Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 06:38 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times

Advertisements

Most people are against the mandatory year round deal, but like whitney said....there's nothing you can do about it. People keep trying to (justifiably) fight all of the stupid and drastic changed they make to the schools every year, but "they" never listen and do whatever "they" think is right anyways. Eventhough most of "them" are in their 50's and 60's and don't have any kids in the school system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2006, 06:47 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,978 times
here where I am when the schools want to change things, years ago bussing was an issue, we have local politicians who try and help when enough people make enough noise...are there any local assemblyman to help

Old 06-25-2006, 08:18 PM

311 posts, read 618,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WenIs02
here where I am when the schools want to change things, years ago bussing was an issue, we have local politicians who try and help when enough people make enough noise...are there any local assemblyman to help
In the local paper where my parents live (Clayton) there was an article and letters to the editor about the school board increasing the lenght of the school day...locals found out about it the day this was to be voted on by the school board. They learned of it by reading the Raleigh News and Observer, not by any information in Clayton or Johnston County. I think the decision was to be shelved until later.
i'minformed said it correctly: "They: don't listen and "they" do what "they" choose to do....unfortunately, lots of people forget this when the next election comes around.

Old 06-26-2006, 06:15 PM

24 posts, read 201,367 times
amen truth teller!! Sounds like Florida too ( not the schools, but just about all else)

Old 07-19-2006, 08:10 PM

21 posts, read 199,644 times
can anyone tell me where to go to get the statistics about the crimes happening in the schools i.e, specifically the posting above re: rapes, etc.

Old 07-20-2006, 05:36 AM

741 posts, read 3,510,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
Well... truth teller, I can support that your name rings true by just the first sentance in bold of your post. But I'm not gonna TOUCH the rest. Except for that it is sadly true though, that a lot slips under the radar. They are too worried about making sure kids don't have their cell phones on or where hats or jackets in class.... that they let things like 5 year olds getting raped on the school bus, and kids selling drugs and packing knves in even the really nice schools. Unfortunetly as well, is that those aren't hypothetical but rather specific examples.
What the **********! 5 yr. old's being raped on the bus. You can't be serious... I sure hope your not serious. tell us more about these sicko's. Is this raper in prison.. Just what gratification can someone possibly get out of raping a 5 yr. old. This burns me up. Un ****** believable!

Old 07-20-2006, 06:16 AM

36 posts, read 219,027 times
Are these problems in all parts of Wake County?? Raleigh zip codes, Cary, Apex, etc.?? Please give us more details!! Thanks!

Old 07-20-2006, 07:33 AM

1,531 posts, read 7,407,422 times
Well, my two (or more) cents:
The schools are overcrowded to two big reasons...(1) partly due to so many developments being added in the county and (2) partly due to rampant breeding. (If I address the latter of the two, I'll probably offend some people so let's look at the first reason.)

The governments in the area...both the county and the various towns...are so full of "free-market" conservatives, that the very thought of trying to control all the growth or put it in check drives them nuts.
Smart growth? They don't know the meaning of the word!
Impact fees on new development to pay for the new schools needed? Heck no...the GOP majority on the County Commission will not even consider it!
So what does that leave you? Raise taxes (which they don't like either) or try to pass a mega-huge bond, which will probably eventually lead to higher taxes, too.

Yes, converting schools to year-round would help the problem a little bit. (And funny how the people who are causing this overcrowding are the ones whining the most about that possibility.)

Meanwhile, people like me who try to help this problem by NOT having any children at all....are taxed highly while people who just continuously have one baby after another get tax breaks (from the feds & state) for each one they add to the system. What's fair (or logic) about that?? If it were the other way around, you better bet the school crowding would drop dramatically! LOL

As far as anyone who's moving to the area goes, my suggestion would be to try to find a home deep inside Raleigh's urban core neighborhoods. These are older, more established neighborhoods with healthy balances between families and childless adults. The benefit? Since the schoolage population in those areas is smaller than the rest of the county, the schools there are less-crowded, smaller, and more community-based. You even see kids walking to their neighborhood schools here......something that doesn't happen hardly at all in the suburbs where they're often reassigned back and forth across the county. So keep that in mind.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:55 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
What the **********! 5 yr. old's being raped on the bus. You can't be serious... I sure hope your not serious. tell us more about these sicko's. Is this raper in prison.. Just what gratification can someone possibly get out of raping a 5 yr. old. This burns me up. Un ****** believable!
This was about 3 years ago, and it was 5 year olds being abused by the 13 year old 5th graders. It was UNBELIEVEBLY only on the news for ONE DAY. My wife wrote an editorial to the News&Observer telling them to elaborate and follow up on the story.... but got no reply. It was a bus coming from Dillard Elementary school.... which is where my daugther went up until that year!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:27 AM

21 posts, read 199,644 times
I would really be interested in hearing all points of view re: the school system. I know I cannot just look at numbers, but the numbers look fantastic as far as education. Please PM if you would like to discuss further - the positives as well as negatives. I would really appreciate all the input I can get in making this enormous decision. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary