Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:08 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times

Advertisements

Sigh...ironically enough, I just had the TWC door to door salesguy knocking on my door yesterday...for the second time in about 6 or 9 months. Basically, this is how it went...now assume that he's your typical young salesman and I'm just a mumbling ticked off mess...

"Hi! I'm from Time Warner, we're just checkin on our customers to see if there's any problems with service. I see you've got Roadrunner 7.0, huh?" No...I have earthlink. "Oh right! Of course...you from up north?" Yes, New Jersey. "No kidding! I'm from Jersey myself...I moved down here a few years ago...why did you make the big move, huh?" I dunno. "Ahh...well I came down because of the cost of living, I actually live just up the street here. I also like how it's so much quieter down here...it's just terrrrrrific!" Good for you. "So what are you doing for home phone?" We don't need a home phone. "You don't? Well, we've got some great deals for ya if you're ever interested." No thank you. "Ahh...well I see by the dish on the side of your house that you've got DirecTV...what do you like about it?" The deal I have and the channel lineup. "Oh well...anything in particular channel-wise...at Time Warner, we have just about everything satellite TV has." You have MSG? "Ummmmmmmmm....I'm....not....sure, let me look at my list....hmmm...I'm not seeing it, doesn't mean we don't have it.......what are you paying for DirecTV service now?" That's none of your business. "Oh of course, well, we just want to make sure our customers are getting the best quality service and if there's anything we can do for you...just give us a call...." Thanks. "...we should be having some good deals on our cable service coming up so if you're interested, please, don't be afraid to give us a call...I assume you're under contract with DirecTV, right?" Yes. "How long is that til?" I dunno, 4 months or something, I dunno. "(writes a note on his clipboard), ok well, I won't take up any more of your time...I just want to give you this Time Warner Cable flyer and really, if there's anything we can do...just let us know. Bye!!!!"

And out of all of that...I'm the great big DUMMY! I should've just told him to take a hike...not interested, etc...but he has to engage me in this nice conversation about living up north...yada yada, but I'm too nice and too much of an idiot to just get rid of him. After I shut the door, I put two and two together and figured out...that's how they "get" you. They want to be friendly...so they engage you in a conversation about something off the wall (like me being from up north or from the previous visit, the Canes). Then they try to plug away at your status with internet, phone, TV. It's exactly how the previous idiots did their pitch. And I shouldn't call them idiots...they're just doing their job and probably not getting paid all that well.

But this idiot made a note after I STUPIDLY told him when my DirecTV contract is up. Gee...what could he have been writing down...hmmm...maybe the fact that my contract is up in 4 months and it's perfect time for them to knock on my door again begging me to go back.

I'm a dummy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 05:14 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,991,412 times
I wish people wouldn't use this thread to vent about TWC. Every time I see it get bumped to the top I get excited!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:32 AM

776 posts, read 1,683,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I wish people wouldn't use this thread to vent about TWC.
The OP mentioned TWC directly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv333
I'm ready to tell Time Warner where to go!!
Just basing it off of that.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,866,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Consider if you will that it really wouldn’t matter about the quality of you local teachers if your children have access to the best lectures on any given topic. Thanks to super high-speed Internet and the ability to quickly download high resolution videos those lectures are only a mouse click away. Fios, and services like it, offer the added benefit of full duplex interactivity were students in remote locations can ask questions and receive answers from those excellent professors in real time.
Good luck with your Space Teacher proposal and making kids watch lectures after a long day at school, followed by homework for an hr or so
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary