Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2007, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 13,635 times

Advertisements

I've been searching the forum for a couple of days and have been unable to find the answer to my question, so I decided to start a thread. I'm interested in renting a townhouse near Duke. I will begin grad school there in the fall. I'm having a difficult time finding places. Does anyone know of any resources? I've already looked at the Duke Housing site, and some of the larger property owners like Bob Schmitz, Trinity, Apple Realty. Is my best bet to just get in the car and drive around looking for 'for rent' signs? Anyone know of any websites? Also, I'm very interested in the Walden Pond and Crystal Pines neighborhoods, so if anyone has any specific observations, comments, likes/dislikes about those, I'd love to hear! THANKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 12:44 PM

2,024 posts, read 5,899,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtodurham2007 View Post
I've been searching the forum for a couple of days and have been unable to find the answer to my question, so I decided to start a thread. I'm interested in renting a townhouse near Duke. I will begin grad school there in the fall. I'm having a difficult time finding places. Does anyone know of any resources? I've already looked at the Duke Housing site, and some of the larger property owners like Bob Schmitz, Trinity, Apple Realty. Is my best bet to just get in the car and drive around looking for 'for rent' signs? Anyone know of any websites? Also, I'm very interested in the Walden Pond and Crystal Pines neighborhoods, so if anyone has any specific observations, comments, likes/dislikes about those, I'd love to hear! THANKS!
In terms of property management companies: I haven't had first-hand experience, but from what I've heard, I'd gravitate *strongly* towards Apple Realty. I'd feel more comfortable discussing others like Guy Solie/Trinity Properties and the like over PM. Apple has a very good relationship with neighborhood associations and a history of being good neighbors in the areas where they own property.

Walden Pond and Crystal Pines are both "OK" -- not dangerous areas to my knowledge, but smaller/inexpensive townhouses, some owner-occupied, many owned as investment properties. Not places you're going to build great lifetime bonds with neighbors necessarily or get deeply involved in the life of your neighborhood. Have not spent much time in Crystal Pines but it's in a fine part of northwest Durham, near shopping and a quick commute to campus. Walden Pond is in a bit of a noisy location of Morreene Road -- I might look further down Morreene in the American Village area. Or, south on 15-501 to Cornwallis Rd -- there are some townhouse condo areas there that can be a good rental opportunity, in a quieter area.

The Duke Housing Office surveys are like gold... some of the only unbiased, reliable info you will find on renting property in Durham. Trust it highly.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:16 PM

94 posts, read 393,190 times
Default Not sure....

While I was visiting there from Michigan last week I stayed in a condo/townhouse in South Durham -Southpoint area. I noticed a Realtor (Louise Beck) had a "For Rent" sign in the front yard of a condo/townhouse just a couple of doors down. If it's no longer listed, she might have other properties....

I believe the subdivision I stayed in is called 'Woodlands at Chancellor's Ridge'. The subdivision is nice and relatively new, located in the Southpoint area of Durham right off of NC751 (I-40 Exit 274). It's VERY convenient to Super Target, shopping strips and Southpoint Mall. Seemed like a good prime location for living in Durham.

Here's the Realtor's link: Louise Beck & Louise Beck Properties, Inc.

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about this Realtor.

Good luck!

Old 06-01-2007, 01:19 PM

94 posts, read 393,190 times
Smile Another suggestion...

Try performing a Search via Realtor.com...

Along with homes & properties for sale, this site lists rentals as well...

Link: REALTOR.com: Home and Real Estate Search - Advanced Search (http://rentals.realtor.com/rentals/ - broken link)

Old 06-01-2007, 02:48 PM

405 posts, read 1,765,796 times
If you come for a visit, make sure to pick up one of those big fat apartment rental books at the local grocery store. My Harris Teeter always has those--right next to the books with homes for sale. They're free... Anyway, for a brief time, my husband and I were considering moving to a rental property in south Durham, and I found that booklet to be VERY useful. It listed all properties in the area and had a very handy grid for each indicating all of the amenities available in the development along with the various unit sizes (and prices for most too).

We're here for post-grad work at Duke and both commute to campus daily from south Durham. Don't feel like you need to limit yourself to locations right around campus. If you have a car, it's a pretty easy commute from almost anywhere in Durham... and there are some very nice, new rental communities in the south part of town.

Old 06-01-2007, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 13,635 times
Thanks for all of your suggestions!! This board is very helpful.

Old 06-03-2007, 01:09 PM

7 posts, read 28,717 times
Have you checked out craigslist yet?

Last edited by helenac; 06-03-2007 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-27-2007, 12:26 PM

4 posts, read 19,423 times
Here are a couple of management companies that have listings on their website. I've never rented through either, but was considering one of these when we were thinking of renting our townhome out:
They are both located in Durham
real estate associates: Real Estate Associates, Durham NC Property Management, Durham Commercial Real Estate, Durham Homes for Rent
allenton: Allenton Management
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary