U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 07:20 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times

Advertisements

I went to Walgreens on Capital twice today. (Poor DH has the Norovirus.)

The first time, the cashier pointed to a huge stack of candy bars piled next to the cashier area and asked, "Do you want a Willy Wonka candy bar?" The sign above the stack said in two-inch high letters, "FREE CANDY BAR." I figured it was a promotion. I said, "YES, of course!" But she forgot to put the candy bar in the bag.

I had to go back later this evening for my husband. Again, another cashier asked, "Do you want a Willy Wonka candy bar?" I said, "Of course!" The stack by now was down by more than half.

I looked at the small print below, "FREE CANDY BAR." It said, "If the cashier does not ask if you want the product of the month - Willy Wonka candy bar."

Then above the sign, in smaller print than "FREE CANDY BAR," it said, "2/$3."

What a racket! When someone asks you brightly if you want a candy bar, and you're busy getting your cash, credit card, or checkbook out, and points to a stack with a sign saying "FREE CANDY BAR," most people will say, "Yes!" without noticing the small print.

I said, "NO! NEVERMIND!" and made her remove it from my bill. As I left, I heard the person behind me, in his transaction, say, "But it says "FREE CANDY BAR!"

I just tried to complain online via their chat. They said I had to contact them on Monday at 1-800-925-4733, #4 or email Consumerrelations.bb@walgreens.com

Are they doing this at all the Walgreens in the Triangle?

Doesn't it seem like a scam, or at minimum, unethical?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 07:49 PM

206 posts, read 656,443 times
I would have complained as well. I would have been a total sucker for this-thanks for the heads up!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:05 PM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,049,489 times
Watch out for something similar at Starbucks. I went to the one near SouthPoint because I had to get directions from on-line and it said "complimentary WiFi" so I went in, bought tea and sat down with my computer -- it's NOT free. You have to buy some kind of card, or pay for some AT&T plan, etc. It was such a PITA and the poor guy working there looked like he had been through this a million times, trying to explain to customers how to get on-line and how it wasn't really free, etc. He agreed the sign was misleading!!!

I had someone ask me about some nasty looking brownie thing at Wallgreens, part of the same scam, I am sure. I was with my son and did NOT appreciate them pushing that kind of junk food on me when I am with a 4 year old who we are trying to encourage to eat healthy.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:10 PM

I was told by the manager today that it was part of a national effort by Walgreens to have its cashiers upsell products.

I'm going to talk to the manager tomorrow whose idea it was to have the sign and candy bars. (They never did give me the $1.99 candy bar that I paid for the first time.)

I'm not sure if the manager realizes how it appears to the customer. It was devised as a way to encourage the cashiers to upsell, so he was thinking of its effect on the cashier, but not on how it is perceived by the customer. But he'll know tomorrow.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,660,193 times
That's a PERFECT kind of thing to contact the "Troubleshooter" in the N&O or on TV about! They love things like that!

I was already avoiding Walgreens for some other similar BS that I can't even remember, but this clenches it.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:14 PM

I'll see what kind of response I get from the manager tomorrow before I decide to never step into their store again.

Up to this time, I LOVED our Walgreens, and some of the staff even know me by name. (I'm impressed by that alone.) The employees have always gone above and beyond as far as customer service.

It would be sad if a manager's decision ruined everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
That's a PERFECT kind of thing to contact the "Troubleshooter" in the N&O or on TV about! They love things like that!

I was already avoiding Walgreens for some other similar BS that I can't even remember, but this clenches it.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:55 PM

1,593 posts, read 2,691,024 times
Would you like the extended warranty on your free Candy bar?

If something happens to the candy bar you can bring and we will replace it.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:04 PM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times
I went by a Walgreens today and almost stopped to get my free candy bar
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary