Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 01:41 PM

317 posts, read 1,513,188 times

Advertisements

What is the weather like in Raleigh? I'm mainly concerned with summer/winter. How hot does it get? Is it so humid that you have to peel your clothes off of you? Or is it bearable. I know everyone will have a different opinion so it would be nice to hear from different people.

And then winter... how cold does it get? Does it typically snow once a year or so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 02:37 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,523 times
Normal winter temps are around 50's. Getting close to the 30's at night. 40's isn't uncommon for the day at times too. This winter has been especially cold. Not the norm. We've had several snow storms too. That isn't the norm either. Some years it never snows. Usually when it does it's not more than a dusting or an inch.

Summers are hot and humit. 90's. July and August. I don't seem to mind it. There are pools. The car and home is air conditioned.

I would rather have a hotter summer and milder winter. That is what makes the weather so great here for me.

This time of year is usually warmer than it is. 60's to low 70's is usually the norm. This weekend isn't bad. Some warmer temps next week.

Fall is great as well. I've even seen in the 70's for Dec even though not the norm.

What is the climate like where you are coming from?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
City-Data itself has profiles an many US Cities. Here is the one for Raleigh, which includes climate graphs as well as many other statistics.

Yes, it's above 90% humidity for a good part of the late summer. Winters are mild compared to places north of here (though this year's has been nastier than usual) and "typically" we get about 2 snowfalls per year, through that varies wildly. From 2004-2008 we had almost no snow at all, then this year we've had several snowfalls, most of them trivial, but you literally don't know until the day/night it falls how it's going to be. They can forecast 3" and you might get a trace or you might get 8.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:55 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
You have to peel off your clothes in the summer.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:11 PM

645 posts, read 1,502,835 times
Dec Jan and Feb this year was the 13th COLDEST of the 124 years recorded. Yep this winter had temps more in line with central NJ than central NC!!

Old 03-06-2010, 03:25 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post
What is the weather like in Raleigh? I'm mainly concerned with summer/winter. How hot does it get? Is it so humid that you have to peel your clothes off of you? Or is it bearable. I know everyone will have a different opinion so it would be nice to hear from different people.

And then winter... how cold does it get? Does it typically snow once a year or so?
Summers are totally awesome. I spend lots of time outside all summer, day and night. January and February can be nice or nasty. Too nasty if you ask me, but others like it.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:26 PM

100 posts, read 295,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hkrn44 View Post

First the good news, you can play golf year round and wear shorts in December. The Springs come early and are warm Springs and the Falls last a long time, sometimes into December. Beach trips are good from late March thru November.

Winter is short and rainy with a snow now and then which goes away fairly quickly. Raleigh does not have snow cover for more than a few days during most winters.

More good news. You can swim late at night during the Summers and really don't have to worry about weekend plans being rained out from mid April til November. A few downpours in the summer is about all the rain you will see.

Well that's about it except for the hot 85-95 humid 85-95% days lasting from May 15 to Oct 15th.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:45 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
Summers are totally awesome. I spend lots of time outside all summer, day and night. January and February can be nice or nasty. Too nasty if you ask me, but others like it.

Charlton's back!!!!!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
Charlton's back!!!!!
Yes he is.

Mike

Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 AM

133 posts, read 393,361 times
Winters pretty mild, summers hot and humid... But tolerable. To me, the biggest annoyance in summer are the flying stinging insects. If you have lots of trees and grass around you (which you probably will.... It's so pretty!) then you'll have all kinds of biting insects. Spring and fall are the seasons I like best. Mild and no bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary