U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-07-2010, 02:49 PM
 
Location: H. F.
98 posts, read 101,365 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I simply posted a link and accurately stated that the article related to the state of North Carolina. Not sure where you're coming up with the "are you implying" question from that. You can read the article for yourself and draw your own conclusions. I didn't offer any.
I only asked because this is not the NC forum. I would assume if you are posting it in a specific forum, then you might be suggesting it applies to the specific area. If it was in the NC forum, I would not have questioned it at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-07-2010, 03:43 PM
 
5,265 posts, read 14,570,274 times
Reputation: 4225
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
To support your argument that parts of New York are equally inexpensive compared to NYC I offer the following cost of living comparison between Albany NY and Raleigh. Raleigh is a tad more expensive because of housing(much more expensive) but cheaper in other areas. Thus it for the individual the relative cost will be greatly impacted by housing choice and which area/climate they prefer. Yes the individual exercising their choice of where to live.
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed



Raleigh is 1% more expensive than Albany.

Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Housing is 67% more expensive in Raleigh.
Not to knit pick but Just a note; Albany is also by far the most expensive region of NYS outside of the NYC metro.

Last edited by Yac; 03-30-2010 at 07:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-07-2010, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Cary
517 posts, read 1,399,150 times
Reputation: 802
Since the premise of this thread turned out to be faulty, anyone have recession-recovery stats that do include the Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 05:57 AM
 
Location: Raleigh,NC
351 posts, read 957,628 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Since the premise of this thread turned out to be faulty, anyone have recession-recovery stats that do include the Triangle?
Raleigh/Cary are ranked ninth in this recovery poll.

Full List: America's Fastest-Recovering Cities - Forbes.com

Things could be a lot worse locally.

Believe it - Triangle region lands record $1.9B in business projects :: The Skinny at Local Tech Wire
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 06:10 AM
 
5,463 posts, read 5,784,189 times
Reputation: 1803
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Raleigh is 1% more expensive than Albany.

Housing is the biggest factor in the cost of living difference.

Housing is 67% more expensive in Raleigh.
And keeping with the theme of thread, Albany's unemployment rate is also about 20% lower than Raleigh's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Raleigh,NC
351 posts, read 957,628 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And keeping with the theme of thread, Albany's unemployment rate is also about 20% lower than Raleigh's.
Say what? That's a gross over statement.

Albany 7% Raleigh 8.7%(That's not that big of a difference)

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 07:22 AM
 
1,840 posts, read 5,128,857 times
Reputation: 1664
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Say what? That's a gross over statement.

Albany 7% Raleigh 8.7%(That's not that big of a difference)

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Math fun!!!

If Raleigh's unemployment rate is 8.7%, and Albany's unemployment rate is 20% lower than Raleigh, what is Albany's unemployment rate?

Hours of entertainment!!!!

For the verbal part of our quiz, please define what you mean by "gross overstatement".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 AM
 
Location: H. F.
98 posts, read 101,365 times
Reputation: 55
When you average out the three areas that comprise the Triangle, our unemployment rate floats between 7%-8%. That isn't all that bad at all. I do predict the national unemployment rate will reach 20+ percent not too far down the road and the Triangle will reach 10+ percent. Hold onto your hats folks, it's going to get rough out there. Best be where you want to live for a long long long time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
 
1,489 posts, read 5,052,023 times
Reputation: 545
The other thing that I would say about that list is that it took into account the amount of change in the median home prices that were selling in the 3rd and 4th quarter. Since we never had a huge drop in our median home price like many of these other areas did, we won't really qualify for a list like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-08-2010, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
10,323 posts, read 18,671,749 times
Reputation: 11064
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadreamin' View Post
Quote:
Albany's unemployment rate is also about 20% lower than Raleigh's.
Say what? That's a gross over statement.

Albany 7% Raleigh 8.7%(That's not that big of a difference)
8.7% is 24% more than 7%

10% of "7%" is 0.7%
20% of "7%" is 1.4%

8.7% - 7% = 1.7%, which is above 1.4%, so saying it's 20% higher than Albany is actually an understatement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top