U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:07 AM

4 posts, read 10,262 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting Raleigh in August and would love suggestions on places to stay and things to do. We have four small children under the age of 5 and an au pair traveling with us. We're not loaded so price is a consideration, but safety is more concern. Any recommendations on places to stay that offer amenities for kids nearby? Parks? Swimming pools? Musuems? We are really into the outdoors and would love access to outdoor activities, although I'm sure it will be dog breath hot at the time we're there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 12:41 PM

70 posts, read 268,255 times
The Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh is really good for young kids. It's 4 levels. My 2yo son is thrilled just riding the escalators up and down! lol The best part is it's free!

Last edited by skywalkerzmom; 03-08-2010 at 01:59 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:25 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
For a cheap good time for an hour or so with those kids, I'd stop by Triangle Town Center and let them run around the indoor play area. Kids LOVE it. All they do is run around and crawl over things. Your five-year-old might be too tall, but he or she could "help" the littler ones. It's free.

Then go to the food court and get them something that you wouldn't usually get them -- some kind of little McDonald's ice cream treat or something.

Make sure they have their swimsuits on under the clothes and have them run around the area outside of the food court that has the "dancing" water spray coming out of the cement. Again, the little kids LOVE it. They're fun to watch, too. Bring a few towels.

All that fun for the price of some McDonald's ice cream.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-08-2010 at 01:55 PM..

Old 03-08-2010, 01:32 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,880,077 times
Pullen Park + Aquatic Center is a great public park for families. There's a nice play lot, a lake with paddle boats, a historic carousel, a kiddie train ride, picnic areas and carnival type refreshments. The pool is indoors and can be attended for a small fee.
The park is free but the train ride and carousel require a ticket. I don't think it's expensive though.
Pullen Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-08-2010, 01:39 PM

997 posts, read 4,158,951 times
I like to stay at the Embassy Suites with kids. They have seperate bedrooms and a sitting area with a pullout. Mini fridge and microwave. Indoor pool. There is one in Cary on Harrison/West and N. Raleigh at Glenwood/Creedmoor.

August is hot. Indoor activities there are the malls. Triangle Town, Crabtree, and Southpoint. Museum of Life and Science (indoor and outdoor part). Marbles Museum. Monkey Joes playplace.

Outdoor activities. Pullen Park (my favorite). Zoo in Asheboro. Shelley Lake and Lake Lynn (not for swimming).

Old 03-08-2010, 01:56 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
If you do want to swim, you can go to a public pool or take a drive out to Jordan Lake for a sand beach.
N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Jordan Lake State Recreation Area

Old 03-08-2010, 05:04 PM

122 posts, read 383,224 times
I agree that the Museum of Natural Science is great and the History museum is right beside it. We usually hit both if we go at all. Jordan lake has a "beach" that my kids love. You have to pay a $5 entrance fee to get into the campground, but totally worth it! The swim area is roped off and we always pack a big cooler, have a picnic and make a day of it. There are some great parks/playgrounds in Cary. I think it is called Kids Together park. It's big and has shade in lots of areas which is nice.
If you go to the zoo, be prepared for LOTS of walking, uphill both ways (ha ha). It is very spread out, and has lots of hills. It's great, but you'll get a workout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary