U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 10:02 AM

11,543 posts, read 17,888,825 times

Advertisements

Here's what I think is basically happening in the Triangle. For so very long, the Triangle was living in Shangri-La. Growth was out of this world, unemployment was almost non-existent, money was pouring into the area like no tomorrow with money pulled from houses sold in other parts of the where their local markets were grossly overheated: think FL, CA, Las Vegas, New England, etc.
The juxtaposition of this gravy train with today's reality is making some people panic and overreact. Sure, it's not like it used to be. But....No!, the Triangle is not as bad off as many places in the country. We have to keep this in perspective.
At the end of the day, the more talent that the Triangle can attract to area, the better. To recover from this downturn will take a lot of talent and those areas with the talent will lead in the next economy. It seems to me that we hear from a lot of talented people wishing to make the move. I say that we embrace them as our part of roadmap to the future.
As for "not having a job" before moving to the area, keep in mind that there are actually people out there that can take a risk and make a move AND support themselves in the meantime with their savings and investments. So, let's please not be presumptuous as to others' abilities to make and support their own educated decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:13 AM

5,798 posts, read 5,238,468 times
Given the presence of three solid research universities, as well as the fact that Raleigh is also the state capital, are those two key reasons why Raleigh is in better shape from an employment and/or quality of life standpoint than Charlotte?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:20 AM

10,323 posts, read 18,664,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
At the end of the day, the more talent that the Triangle can attract to area, the better. To recover from this downturn will take a lot of talent and those areas with the talent will lead in the next economy. It seems to me that we hear from a lot of talented people wishing to make the move. I say that we embrace them as our part of roadmap to the future.
So then, how do we ensure that only those with quote-unquote "talent" are the ones coming here jobless? I see lots of posts from people saying "We just need to get the **** out of where I live, so here we come to NC", no mention of what "talent" they are planning to provide or often any forethought. Then at the same time, experienced talented people who've already been living here--such as our own J_Lurk and her husband--are having to move to other states to find work. I believe it's better for an area, both economically and sociologically, to keep the talent it already has at hand, rather than be flooded with unemployed people with no real tie to the area, seeking first and foremost to escape somewhere else.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:48 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,691,615 times
Francois what is the right reason to move to the Triangle?

Old 03-08-2010, 12:51 PM

22,770 posts, read 25,192,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjap View Post
Some advise is not welcomed. No one has the right to squash someone's dream of a better life here (if that's what they believe/want).
Oh, bull, that is clearly established under our right to free speech.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,705,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
So then, how do we ensure that only those with quote-unquote "talent" are the ones coming here jobless? I see lots of posts from people saying "We just need to get the **** out of where I live, so here we come to NC", no mention of what "talent" they are planning to provide or often any forethought. Then at the same time, experienced talented people who've already been living here--such as our own J_Lurk and her husband--are having to move to other states to find work. I believe it's better for an area, both economically and sociologically, to keep the talent it already has at hand, rather than be flooded with unemployed people with no real tie to the area, seeking first and foremost to escape somewhere else.
But that is the choice of the individual and freedom of movement is a basic right we all have to exercise.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:59 PM

29,462 posts, read 33,705,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
And keeping with the theme of thread, Albany's unemployment rate is also about 20% lower than Raleigh's.
And the individual will weigh all of that and exercise their choice of where to live and how much snow to shovel.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:24 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,888,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I guess I see the whole issue differently. To me, future growth demands a lot of different levels of skill sets. Certainly the "knowledge worker" is a huge important key to the future, but that's not everyone.
The Triangle has consistently attracted more than its fair share of such people as part of the overall migration. I am NOT looking to cherry pick these people as the "allowable" newbies. What I am saying is that a welcomed migration will likely continue to include more than Raleigh's fair share of creative thought leaders and that they will help lead to a stronger future. J_Lurk and her husband may have to leave for a job but, rest assured, others will be moving to the area to take jobs. If we lose more talent than we recieve, that's when the real danger exists. I would much rather have a temporarily higher than average unemployment rate (though the Triangle is actually under the national average rate, isn't it?) with a strong and growing talent pool than have a lower unemployment rate and constantly bleed some of the most promising talent for the future. In the end, Raleigh's future is bright.
But, then again, that's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary