shuffle. I thought that I'd share my results to save others the headache. I can get all OTA major channels (PBS, CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, and others). I have TWC internet-only in Durham, but get ClearQAM signal through a Windows Media Center PC with a tuner card. A lot of manual channel adding was required.

Here are the new QAM channel numbers:

74.2 - WRAL HD (5.1)
74.3 - WRAL2 (5.2)
74.4 - WRAL3 (5.3)
74.5 - WRAZ HD (50.1)
74.6 - WRAZ2 (50.2)
74.7 - WRAZ SD
75.2 - CSPAN
75.3 - WGN
75.14 - CSPAN2
76.3 - HSN
76.12 - NWS14 SD
77.1 - WLFL HD (22.1)
77.2 - WRDC HD (28.1)
77.3 - WLFL SD
77.4 - WRAZ2 (50.2)
77.5 - WRDC2 (28.2)
77.6 - WLFL2 (22.2)
78.1 - WTVD HD (11.1)
78.2 - WTVD2 (11.2)
78.3 - WTVD3
78.6 - EAS
79.1 - UNCTV SD
79.2 - UNCTV HD (4.1)
79.3 - UNCKD (4.2)
79.4 - UNCMX
79.5 - UNCEX (4.3)
79.7 - WUVC (40.1)
117.54 - TELEMUNDO
117.55 - QVC
117.56 - UniMas
118.2 - NWS14 HD
120.2 - WNCN HD (17.1)
120.3 - WNCN2 (17.2)
120.7 - WRPX SD
120.8 - WAUG
120.9 - WRPX HD (47.1)
121.4 - ShopHQ
121.5 - BET

I am an Internet only TWC subscriber in Wake Forest. Like you I am pulling in clearQAM channels using a tuner card in my PC and WMC. As recently as last Sunday I was getting Fox and WRAL in HD because I was watching the NFL games last weekend. A day or two later I noticed they were gone and I can only get them in SD. I searched around online and it looks like TWC moved them to where they are encrypted now? Some BS about interference with Verizon's 4G spectrum. I have Verizon 4G and it's not causing me any issues, but what do I know. I tried re-scanning and even tried a manual add using the numbers you provided here but I'm not picking them up. Any idea why? Are we on different systems being that you are in Durham and I am in WF? Any suggestions?

I am tired of dealing with TWC all together and I am thinking about getting an antenna put on the house to pick up locals OTA. I have tried some cheap indoor antennas and they can't pick up a thing out here. I built this one myself yesterday and it worked to pick up the stations needed to watch the games but it's ugly and it was a little spotty, especially after about 9pm when the signal started dropping out so much it was unwatchable. Not sure if they power down their signal then or what.

If I do get an antenna put up, anyone have any advice on who to hire to install it and how much it would cost? I'm sick of paying for TV but would at least like to get locals along with what I can get streaming over the Internet.

Old 01-13-2014, 03:47 PM

Just found this from TWC that explains why it disappeared last week but says I should be able to still get WRAL and WRAZ with a channel rescan. No luck for me though.

Programming Legal Notice - Raleigh/Durham | Time Warner Cable

Old 01-13-2014, 07:06 PM

288 posts, read 360,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjc0715 View Post
I am an Internet only TWC subscriber in Wake Forest. Like you I am pulling in clearQAM channels using a tuner card in my PC and WMC. As recently as last Sunday I was getting Fox and WRAL in HD because I was watching the NFL games last weekend. A day or two later I noticed they were gone and I can only get them in SD. I searched around online and it looks like TWC moved them to where they are encrypted now? Some BS about interference with Verizon's 4G spectrum. I have Verizon 4G and it's not causing me any issues, but what do I know. I tried re-scanning and even tried a manual add using the numbers you provided here but I'm not picking them up. Any idea why? Are we on different systems being that you are in Durham and I am in WF? Any suggestions?

I am tired of dealing with TWC all together and I am thinking about getting an antenna put on the house to pick up locals OTA. I have tried some cheap indoor antennas and they can't pick up a thing out here. I built this one myself yesterday and it worked to pick up the stations needed to watch the games but it's ugly and it was a little spotty, especially after about 9pm when the signal started dropping out so much it was unwatchable. Not sure if they power down their signal then or what.

If I do get an antenna put up, anyone have any advice on who to hire to install it and how much it would cost? I'm sick of paying for TV but would at least like to get locals along with what I can get streaming over the Internet.
I'm sorry to hear that those QAM channel numbers are not working for you. I thought that they would work for all TWC customers in the Triangle. My only suggestion is to try these channel numbers I saw posted on the avsforum.com message board:

5-1 WRALDT 74-5-1
5-2 WRALDT2 74-5-2
50-1 WRAZDT 74-50-1
50-2 WRAZDT2 74-50-2

For my Windows Media Center setup, I couldn't enter three-part channel numbers, but I was able to find CBS and FOX by adding different 74-x channels. If your tuner allows you to manually enter channel numbers like that, perhaps it will work.

Switching gears to your antenna question, I actually have an antenna mounted on my roof, but I haven't had great luck with it. That's why I started using the TWC QAM channels a couple years ago. All of the broadcast towers except PBS are in Garner, and those came in fairly well when I point the antenna that direction, but I like to have PBS too. I ended up using a hybrid Windows Media Center PC setup with two tuner cards, one for the antenna, and one for the TWC cable feed. I used the antenna for ABC, which I wasn't able to find on TWC QAM until this latest channel shuffle.

The antenna on my roof is a ClearStream 2. I think they have improved it over the past two years, so the new model might work better. There is also a bigger ClearStream 4. If TWC finally blocks me from using QAM, I will probably replace my roof antenna with a Mohu Sky. They are more expensive ($150), but I've heard they work pretty well. I installed my ClearStream 2 myself, so I don't have any leads on professional installers.

Good luck! I know how frustrating the cord cutter thing can be.

Old 01-13-2014, 07:19 PM

455 posts, read 918,762 times
Quote:

My co-worker gave me this one - Indoor/Outdoor HD Antenna. I'm in Cary, in a townhome with lots of trees and what not around me. I'm pulling in all locals and all Triad channels as well. 15 bucks...

Old 01-14-2014, 11:37 AM
WDJ

286 posts, read 788,926 times
Build yourself one of these babies:
Introduction to the Gray-Hoverman TV Antenna - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums
GH for UHF (Plans, Parts Lists, Build Tips by 300ohm) - Canadian TV, Computing and Home Theatre Forums

A Mohu Sky is just an expensive version of these designs boosted by an amplifier included with it.
I built one of the antennas above for about $10 using thick gauge copper wire from Home Depot and PVC tubing.

Comparison of Mohu Sky, ClearStream, CM 4221 antennas: Useful Gadgets: Mohu Sky Outdoor TV Antenna | HDTVexpert

Old 01-14-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGMayor View Post
My co-worker gave me this one - Indoor/Outdoor HD Antenna. I'm in Cary, in a townhome with lots of trees and what not around me. I'm pulling in all locals and all Triad channels as well. 15 bucks...
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if it's the same or not but it looks strikingly similar and the same price as I paid for this: Rosewill Amplified Digital/UHF HDTV Antenna - Indoor/Outdoor w/FM Trap Filter - Newegg.com which picks up zero channels indoors. I may try it outdoors this weekend but it will be running coax through the living room and under the backdoor, I don't know anything about running cable and a what not. Guess if it works outside then I could start looking into it.

Same for me on WTVD, I now get it whereas before I didn't. I will try again with your suggestion Chris, thanks.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 PM

455 posts, read 918,762 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know if it's the same or not but it looks strikingly similar and the same price as I paid for this: Rosewill Amplified Digital/UHF HDTV Antenna - Indoor/Outdoor w/FM Trap Filter - Newegg.com which picks up zero channels indoors. I may try it outdoors this weekend but it will be running coax through the living room and under the backdoor, I don't know anything about running cable and a what not. Guess if it works outside then I could start looking into it.

Same for me on WTVD, I now get it whereas before I didn't. I will try again with your suggestion Chris, thanks.
It's slightly different, but probably not too much. I have mine in the attic.

Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 PM

136 posts, read 435,590 times
Quote:
Just found this from TWC that explains why it disappeared last week but says I should be able to still get WRAL and WRAZ with a channel rescan. No luck for me though.

Programming Legal Notice - Raleigh/Durham | Time Warner Cable
No luck for me either. Multiple rescans and calls to TWC haven't changed anything. Time to buy the antenna I'd been procrastinating on. I tried the Mohu Leaf a little while back but it didn't get all the channels with one orientation. I'd get most but not all, try another spot and get most but not all, but a different combination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary