U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2010, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 12,951 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am interested in the Picardy Point neighborhood in Cary, but had a few questions. We're wanting an active, friendly neighborhood and we have small kids (3 yo and <1). Are there many young families here? Does the community have activities and organized social events? I've driven around the neighborhood a couple of times and it looks well kept and nice, but not a lot of people out and about.

Any opinions? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 07:24 AM

112 posts, read 201,989 times
II dont know much about the place but I had a friend who lives there and he likes living there. I used to go with him to the neighborhood pool all the time. I think its also a plus that the neighborhood backs up to apex reservoir.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:45 PM

1,843 posts, read 4,097,054 times
It's an older neighborhood with pretty low turnover. Usually not a recipe for a lot of young kids.
Great location. Nice homes on nice lots with lots of trees. Nothing bad to say at all, really, but with homes that are approaching 20 years old and only 10 resales since 1/1/2008 it's not like there has been a big influx of new young families moving in.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:33 PM

110 posts, read 304,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
It's an older neighborhood with pretty low turnover. Usually not a recipe for a lot of young kids.
Great location. Nice homes on nice lots with lots of trees. Nothing bad to say at all, really, but with homes that are approaching 20 years old and only 10 resales since 1/1/2008 it's not like there has been a big influx of new young families moving in.
I don't think that the low turnover nec. means few young children. My neighborhood is also around 20 years old with pretty low turnover and there are a ton of young kids. Some people waited awhile to have kids after they bought their house, others had 3-4 kids with the youngest just now entering preschool or elementary school.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:01 PM

1,843 posts, read 4,097,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2TwinsCary View Post
I don't think that the low turnover nec. means few young children. My neighborhood is also around 20 years old with pretty low turnover and there are a ton of young kids. Some people waited awhile to have kids after they bought their house, others had 3-4 kids with the youngest just now entering preschool or elementary school.
I agree with you but in the case of Picardy Pointe the homes were sized and priced so that 20 years ago they were not for first time homebuyers. Someone buying a home for $250,000 or so in 1993 was not fresh out of school and looking to wait to have kids.

I have a few clients who live in Picardy Pointe and most of them are in their 50s with kids in college or out of the nest-that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:05 PM

110 posts, read 304,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Chicken View Post
I agree with you but in the case of Picardy Pointe the homes were sized and priced so that 20 years ago they were not for first time homebuyers. Someone buying a home for $250,000 or so in 1993 was not fresh out of school and looking to wait to have kids.

I have a few clients who live in Picardy Pointe and most of them are in their 50s with kids in college or out of the nest-that's what I'm basing my opinion on.

Good point. My neighborhood may be unusual. We had a big range in house sizes from 1,600 or so to almost 3,000 when the neighborhood was first built so we have a mix of ages/family sizes. Most people have just added on to their houses as they had kid(s) instead of moving so there are fewer houses here on the smaller side than 20 years ago. I do like having the young kids up the street for play dates and having the older ones around too for babysitting!

I do know a family that lives in Picardy Pointe with 5 kids - one is heading off to college and I think the youngest just started elementary school recently. They did a lot of research before moving there and seem to like the neighborhood and the schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary