Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 AM

149 posts, read 615,597 times

Advertisements

Our toilet cracked on Saturday, and I need to find an American Standard tank with model 4392. I'm a little new to this; do I need to find the same model, or will any tank fit? Again, it's just the tank; everything else is fine. I checked the websites for Lowe's, Home Depot, and I couldn't find it; everything says that this is a discontinued model.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 08:35 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
They are somewhat compatible. Take the old tank with you. You'll probably have to buy the whole thing, however.
I did find a supplier for just a tank - probably not yours, however
American Standard Toilet Tanks (Bowl Not Included) | fixtureuniverse.com
I'd say just buy a whole new one at the big box store.
Installing a toilet is not a hard job, it should pretty much be a bolt in with a new wax toilet seal.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:41 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,009,126 times
I think the Habitat for Humanity store has toilets.
Not sure where they moved to.

I would also replace the whole thing.
Toilets are pretty cheap.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,282,232 times
It may not be a good idea to just replace the tank. With the newer toliets, they have the smaller water capacity tanks as per new regulations. They may not flush well if the bowl is designed for less water.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:34 AM

9 posts, read 122,470 times
Default Replacement toilet tanks available but often poor choice

Almost all toilet manufactures quit manufacturing any of the old style 2" flush valve tanks and bowls about two to three years ago as the toilet industry moved over to about 90% 3 inch flush valves to get the much higher flushing performance that change brought about. Most manufacturers including American Standard choose to abandon essentially all the old style 2" flush valve toilets.
You can have your local Lowe's or Home Depot associate call and check with American Standard to see if they have any remaining tanks from their old stock that will fit your bowl. Best to check the bowl model number before asking and have the associate ask about both the replacement tank by the tank number and if that fails then ask to see if any other tank will fit your bowl model. The bowl model number is located underneath the lip where the tank fastens to the bowl. Patience will be required as this call can take 20 to 30 minutes often with no positive result.
If available a replacement tank will cost approximately $45 to $100. A second hand construction materials yard if in your area might have one but it is doubtful. Tanks and bowls are not universal even with the same flush valve size as bolt spacing, size, and number vary as well as the sanitary ledges that were on many toilet models.
Because of the vastly improved flushing performance of the new 3" flush valve toilets I would recommend simply changing the whole toilet. Most people also find they much prefer the new height standard referred to as chair, comfort, or ADA height. New complete high performance (close to 1000 MAP score) toilet sets (versus the old 2" toilets that were typically 250 or lower MAP rated) also use less water while getting vastly better performance. Round front traditional height sets of 3" flush valve toilets typically start about $80 to $90, while chair height elongated front toilet sets start around $100. The extra investment is well worth the benefits.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:18 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,927,154 times
I just replaced my 50 year old American Standard's with Toto's(Drake with extra tall bowl) I hated to see the olds ones go, but it was long past time to start saving some water. The city gave me a $100 rebate on each one that paid the labor charge
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary