U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 09:46 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,848,402 times

Advertisements

You bought something for $10K? Where do you live -- in a car?

Please tell us that's a typo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Home prices range from the multi-million to the what I bought for $10k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:17 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,448,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Dansdrive - be careful saying you got your house for $10k, or we are going to have to start explaining to folks that houses are way more expensive than that here

There is a listing in Durham for $9.9K. So I do research what I type and one can find homes from that price upward to the millions! Our area has ample homes for just about anyone's taste and budget!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:20 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,448,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
You bought something for $10K? Where do you live -- in a car?

Please tell us that's a typo!

No typo and no I did not buy it...thought about it but........but happy with what I got!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:17 PM

423 posts, read 936,995 times
You'll quickly learn if someone invites you over for BBQ that means a smoked pig, not hamburgers and hotdogs on the grill--that's a cookout.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM

12 posts, read 27,740 times
WOW! Thanks for all the great responses! I love learning/hearing things directly from people who are living in the area! Thanks so much!!!

Old 03-10-2010, 03:05 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,645,868 times
Most non southerners think BBQ is a verb---but oh no---it is a noun here. Nobody would say "Come over and we will BBQ outside" They would say "We'll grill or cookout".

I once went to a party and sat beside a very grumpy New Yorker. She was pissed because she said she had been invited to a BBQ but the hostess had it catered and she felt cheated. It was the best BBQ ever and when I tried to explain the difference between the noun and the verb she looked at me like I was from Mars.

Old 03-10-2010, 05:26 PM

98 posts, read 101,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms324 View Post
I think I was too vague in my original question...whoops!

What I meant was, what are some quirks/interesting facts/things you have learned about the culture in NC after moving there ? For instance, I am from Boston, and we have a reputation for being 'terrible drivers'. We also have a HUGE rivalry against the NY Yankees. Also, certain areas of the city are all Italian, or all Irish, for instance. Does that make sense? Just looking to hear some little known things (even if they are just stereotypes) that one may not learn until actually moving to the area.

Hope that makes more sense. Thanks again!
I have two that I think stand right out.

There is a big image/perception battle between Durham and Raleigh. One always trash talks the other or tries to outdo the other. It's funny to watch them battle it out.

There is also a city vs suburb battle. Not much of a battle. The city lovers have a major league issue with the suburbs. The suburban people are pretty quiet about it all.

I think all this comes with the extensive growth over the last couple decades. People and towns trying to find their way and establish, improve or maintain their image.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:28 PM

11,543 posts, read 17,893,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Inside scoop......let me get them out before they melt away!

More sun here than where most come from, especially the NE and NW territories!
Sun glass a must here while usually only fashionable in the NE and NW territories!
Yankees - Boston rivalry transports very nicely here. In other words its a push!
Spring and Fall are both long and beautiful.
Winter remains leave-less but much drier than the NE and NW territories!
Summer is hot, sticky, humid, you pick the adjective more than the NE and NW territories!
From small town - Traffic is plentiful!
From a large town - Traffic is manageable!
Stores R stores when it comes to the big box marts no matter that territory you come from!
Specialty stores are just that special no matter what territory you come from.
Property taxes are less than the NE and NW territories and a few more inbetween!
Personal Property tax is a sticker shock for newbie's....sometimes!
No toll roads to deal coins to....at least not yet. But as time moves forward so does Rt 540 toll project!
Downtown Raleigh is nice for a State Capital City.
To remind us trans planters of winter we have the Hurricane's...in NHL Hockey that is!
The Sports fans in us quickly chooses sides in the UNC-DUKE-NC State games of the seasons!
Our average age tends to be 30 something with 1,2 to 1.6 children.
It is a bi-modal distribution with another peak in the 55 and up age group.
Mountains are a bit farther away than the beaches. Nice middle ground here.
Home prices range from the multi-million to the what I bought for $10k.
Crime well that's in the eyes of the perpetrated or lack there of.

So that is my inside scoop and I am melting to it!
...assessment by really long Haiku?

Old 03-11-2010, 07:31 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,313,594 times
Raleigh Lass, you reminded me about something when you mentioned the beach... lots of people go to the beach for Easter! Since it is warm here they will go to a place they rent or own... often a large group will go to a big rental and they do the dinner there.

For holidays in general, if you do not "go home" you may spend it with neighbors or friends. That was rare on Long Island- people would travel for holidays... to Brooklyn, upstate or Jersey & such! Most people had family within reasonalbe drivign distance so family holidays were spent only with family. Here, there are tons of people who will be here for the various holidays, away from family, and they become more open to beign with a wider circle of people.

Now, when you move you may promise family you will come back homefor every holiday. But if you are anything like me or my friends, this will become home. You will go back for some holidays and stay for others. If you are lucky your family will come here to visit too!

Old 03-11-2010, 08:56 AM

6 posts, read 15,584 times
Great insights! As a native NYer myself, now in PA - we are in the middle of a move to NC. Sorry - another Yankee coming to town. But I will say that as a family we are extremely excited to be moving there. Thanks for this thread becuase I too was curious of the little things that make Raleigh Raleigh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary