U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2010, 10:35 AM

37 posts, read 79,823 times

Advertisements

Hillsborough is our #1 top pick for ideal location to raise our family! We love the vibe, the incredible beauty, the progressive nature etc. etc. etc. We can get into Churton Grove in a few months...I just want to hear what you guys think about the schools. I have a rising 2nd grader and a kindy starting up this Fall with two more little ones on their heels. Do your kids attend Cameron Park? Do you love it? Not so much??? We do not want/need crazy competitiveness, but a good, nurturing, challenging school is really important. Do you live in Hillsborough and homeschool? Attend a private school? If so, let me know that too. We can always go the route of Chapel Hill too - and we will if the Orange Co schools make it necessary - but it certainly isn't Hillsborough
Thanks so much...and we hope to be your neighbor soon!
Corly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:57 AM

41 posts, read 181,436 times
I am moving to Churton Grove in the next two months. The new phase is not covered by Cameron Park but by Pathways I think. From speaking to soon to be neighbors most people are happy with Cameron Park, which has good results and a good atmosphere. The Orange County school system seems to have good results whilst not being too competitive like Chapel Hill or some oareas of Cary. I know two children at the Orange Charter school and they really enjoy it (a child there won the regional spelling bee last week) and it has a great academic record. Cedar Ridge high school (one of the two high schools in the district) has the International Baccalaureate (IB) which is a very well regarded academic achievement for university entry.
Hope this helped.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 9,578,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corlyjones View Post
Hillsborough is our #1 top pick for ideal location to raise our family! We love the vibe, the incredible beauty, the progressive nature etc. etc. etc. We can get into Churton Grove in a few months...I just want to hear what you guys think about the schools. I have a rising 2nd grader and a kindy starting up this Fall with two more little ones on their heels. Do your kids attend Cameron Park? Do you love it? Not so much??? We do not want/need crazy competitiveness, but a good, nurturing, challenging school is really important. Do you live in Hillsborough and homeschool? Attend a private school? If so, let me know that too. We can always go the route of Chapel Hill too - and we will if the Orange Co schools make it necessary - but it certainly isn't Hillsborough
Thanks so much...and we hope to be your neighbor soon!
Corly
I recommend emailing the school's PTA for info too. You get a good idea of the parent's perspective by doing so. Also maybe post this on trianglemommies.

Good luck with your move.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM

4,618 posts, read 10,494,859 times
We have lived in Churton Grove for about 3 years now and love it here in Hillsborough....previously lived in Chapel Hill.

Cameron Park is a fantastic school, couldn't be happier with it. The prinicipal is terrific, they have a fantastic school counselor and an amazing PE teacher that the kids all love.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Guy....are you sure about the new phase going to Pathways? I haven't looked into it and you may very well be right....I do know that the homes in the front part of the new phase by the bridge all have kids that go to Cameron Park. They are on the same bus as my kids. Maybe the back half of the new section goes elsewhere?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
We have lived in Churton Grove for about 3 years now and love it here in Hillsborough....previously lived in Chapel Hill.

Cameron Park is a fantastic school, couldn't be happier with it. The prinicipal is terrific, they have a fantastic school counselor and an amazing PE teacher that the kids all love.

I don't think you will be disappointed.

Guy....are you sure about the new phase going to Pathways? I haven't looked into it and you may very well be right....I do know that the homes in the front part of the new phase by the bridge all have kids that go to Cameron Park. They are on the same bus as my kids. Maybe the back half of the new section goes elsewhere?
Sorry I realised my error the children in the new phase are districted for Hillsborough Elementary which has a reasonable reputation. So when we move in we will be looking at Orange Charter school which is K-8 and has small class sizes, a good reputation and links to a good middle school.

Sorry for the error.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:12 AM

82 posts, read 209,438 times
Default Guy...children cannot get

districted to Hillsborough Elementary (year round calendar) because it is a school of choice. any child living anywhere in orange county can go to HES, you have to apply & then there is a lottery. I cant speak for Churton Grove, but I know years ago, the OCSS redrew the lines & it seems like all of the Churton Grove kids who were in Pathways were sent to Cam. Park. It was my understanding that all of Churton Grove was now in Cam Park not only because the lines were redrawn but because Pathways had to make room for kids from Efland Cheeks & Central who were allowed to transfer in due to their schools low test scores.

regarding high schools, i am 99.9% certain that the high school district for churton grove is orange high school, not cedar ridge. there are ways you can get a child into cedar ridge, but it involves choosing particular programs of study. also, i am not sure what you mean when you wrote that orange charter links to a middle school...in fact, orange charter is both a middle & an elementary school. their classes are grades k-8. im a parent with 2 kids in pathways, with one possibly heading to orange charter school in sept 10. orange charter is also a lottery school. their lottery was held 2 weeks ago, so if you didnt apply/get a spot & you want your kids going there in sept 2010, you might want to give them a call.

anyway, for the original poster - we know many families who are very happy to be in cam park. they have high levels of parent involvement & low teacher turnover. while orange charter has small class sizes (which seems to fluctuate by year & they dont have a solid maximum # from what I can tell) class size maximums are dictated by the state in the elementary schools. the one thing about cam park that surprises people who are newcomers - the school building itself is very old. they have added a few modern touches to the general areas. i believe the trailers outside the school house the speech therapy staff that evaluate, it seems, kids younger than elementary age. i have wondered what their technology is like. i would think they would have had to do a major electrical overhaul if they have an updated computer lab.

anyway, OP, good luck with your decision!

Last edited by roguesmom; 03-11-2010 at 10:27 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 11:35 AM

37 posts, read 79,823 times
Thanks for all the replies. I have been talking with the builder's agent in Churton Grove and it looks like the new homes are also going to Cameron Park (according to her, at one point a couple years ago they were going to split it up but decided against it). Also, for one of the other posters on this thread - the lottery is complete for next Fall and I checked for my children, and both 2nd grade and Kindegarten have loooooong waiting lists.

Again, thanks for all the great information.

Old 03-15-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguesmom View Post
districted to Hillsborough Elementary (year round calendar) because it is a school of choice. any child living anywhere in orange county can go to HES, you have to apply & then there is a lottery. I cant speak for Churton Grove, but I know years ago, the OCSS redrew the lines & it seems like all of the Churton Grove kids who were in Pathways were sent to Cam. Park. It was my understanding that all of Churton Grove was now in Cam Park not only because the lines were redrawn but because Pathways had to make room for kids from Efland Cheeks & Central who were allowed to transfer in due to their schools low test scores.

regarding high schools, i am 99.9% certain that the high school district for churton grove is orange high school, not cedar ridge. there are ways you can get a child into cedar ridge, but it involves choosing particular programs of study. also, i am not sure what you mean when you wrote that orange charter links to a middle school...in fact, orange charter is both a middle & an elementary school. their classes are grades k-8. im a parent with 2 kids in pathways, with one possibly heading to orange charter school in sept 10. orange charter is also a lottery school. their lottery was held 2 weeks ago, so if you didnt apply/get a spot & you want your kids going there in sept 2010, you might want to give them a call.

anyway, for the original poster - we know many families who are very happy to be in cam park. they have high levels of parent involvement & low teacher turnover. while orange charter has small class sizes (which seems to fluctuate by year & they dont have a solid maximum # from what I can tell) class size maximums are dictated by the state in the elementary schools. the one thing about cam park that surprises people who are newcomers - the school building itself is very old. they have added a few modern touches to the general areas. i believe the trailers outside the school house the speech therapy staff that evaluate, it seems, kids younger than elementary age. i have wondered what their technology is like. i would think they would have had to do a major electrical overhaul if they have an updated computer lab.

anyway, OP, good luck with your decision!
Thanks for the update. You are right that the high school for Churton Grove children is Orange High. This makes sense as it is very close. I never said that Cedar Ridge was the HS, I only mentioned Cedar Ridge because it is possible to get in there from CG and it is a very highly recommended HS (which followed on from mentioning that Cameron Park is highly recommended).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary