Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 02:32 PM

80 posts, read 177,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
When I had it done, it included painting as well, so the price wasn't broken out. It didn't take them very long, but it was an unbelievable mess, so if you do it, I strongly suggest doing it before you move in. And make sure they do not have the heat or A/C on when they do it!!!! I told them no heat or fan allowed while they're doing it, came home unexpectedly and they had the heat blasting. That made it worse.

But it was worth it, just wouldn't use the same contractor again.
Oooh, that's a good tip didee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 02:35 PM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
Also, beware, from what we learned in doing our house, there are two ways these ceilings were originally done. One is fairly easy to get off (still spray, scrape, smooth, paint...long process), but there is another that does not come off even that easily. We have both types in our house, so some has been taken out, but some hasn't....was going to be way too expensive. In our case, it was the ceilings from the 50's/60's that were harder, the ones from the 80's were easier. So, what one person paid may not be what you would have to pay. Get a name of someone that knows what they are doing and get them to look at the house before you buy it.

Old 03-02-2010, 02:39 PM

80 posts, read 177,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Also, beware, from what we learned in doing our house, there are two ways these ceilings were originally done. One is fairly easy to get off (still spray, scrape, smooth, paint...long process), but there is another that does not come off even that easily. We have both types in our house, so some has been taken out, but some hasn't....was going to be way too expensive. In our case, it was the ceilings from the 50's/60's that were harder, the ones from the 80's were easier. So, what one person paid may not be what you would have to pay. Get a name of someone that knows what they are doing and get them to look at the house before you buy it.
Another great tip, thank you! The home is being sold by the original owner who had it built in 2000. I just don't know why they'd agree to those ceilings! It must have been significantly cheaper or something.

Old 05-18-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,133 times
We got a quote today for $2.60 per sq ft. Thought that was ridiculously high!! I'd love to have a name from some of you of reputable folks who do a great job and for a far more reasonable price, in the $1.50 range..? Thanks!!!

Old 05-18-2010, 05:59 PM

305 posts, read 768,108 times
You can also just get it drywalled over.

Old 05-18-2010, 07:42 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,625 times
Mine was almost $3000 for 2400 sq ft.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:00 AM

277 posts, read 797,747 times
I know of a really great contractor with honest prices.
PM for info.

Take Care!

Old 05-19-2010, 08:53 PM

286 posts, read 749,791 times
A guy at work got two quotes to remove popcorn ceiling this week....remove popcorn, finish sheetrock, and paint the ceiling .. $2/sq.ft and $2.50/sq.ft.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:37 AM

1,188 posts, read 2,545,382 times
you could probably save a ton by doing some work yourself

get a ladder and a putty knife and go to town. Spend a weekend sraping it off and then hire a mudder to fix up the drywall and a painter to paint.

Would probably end up being a TON cheaper

Old 05-20-2010, 10:15 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
you could probably save a ton by doing some work yourself

get a ladder and a putty knife and go to town. Spend a weekend sraping it off and then hire a mudder to fix up the drywall and a painter to paint.

Would probably end up being a TON cheaper
My dad did part of his rental condo, it is VERY labor intensive, very very dirty, and a complete pain in the butt. He wound up paying somebody to finish the job. I do all jobs around my house myself and I am very handy, but this is one job I would not try myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary