U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

2,812 posts, read 6,446,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
...assessment by really long Haiku?
Oh no.... Wait.. .further investigation and whew it did not meet the basic criteria which is, "3 lines first line, 5 syllables second line, 7 syllables third line, 5 syllables In English"

So I guess I was just a poor impostor of a Haiku.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:32 AM

4,529 posts, read 7,034,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
There is a listing in Durham for $9.9K. So I do research what I type and one can find homes from that price upward to the millions! Our area has ample homes for just about anyone's taste and budget!
I just looked up that house, built in 1920, needs lots of work, no heat, no a/c, I'd be surprised if it had floors in tact, and is in a neighborhood where homes don't sell for much.

Don't be misleading ppl

Old 03-11-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornfed View Post
I have two that I think stand right out.

There is a big image/perception battle between Durham and Raleigh. One always trash talks the other or tries to outdo the other. It's funny to watch them battle it out.

There is also a city vs suburb battle. Not much of a battle. The city lovers have a major league issue with the suburbs. The suburban people are pretty quiet about it all.

I think all this comes with the extensive growth over the last couple decades. People and towns trying to find their way and establish, improve or maintain their image.
You are so right! However for folks who haven't been here before, our downtown is more like a sophisticated town with condos, govt bldg, old victorian homes, offices, 3 hotels. And, it's very clean.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:09 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,657,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
You are so right! However for folks who haven't been here before, our downtown is more like a sophisticated town with condos, govt bldg, old victorian homes, offices, 3 hotels. And, it's very clean.
Usually it's the Raleigh folks taking jabs at Durham.
And we'll defend ourselves, so get use to it And no it's not all Raleigh people, most are nice and enjoy Durham very much.

And Charleton Dude, oops I mean Kornfed, don't act like you aren't a part of the problem. For instance being gone for a while (which has been mighty pleasant) and then coming back and starting it all over again.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Usually it's the Raleigh folks taking jabs at Durham.
And we'll defend ourselves, so get use to it And no it's not all Raleigh people, most are nice and enjoy Durham very much.

And Charleton Dude, oops I mean Kornfed, don't act like you aren't a part of the problem. For instance being gone for a while (which has been mighty pleasant) and then coming back and starting it all over again.
For the record....I am a HUGE advocate of Durham - see some of my posts! I have lived in Raleigh 35 yrs. am not from this country and came with no preconceptions about either place. Most of my career has been spent working in Durham so I am very familiar with it and the wonderful people there. I watched downtown Durham's revitalization begin and suffered thru the construction and rehabbing.

And you are right, I hear more Raleigh ppl slam Durham than the other way around. But usually it's b/c they don't know what they think they do about it.

He who laughs last can laugh at OUR school board Sad, but true!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:30 AM

12 posts, read 14,578 times
Wonderful reads all - just a curious questions though - if you call northerners Yankees, what do you call those from the western states?

Old 05-02-2010, 08:34 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,842,121 times
Many Southerners call anyone not from the South, "Yankees." They just assume they're from the North because that's where most of the newcomers are from.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:09 AM

3,612 posts, read 4,037,395 times
Default The Golden Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGTHEWEST View Post
Wonderful reads all - just a curious questions though - if you call northerners Yankees, what do you call those from the western states?
Depends. If you come without a job and/or the money to support yourself then possibly “carpetbagger” but if you’ve got means like proceeds from the sale of your previous home then locals call you “Sir” or “Madam”.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM

1,878 posts, read 4,657,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAVINGTHEWEST View Post
They call my dad a West Coast Yankee

Old 05-02-2010, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 14,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Depends. If you come without a job and/or the money to support yourself then possibly “carpetbagger” but if you’ve got means like proceeds from the sale of your previous home then locals call you “Sir” or “Madam”.
lol - Love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary