Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,034,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceili723 View Post
I can understand the tug of neighborhood schools, and have a lot of sympathy for families who are reassigned year after year. I can relate. I went to four different elementary schools myself, and even had to endure double sessions (one half of the grade goes mornings, I went 12-6pm) for half a year because of the explosive growth in my town. I would love to see some more predictability with reassignments, (or rather, lack of them) which I think would make a lot of people a lot happier.

I have had a disturbing number of conversations lately though with people who are telling me that they "have" to send their kids to private school because of the diversity policy. Mind you, I would understand this more if it was their children who were going to be bused across town. But it's not. It's "them" coming to us.

One mom was scared that the huge Hispanic kids would beat up her own. Another thinks her kids are going to lose their family values at school. A third was saying that you "simply have to go private in Cary" because you just don't get quality people coming in.

I just don't understand what values this imparts to a five year old: fear, intolerance, and bigotry?? My own kids are doing great at public school, as are the vast majority of their friends. And also, as someone solidly stuck in the middle of the socioeconomic ladder, I am happy that my kids (who do get bused, by choice) have the opportunity to go to school with kids a lot higher than us on the spectrum as well as those closer to the bottom. And do they notice? No.. or barely! But I definitely do, and love the school for it.
This as a mind set is not unique to Wake and I know I will create a firestorm does have validity. Note in the anti Diversity movement you often see minority faces protesting the diversity policy. Should not surprise anyone. Black parents will pay for the right house in the right school district to help their kids avoid the well recognized negative Black peer pressure. It is real and it is horrendous for motivated Black kids. So how do you think those parents feel when the very unmotivated thug culture kids are bussed to their school to once again torment and push their kids in the wrong direction? What has gotten lost in the debate is that it was a Free Reduced Meal/Income redistribution program and not racial. It has been termed racial by those who have their own agenda but it was socio-economic and that is always a great challenge to implement and make it mutually beneficial for all. It would appear that Wake failed in that challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:35 AM

What follows some will find interesting it is a good read and link:
Public schools and why we leave

Old 03-07-2010, 09:23 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I have more questions than what I started with, it seems, as I too delve a little deeper in the politics here -- school issues, aside. It bothers me that it appears the new Board members have been less elected, and more put in place to achieve the self-serving interests of another group, nonpartisan 501c3 non-profit or not. Think::coup.

Given this information, as well as what has been gleaned from the N&O; Geary from The Independent, parents of school-aged children attending the WCP Schools, and many of the more-informed posters here, I am re-thinking quite a bit of this. I am starting to squirm when I think about some of these Board members controlling the reins, and being at the helm. All they need now is a like-minded individual in the Superintendent's office to further what appears to be their own self-interest(s) and agenda. How things are right now may truly be the lesser of the evils, according to the saying.

Let me play devil's advocate once more, and assuming nothing changes -- neither to where children are bused, or for how long, and at what expense, nor the current diversity policy -- what could be done to make Wake County Public schools better? These two issues aside, what might be the flip side of this coin?
I TOTALLY agree with you and came to the same conclusion! And yes, they will have a super. who agrees with them, they will not entertain contrary ideas or someone saying their policies will be counterproductive for WCPSS and our kids.

Regarding the previously mentioned groups. If they were so concerned about our kids education why haven't they been offering to help us before now? There are many things they could have done within the school system to improve it. They could have offered a partnership. But no, that would mean they'd have to have shared, play nice. They only want their values and entertain no others.

Instead of using money to back their candidates, it could have been used to help numerous PTA's, or buy books, help principals incentivize teachers, pay for tutoring programs, educational trip for kids whose parents can't afford it.

What can be done to improve the current system? I'd like to re-post what Iamishra posted earlier on this topic, as she put's it more succinctly than me
From Iamishra - I don't think it needed to be "fixed" in the first place. I think the current system just needed some changes and updates, such as having a limit on how far kids can be bused, making magnets true lotteries, not declining YR seats to applicants and enforcing caps on over crowded schools. We don't have to throw out the baby with the bathwater!

What I'd add to this is that we need a foreign language option in every MS school. Ideally, I'd love to see it in elementary and MS. I learned French in my UK elementary school as it was mandatory back then. I say get them started early.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:50 PM

809 posts, read 2,187,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
I have more questions than what I started with, it seems, as I too delve a little deeper in the politics here -- school issues, aside. It bothers me that it appears the new Board members have been less elected, and more put in place to achieve the self-serving interests of another group, nonpartisan 501c3 non-profit or not. Think::coup.

Given this information, as well as what has been gleaned from the N&O; Geary from The Independent, parents of school-aged children attending the WCP Schools, and many of the more-informed posters here, I am re-thinking quite a bit of this. I am starting to squirm when I think about some of these Board members controlling the reins, and being at the helm. All they need now is a like-minded individual in the Superintendent's office to further what appears to be their own self-interest(s) and agenda. How things are right now may truly be the lesser of the evils, according to the saying.

Let me play devil's advocate once more, and assuming nothing changes -- neither to where children are bused, or for how long, and at what expense, nor the current diversity policy -- what could be done to make Wake County Public schools better? These two issues aside, what might be the flip side of this coin?
Exactly my thoughts. This self-serving of their interest and agendas I expect to continue on Tuesday in another closed door meeting. I believe in part, it will be to try and come up with a new approach in hopes they can undo and smooth over the huge divide they've created with their egos and self-importance. I've much more I'd like to say however, in an effort not to be smacked down again for mentioning it, I will leave it at that.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Wake County North Carolina has seen a concerted revolt against the liberal school board. Issues such as quota based busing and spending caused a flank of Conservative-leaning candidates to run, and win. Assuming John Tedesco wins the run-off tomorrow in Wake County District 2 the make-up of the school board would be drastically different with 4 of the 9 seats changing hands (and philosophies). For the first time in years parents who have been fighting against the left-leaning school board will actually have a voice.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-07-2010 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Blog not appropriate for this thread/forum

Old 03-07-2010, 03:54 PM

Carolina Politics Online » Election 2009

Schools shift in Raleigh could reshape neighborhoods | McClatchy

=
* Story | N.C. school district election gives busing foes the edge

Moderator cut: Please post links, not actual articles, per the T.O.S.

Katy's Conservative Corner: October 2009

Moderator cut: Please post links, not actual articles, per the T.O.S.

But I think it is clear that those who say partisan politics are at play in the Board of Ed policy debates are just trying to create something that isn't there. I think?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-07-2010 at 04:14 PM.. Reason: Copyright violation -- please post links only, per the T.O.S.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
What follows some will find interesting it is a good read and link:
Public schools and why we leave
Thanks for sharing, very interesting! There are definitely some school here that are teetering & could be like the bad school in the article if the balance is tipped.

My concern is exactly what does the board propose to do for the schools that end up like this? We don't have enough money now to run the school system...where will funds come from to help these schools? The underperforming kids won't be able to keep up with the class, or could hold it back. They will need more out of classroom help. Grad rates will certainly fall.

And you referred to the very real problem of the black thug mentality. I am familiar with this and the pressure they put on other black kids who come from a home where education is valued. When you have too many of these kids in one school or classroom, there is little a teacher can do. Teachers then start to leave such schools.

A couple of years ago my teacher friend found himself with a classroom divided 50/50 with such students. The divisive, aggressive, disinterested kids, and the motivated ones. He spent a lot of time disciplining such students...and leaving the good ones to work by themselves. Now his magnet school has been re-districted and he only has a small % of the troubled kids. He is able to have most of the class keep up. Now they are trying to rebuild the school's reputation.

One thing that just occured to me is that parents who support the new board say they will be able to volunteer more if we go to neighborhood schools. This is splendid! We will have an over-abundance of volunteers for the first time ever in all schools! Being a former PTA member, I couldn't pay most parents to help out. I can't wait to see the stats on this - NOT!!

Old 03-07-2010, 05:09 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
I don't know about NC yet but in my neighborhood school we seem to have quite a few volunteers. Last year the first grade teacher had enough who volunteered to come up and help her that she just assigned us each a month. I know my son's class this year has 2 room mothers and at least another 5-10 parents at each party. I guess alot depends on if there is at least one parent at home (or with a flexible schedule) that can help out.

I'm very interested to see what the next school year holds for us but I'm totally lost on how to actually choose a neighborhood since I don't know how the school will be assigned. It sounds like the schools are rated higher than most TX schools so even though we currently live near the highest ranked schools in our city, we should still be better off in Wake County.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
I don't know about NC yet but in my neighborhood school we seem to have quite a few volunteers. Last year the first grade teacher had enough who volunteered to come up and help her that she just assigned us each a month. I know my son's class this year has 2 room mothers and at least another 5-10 parents at each party. I guess alot depends on if there is at least one parent at home (or with a flexible schedule) that can help out.

I'm very interested to see what the next school year holds for us but I'm totally lost on how to actually choose a neighborhood since I don't know how the school will be assigned. It sounds like the schools are rated higher than most TX schools so even though we currently live near the highest ranked schools in our city, we should still be better off in Wake County.
I would say that you have plenty of volunteers because you are at a high ranked school. Single or two parents, doesn't impact as much as the engagement of the kids which are a reflection of their parents. I am a single parent and I volunteered for 2 yrs on the PTA. I made it work because I wanted to be engage in my child's school. I saw other parents do the same.

As for where to live....the school board said they need 9-15 mths to come up with the plan. Will you be here before then?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:41 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,272,434 times
Yep, we'll be there in June. We had planned on renting and looking around for a good deal on a house. I know this sounds awful but the homes are more expensive there than in San Antonio so we were actually hoping to pick up a repo or short sale (I feel bad benefiting from someone's loss but...)

My husband will be at his new office in April for a few weeks plus they are flying us out to house hunt. I've been trying to figure it out from this board but I have to admit this new school issue is confusing me. I'm hoping my son will be happy but if not hopefully we can apply to a magnet school--he started off slow but he's making straight A's now and reading way above level. The good news is we are going to miss the Texas TAKS test for next year which apparently they spend most of the year studying for because it is so brutal!

However, I am happy to learn MOST kids go to a school fairly close to them. I'd just like him to stay put (unless we opt to try for a magnet) because he likes continuity. I have to say, I'm very greatful for the info I've gotten!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary