U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 12:34 PM

20 posts, read 15,593 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My wife and I, both late 20s, are relocating from the Boston area. I am going to be working at Duke Hospital. We have 1 (maybe 2 soon) dog and no kids. I was looking online and found perhaps too much information on the area and I have no idea even what town to live in, let alone what area or subdivision.

I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some advice. We are looking to spend less than 300,000 and would ideally like a place with at least 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms and 2 car garage. NOT a townhouse.
Ideally the commute to Duke hospital would be 20minutes or less on average.

We are open to subdivisions or regular homes (again just not townhouses). Also, an area where it's possible to walk to a decent grocery store or restaurants from time to time would be a nice plus.

Also, in terms of subdivisions, are there any builders I should avoid for specific reasons (such as exorbitant upgrade pricing, shady tactics, poor quality, etc)

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as Im a bit overwhelmed at this point!

Last edited by deezwho; 03-07-2010 at 01:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 12:37 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,850,386 times
"If possible an area with a fair number of fellow new englanders..."

You're kidding, right?

Old 03-07-2010, 12:45 PM

222 posts, read 472,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
"If possible an area with a fair number of fellow new englanders..."

You're kidding, right?
Yeah, even just having moved down from New England myself, I'm a little confused by this.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:01 PM

20 posts, read 15,593 times
considering I know nothing about the area Im not sure if your comment is supposed to be sarcastic or not. Therefore I will edit my original post and delete the line since it's causing an issue apparently...

Old 03-07-2010, 01:29 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,167,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezwho View Post
considering I know nothing about the area Im not sure if your comment is supposed to be sarcastic or not. Therefore I will edit my original post and delete the line since it's causing an issue apparently...
Don't worry about it - there are lots of transplants here from all parts of New England and elsewhere. But whether from there or not, I think you'll find people here to be welcoming. Good luck with your relocation.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:50 PM

840 posts, read 3,007,312 times
Don't take the online humor too personally. The pp was just poking fun due to the LARGE number of people in the Triangle from the Northeast (more specifically, the ones that post here). It's almost as if a black person looking to move to Durham got on here and said, "Will I be welcomed here?" LOL! The thread would be totally lit up with sarcastic replies.

Anyway, I think you really need to utilize the search feature on CD as your post has been asked before probably on a weekly basis. Use search terms like "move to Durham" "relocate to Durham", "job at Duke", "buy a house in Durham". I hope you get the hang of it. The list can be endless and you'll never be in short supply of search results.

Be aware. It is overwhelming as it would be overwhelming for anyone relocating anywhere, but I think the vastness of the internet makes it that much more emotionally draining to actually make a decision. Heck, I was drained just trying to find a hotel for a trip here just to check out the place. I was relieved when my husband's friend just said, "stay at this hotel. It's nice and cheap." Great! My stress was immediately gone. I think this is what you're looking for, but can honestly say with a move as big as this, you'll want to have more to go on than someone replying to this particular thread.

Hope that helps!

Old 03-07-2010, 03:40 PM

3,744 posts, read 9,443,680 times
New England transplant here...yes, we are everywhere. You will find many many people "pahking their cahs" around these parts!

Old 03-07-2010, 07:16 PM

2,530 posts, read 7,927,742 times
Check out Old West Durham for walkability, but it might be tough to find a 2-car garage. There are a number of newer neighborhoods that fit your other criteria: American Village, Buckwater Creek/Fieldstone By The Eno/Woodcroft/etc. In fact, you might find the walkability you want in Woodcroft depending on where in the n-hood you are.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:27 PM

997 posts, read 4,161,179 times
You can check out the area around Southpoint. There is a mall (one of the nicest in the Triangle), shopping and restaurants. The area is right off of 40. Commute to Duke wouldn't be too bad. Good luck.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:00 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,850,386 times
No, that wasn't my intent in my response to the original post-er who wants to live where there are many New Englanders.

I just think it's humorous that someone from New England is moving to a medium-sized "Southern" town and PREFERS to live somewhere where there are others JUST LIKE the people they left in New England. One might want to reconsider moving if they feel that strongly

It's also humorous to think the writer thinks that there are SO many New Englanders who have moved to the medium-sized "Southern" town that there are actually huge pockets of them spread around and that they are readily identifiable in such a way that local residents can say, "Yes, go to the New England Village subdivision (not a real subdivision by the way), where you'll find lots of New Englanders who have found it's the very perfect place to live."

My point is: Embrace your new location, and you'll be much happier. Don't try to replicate where you're from. There's a whole big new world out here with lots of great people -- of all backgrounds, races, beliefs, political thoughts, etc.

Do not be afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mia78 View Post
Don't take the online humor too personally. The pp was just poking fun due to the LARGE number of people in the Triangle from the Northeast (more specifically, the ones that post here). It's almost as if a black person looking to move to Durham got on here and said, "Will I be welcomed here?" LOL! The thread would be totally lit up with sarcastic replies.

Anyway, I think you really need to utilize the search feature on CD as your post has been asked before probably on a weekly basis. Use search terms like "move to Durham" "relocate to Durham", "job at Duke", "buy a house in Durham". I hope you get the hang of it. The list can be endless and you'll never be in short supply of search results.

Be aware. It is overwhelming as it would be overwhelming for anyone relocating anywhere, but I think the vastness of the internet makes it that much more emotionally draining to actually make a decision. Heck, I was drained just trying to find a hotel for a trip here just to check out the place. I was relieved when my husband's friend just said, "stay at this hotel. It's nice and cheap." Great! My stress was immediately gone. I think this is what you're looking for, but can honestly say with a move as big as this, you'll want to have more to go on than someone replying to this particular thread.

Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary