Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 12:53 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,533,602 times

Advertisements

ehhh, my girlfriend did all the scraping on our bathroom ceiling. She said it came off super easy (huge mess though).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,487,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
ehhh, my girlfriend did all the scraping on our bathroom ceiling. She said it came off super easy (huge mess though).
Larger rooms would be more of a pain because of the area. I guess physically it is not hard labor, but it is mostly having to be on a ladder and basically your neck and back hurting like crap after having to be at the angle to scrap it off. Like you said though, it is not "hard" work though just not "fun/easy" work.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,393 times
Can you please message me with a good contractor. I have about 600 sq. ft.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:28 PM

1,733 posts, read 2,168,735 times
It can't be THAT hard to get the stuff down. Every time I paint my ceilings, the popcorn starts falling off by itself!

Old 01-09-2011, 08:28 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,455,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pari625 View Post
Hey all,
Would any of you happen to know how much it would cost to hire someone to remove the popcorn ceilings of a 2,703 sqft home?<>
It is very common around here. If you search the forum with key words, popcorn, texture, and ceiling you will find hundreds of threads on this.
To summarize, either live with it or try to find a house without it, of which there are damned few.
After a few months it becomes invisible. Get over it. (in My Experience)
"Meant in the nicest way"

Old 01-09-2011, 08:30 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,455,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Larger rooms would be more of a pain because of the area. I guess physically it is not hard labor, but it is mostly having to be on a ladder and basically your neck and back hurting like crap after having to be at the angle to scrap it off. Like you said though, it is not "hard" work though just not "fun/easy" work.
Cleanup is a b****. Mask off windows, air vents, and doorways before you start.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:54 PM

4,046 posts, read 4,785,780 times
Some popcorn ceilings, especially in older homes contain asbestos. It doesn't become airborne until you disturb the material, such as during removal.

You can send a test sample to Carolina Environmental and have it tested for asbestos. The cost for residential customers is $25.

CEI - Asbestos, Lead Paint, Indoor Air Quality

Wearing appropriate personal protective equipment should be considered if doing the popcorn ceiling removal yourself.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:39 PM

76 posts, read 302,882 times
Having removed popcorn myself, I'd say $1.50 per s.f. is very reasonable - perhaps if I'd known that, I would have hired somebody.

Definitely test for asbestos if there's any doubt. I believe homes built in the mid 80s and earlier are highly likely to contain it. Still, it's better to be safe than sorry and just have it tested regardless of home age. It's so cheap to have it tested anyway - only $25.

Also - LOTS of dust. Remove everything you can - furniture, blinds, curtains, etc. EVERYTHING else should be covered. Drywall dust will seep into your kitchen cabinets if they aren't covered too. Due to the use of water and dust, be aware that your walls will also get dirty. Either be prepared to thoroughly wipe your walls down, or insist that they are covered with plastic. It may not be obvious with the walls - but when you get the right angle and light, it will be very clear.

AND... don't use a household vacuum to clean up - that will surely ruin the vacuum. Make sure a shop vac is used and that the proper filter is also used. I purchased 2 drywall filters. When the first one got dirty, washed it off with the hose really well and let it dry while using the second one.

Basically, popcorn removal is a huge pain - I still have two rooms left to do and am not looking forward to it. If you can get somebody to do it correctly for the right price - go for it!

Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 PM

892 posts, read 3,151,486 times
Buy new furnace filters and tape bigger sized filters to the outside of returns. Anything at all to help cut down the dust will be oh so welcome.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:12 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,519,861 times
And get lots of huge plastic sheets to cover everything up or better yet take it out of the room you are working on.

With that said if I found a house I was going to buy, popcorn ceilings would not even be a factor in refusing to buy the home or making an offer. That's just crazy. It's like you do all this searching and then find the perfect home until you see the popcorn ceilings and say, well I'll just keep searching. You won't even notice the popcorn ceilings after you get settled in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary