U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 08:52 AM

6 posts, read 15,168 times

Advertisements

Thank you to all of you, your opinions are invaluable! For new people who move here, this form is a great tool.

Also to give you some more info were are looking to rent (house, townhouse), because we are still trying to sell our house in Puerto Rico, and we also want to get to know the area better before we buy. Again though, thanks for all your help, it is greatly appricated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 03:12 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,608,566 times
When we were looking in the area in 2007 we were mostly interested in good schools. While Wake is still in flux, at that time we were told to avoid the schools because of the constant changing of the redistricting lines.
Deep down I wanted to live in Chapel Hill anyway even tho it is most expensive. Just the general atmosphere, my history with the area and finding exactly the right house for us here in Chapel Hill.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM

29 posts, read 73,396 times
Chapel Hill is eclectic with lots of local business/flavor. Cary is generic suburbia with big box stores and strip malls. Chapel Hill also has a nightlife and is a college town. Cary seems more strictly family oriented.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:00 PM

616 posts, read 1,264,568 times
We are trying to get to Chapel Hill, we live in Fuquay spend a whole lotta time in Cary, I say Chapel Hill hands down.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:55 PM

472 posts, read 769,679 times
I live in Chapel Hill at the moment, and I'd have to say Cary -- Cary has more 'genuine' foreign things, like the nice big Asian supermarket etc. For diversity of people and things, Cary wins this one hands down.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:42 PM

4 posts, read 9,322 times
Chapel Hill has much more of a small town feel. I walk my daughter to elementary school every day and have friends in the neighborhood who went to the neighborhood school thirty years ago. It might just be my neighborhood, but there is not as much moving in and out of the area as you'd see in Cary.

I agree that Cary has more genuine diversity, but if that is your top concern that you'd be best off looking at Durham. If schools are your priority, I think Chapel Hill is a great choice. You mentioned that you'll be renting. Chapel Hill has a lot of affordable apartments, but renting a house can be expensive here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary