Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 3,560 times

Advertisements

I'm going to be moving to Raleigh in a few months and am looking for recommendations for good neighborhoods.

I'm a student, just finishing grad school, and I'm looking for a younger, liberal, friendly community to find an apartment. I'll be working in Goldsboro, east of Raleigh, so I'd like to stay inside the beltline and towards the east or center of the city for a shorter commute. If I can find a walkable neighborhood, where I won't have to take the car to stores, cafes, bars, etc after my long drive home, that would be the best. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:36 PM

98 posts, read 131,565 times
There are no such things are gay friendly neighborhoods here. There is not one that is gay friendly and another that is not. The entire area is pretty much I don't care what you do if you don't care what I do. For towns that are overall more mixed in the social elements, you would need to think of Carrboro or Hillsborough. Both these are too far for you. You should just pick what area you want to live in for things to do and you will be fine.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:50 PM

11 posts, read 30,404 times
Like KornFed said, there aren't really any communities that lean one way or another. I haven't heard of any hostility toward homosexuals.
My mom, a hairdresser, has plenty of gay friends, and they usually tend to migrate towards Downtown Raleigh on the weekends so anywhere near that would be ideal. Also the development near Six Forks Road and North Hills, a beautiful shopping center in northeast Raleigh, is a very open-minded and upper class area where connections are easy to make and there's plenty of things to do.
But overall, the whole area is welcoming of anyone with something to bring to the culture and economy, especially educated individuals.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:56 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Hi, ROC, as an actual gay person (who doesn't refer to people as "homosexuals" ), I know of a few places where the gayfolks tend to congregate, but as said earlier, almost anywhere in Raleigh, you'd find tolerant neighbors, likely welcoming ones.

Oakwood and Mordecai east of downtown are the typical "old, gentrified" neighborhoods where you always find gay men; also, almost any condo project downtown will have a few gay couples, especially the ones near Hargeet St. which is Raleigh's own "Castro St" with two gay bars and a GLBT bookstore (The Dawson on Morgan is a popular condo building there, which has the popular restaurant The Borough right downstairs). But there is plenty of Family in the newer, higher-rise condo projects since they tend to be good accommodations for folks without kids.

PM me for more firsthand info on being gay in Raleigh if you wish--I'm a native

Old 03-07-2010, 09:35 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,026,401 times
You might enjoy Cameron Village for the walkability factor. As others have said, it won't be a problem that you're gay.

Old 03-08-2010, 04:25 AM

171 posts, read 430,057 times
Finding a walkable neighborhood can be a challenge. It depends on your budget, but I think it's tough to beat the greater Mordecai area (up to Brookside-ish) for a relative walkable neighborhood with a high concentration of younger people. I wanted to buy a home, and went a bit further out to the other side of Raleigh Blvd. It's not commercially walkable, but we have made a ton of friends that live in Windsor Park, Lockwood, College Park, Mordecai, etc. Good luck!

Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Should be okay most anywhere here I'd venture to say.

Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM

39 posts, read 99,750 times
Anyone know much about the Five Points area? I had a friend that lived there years ago, so its been a while since I've been there, but it seemed to have some walkable areas with a few bars and eats nearby. Anyone know if it's a good area to live in, and whether there are places for rent there?

Old 03-09-2010, 09:08 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,089,036 times
Yes it's a good area to live in.

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,607 times
Francois - Can can't give you rep, but I love your posts.

I was going to suggest Oakwood and Mordecai too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary