Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:28 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times

Advertisements

May I ask what segment of the industry you are in? Depending on the size of your company, there might be state incentives. If you are a small business owner, S-Corp, I would still contact the govrs office to see if there are any upcoming incentives.

Are you looking at Mooresville so that you can do business in Charlotte? If so, have you posted on that forum also?

PS - Looking back at your post you might need to know about the Free Trade Zone here. http://www.nccommerce.com/en/Busines...ntives/ftz.htm there is one at the RDU airport, either Wilmington or Morehead City, and Global Trans Park nr Goldsboro? In fact, I don't know that the park ever took off. They built all kinds of infrastructure for it. You might get a huge incentive for going there if your biz is of sufficient value to the state.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 03-09-2010 at 08:40 AM.. Reason: added PS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOne View Post
I am considering moving two new companies I have formed to the Raleigh, NC from the Dallas, Texas area. These companies are involved in the GREEN BUILDING industry and we hope to be international players and a one stop shop for all things involving green building. Other areas I am considering are Greenville, SC, Mooresville, NC, Nashville, TN, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX. I need the inside scoop on what would make the Raleigh area a great choice.
NC green? Is this a trick question?Come on over the market here is wide open for you.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-09-2010 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: Just fixed the coding

Old 03-09-2010, 10:20 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
I think if you want to be an international player, you may want to have your headquarters here in the Triangle where there are many other multinational corporations.

The Triangle area is known as a technological hub and is known internationally.

Consider the situation if you were based in Mooresville or Greenville. Your contacts would say, "Where? Never heard of that." And Nashville -- that's great if you have a music company.

Texas is just too hot and uncomfortable, and you have to drive forever to get anywhere.

In the Triangle, you are two hours from the ocean and four hours from the mountains.

It's closer to the East Coast, too, so if you need to travel to NYC for any reason, it's more convenient.

If you like South Carolina, you can always vacation at Myrtle Beach or Hilton Head; it's not that far.

The Triangle offers all kinds of housing options, too, for you and for your employees. It has lots of apartments, condos/townhomes, and single family homes from under $200K to millions of dollars.

Here is James Taylor, singing about North Carolina last year at a concert in Rotterdam, The Netherlands, to put you in the mood to move to the Tar Heel state.

(The embedding feature is disabled, but just click the arrow and then click "Watch on YouTube.")

YouTube - James Taylor - North Sea Jazz 2009 - Carolina In My Mind

Old 03-09-2010, 12:34 PM

1,074 posts, read 3,246,419 times
The first responder hit the nail on the head with one portion of the acronym: Educated workforce. To me, the best thing about Raleigh is that a large portion of the populace has a college degree or higher and comes off as knowledgeable without looking to cut others down. You will be able to hire driven, educated, motivated people to staff your companies, and that will make everything you do a lot easier.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:42 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,425 times
Quote:
I am considering moving two new companies I have formed to the Raleigh, NC from the Dallas, Texas area. These companies are involved in the GREEN BUILDING industry and we hope to be international players and a one stop shop for all things involving green building. Other areas I am considering are Greenville, SC, Mooresville, NC, Nashville, TN, Austin, TX, and San Antonio, TX. I need the inside scoop on what would make the Raleigh area a great choice.
I guess you have read how generous the NC grants to relocating businesses are which is one reason to consider - on the negative, you will have to pay State income tax which you don't pay in Texas.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:48 PM

355 posts, read 957,977 times
Because Raleigh-Durham is America's smartest city...er cities...er metropolis area...thing:
America's Smartest Cities—From First to Worst - The Daily Beast (http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2009-10-04/americas-smartest-cities---from-first-to-worst/?cid=bs:archive9#gallery=787;page=1 - broken link)

Old 03-19-2010, 11:03 AM

36 posts, read 83,144 times
Default Considering moving my GREEN BUILDING companies to the area

I am considering moving my new start-up GREEN BUILDING companies to the area from Dallas, Texas and wanted to get the positives and negatives on locating in Chapel Hill vs. other cities in the area. I don't want to start a war on here, just want the inside scoop, so I can make the right decision on where to place my companies. Any knowledge on incentives, grants, etc...from the cities or state would be helpful. We are a one stop shop for all things involving green building from brokerage of LEED certified buildings to the Architecture, Engineering, Construction services offered. If it involves GREEN BUILDING, we do it. I am also interested in any recommendations for a contemporary Southern Baptist place of worship that has upbeat music as part of the worship service. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 5,455 times
I don't know much about the city, only what I've been reading on the net and through these threads but something is drawing me to Raleigh. I plan on moving there within the next month and need a job. So, give me a jingle when you relocate.

Old 03-19-2010, 12:40 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,657 times
Quote:
I am considering moving my new start-up GREEN BUILDING companies to the area from Dallas, Texas and wanted to get the positives and negatives on locating in Chapel Hill vs. other cities in the area. I don't want to start a war on here, just want the inside scoop, so I can make the right decision on where to place my companies. Any knowledge on incentives, grants, etc...from the cities or state would be helpful. We are a one stop shop for all things involving green building from brokerage of LEED certified buildings to the Architecture, Engineering, Construction services offered. If it involves GREEN BUILDING, we do it. I am also interested in any recommendations for a contemporary Southern Baptist place of worship that has upbeat music as part of the worship service. Your input is greatly appreciated.
Just an FYI - Are you an engineering/architect or going to be a licensed contractor? NC has a licesing Board for every profession there is and unless you are licensed with them you cannot advertise or offer thise services.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:38 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
GreenOne - I just DM'd you some info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary