U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 PM

3,640 posts, read 3,966,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Yep, we'll be there in June. We had planned on renting and looking around for a good deal on a house. I know this sounds awful but the homes are more expensive there than in San Antonio so we were actually hoping to pick up a repo or short sale (I feel bad benefiting from someone's loss but...)

My husband will be at his new office in April for a few weeks plus they are flying us out to house hunt. I've been trying to figure it out from this board but I have to admit this new school issue is confusing me. I'm hoping my son will be happy but if not hopefully we can apply to a magnet school--he started off slow but he's making straight A's now and reading way above level. The good news is we are going to miss the Texas TAKS test for next year which apparently they spend most of the year studying for because it is so brutal!

However, I am happy to learn MOST kids go to a school fairly close to them. I'd just like him to stay put (unless we opt to try for a magnet) because he likes continuity. I have to say, I'm very greatful for the info I've gotten!
Hmm, that's around the corner! As for house, there aren't many foreclosures or short sales here. And you need a realtor who knows something about them, as well as the specific area the home is in. Our county is spread out and a lot of realtors specialize in certain areas. With this sort of house you will often need to do repairs, clean up, etc. the ones I've seen usually need new carpet, and the kitchen and bathroom's usually need updating. if you are prepared for some work in bringing a house up to par, then it might work for you. Generally you will not save that much money going this route, it's hit or miss and there is a lot of competition and cash buyers...so be prepared to lose a few.

Honestly, I'd focus on finding the right house for your budget and the right school rather than a fixer upper. If you can buy around North Hills, Five Points, the schools should remain the same quality. But you are talking higher prices.

I also think the schools in North Raleigh around Leesville, Strickland, I-540 will stay the same. In fact, Leesville should improve. The calendars may change to accomodate a yr rd school for each area/pod/node/whatever name. And I would think they'd need to turn a school or two into a magnet(?). Cary & Apex may have crowding in some schools and probably go back to adding trailers - these work fine. they'''l also need to convert some schools to yr round and magnet. Garner schools should improve but I think will have crowding issues unless they have more schools there than I'm aware of. Plus they'll get a magnet. and yr round if not already.

So, if you are on a tight budget certain areas of Garner will become very enticing. You can get more house/land for the money there. Garner is where Tedesco (board member) lives I'd buy a house in his subdiv - wherever that it. You can be assured of a good school selection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:26 PM

WRAL is reporting Dr Burns has been placed on admin leave. I suppose that's one way of getting rid of him...hate the dirty games! I suppose they don't need him now that's he's finished the budget?

Old 03-09-2010, 08:37 PM

786 posts, read 803,389 times
Thanks Raleighlass. We'll be living close to Garner but near our gym (Lifetime) so somewhere in the Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area. I've gotten some great feedback on the forum and my husband will be there shortly to scope it out. I actually saw 3 short sales listed when I was looking around sites last week. They were still in good shape. We just noticed we could get a larger home if we could catch a short sale. I saw one in Holly Springs that was over 3000 sf for under $250K. There seem to be more sales than rentals online but we're getting help from the company on relocating so hopefully we can get good info--including whatever they can figure out from the school board!

Old 03-09-2010, 08:44 PM

23,807 posts, read 19,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
WRAL is reporting Dr Burns has been placed on admin leave. I suppose that's one way of getting rid of him...hate the dirty games! I suppose they don't need him now that's he's finished the budget?
Great observation but now the fun begins with the budget as they align it with the dollars given and decide if they concur with how it has been constructed.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
Thanks Raleighlass. We'll be living close to Garner but near our gym (Lifetime) so somewhere in the Apex/Cary/Holly Springs area. I've gotten some great feedback on the forum and my husband will be there shortly to scope it out. I actually saw 3 short sales listed when I was looking around sites last week. They were still in good shape. We just noticed we could get a larger home if we could catch a short sale. I saw one in Holly Springs that was over 3000 sf for under $250K. There seem to be more sales than rentals online but we're getting help from the company on relocating so hopefully we can get good info--including whatever they can figure out from the school board!
Glad you've made progress! Good luck! make sure you have the right realtor

Old 03-09-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Great observation but now the fun begins with the budget as they align it with the dollars given and decide if they concur with how it has been constructed.
I didn't think about that! I assumed they'd go with his plan. But I shouldn't be surprised if some take the contrarian route!

I still find it sad that Dr. Burns' career with WCPSS ended the way it did.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
I didn't think about that! I assumed they'd go with his plan. But I shouldn't be surprised if some take the contrarian route!

I still find it sad that Dr. Burns' career with WCPSS ended the way it did.
Budgets always get the imprint of the school board after a Super constructs. Might be minor but they have to convince the public they are not just rubber stamping and any budget will have parents wanting to change priorities. With the current economic challenges that becomes more significant.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:49 AM

10 posts, read 8,522 times
One of the issues, that has been touched on, is how do you solve the issue of a student's home/peer life relating to the priority of education? I don't think any amount of busing can solve that issue. Wake will probably look a lot like Durham, instead of having a bunch of average schools, you will have a handful of really good schools, but the majority will be underperforming (based on test scores). Durham is a GREAT city, BTW. In the meantime, you have kids caught in the crossfire. Maybe I live in a bubble, but I thought Wake county was pretty diverse across the board. My two oldest are in PS and you see a variety of ethnic and social groups, and they are in a neighorhood school. Maybe when it is all said and done, we will not have a huge disparity if they go to neighborhood schools because Wake seems to have acheived a lot of diversity all across the county.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:58 AM

4,597 posts, read 7,499,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfinsright View Post
One of the issues, that has been touched on, is how do you solve the issue of a student's home/peer life relating to the priority of education? I don't think any amount of busing can solve that issue.
Certainly the crux of the problem with many under-privileged students -- not all, but many. Used to be, or so it seemed to me, that many more parents saw the value of an education but I ran into plenty of lower socio-economic students (of all ethnic groups) who saw little purpose of an education, and certainly didn't see an education as the means to a better end.

Flustered, I used to ask some parents to just grant me the privilege of taking their children home to rear, so I wouldn't be trying to constantly undo everything they were coming to school with, often from the 'hood or peers. I think some argument might be made that at least there is some glimmer of hope in busing children into better schools, better neighborhoods, more-school-oriented students and parents, might make some difference. I, however, have some problem with the busing situation, and am hoping there may be some happy medium with the issue in WCPSS.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfinsright View Post
One of the issues, that has been touched on, is how do you solve the issue of a student's home/peer life relating to the priority of education? I don't think any amount of busing can solve that issue. Wake will probably look a lot like Durham, instead of having a bunch of average schools, you will have a handful of really good schools, but the majority will be underperforming (based on test scores). Durham is a GREAT city, BTW. In the meantime, you have kids caught in the crossfire. Maybe I live in a bubble, but I thought Wake county was pretty diverse across the board. My two oldest are in PS and you see a variety of ethnic and social groups, and they are in a neighorhood school. Maybe when it is all said and done, we will not have a huge disparity if they go to neighborhood schools because Wake seems to have acheived a lot of diversity all across the county.
Diversity really across Wake? Are you sure? Aren't most neighborhoods similar with similar houses, lawns and incomes? People are confusing racial diversity with economic diversity and the discussion in Wake has gotten side tracked and become about race and not socio-economic advantage or disadvantage. I don't consider a neighborhood of 500K homes diverse just because different ethnic groups live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary