U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:55 PM

2,872 posts, read 4,967,818 times

Advertisements

Hey all:

We've signed a contract and are about to begin construction on an in-ground swimming pool. Mosquitoes are awful during the summer and fall and I've heard about these misting type systems that are installed along the yard perimeter and spray every-so-often. Do they work? Are they safe, even for young children? What are the costs to run them? Any reliable and trustworthy local contractors who do installation?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 10:18 PM

932 posts, read 2,734,344 times
We're looking for a solution for mosquitos too. We've never had them as bad as we have them at our current house.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:57 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,860,571 times
I looked up one mosquito mist system vendor, and it says on the website that they use a plant-based (botanical) repellant with Pyrethrins, and that they are "virtually" non-toxic.

Then I read on Wikipedia care should be taken when using this substance around humans and animals. Overdose and toxicity can result in a variety of symptoms, especially in pets, including drooling, lethargy, muscle tremors, vomiting, seizures and death.

Pyrethrin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wikipedia can sometimes be an "iffy" resource, but in this case, I'd believe Wikipedia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
Hey all:

We've signed a contract and are about to begin construction on an in-ground swimming pool. Mosquitoes are awful during the summer and fall and I've heard about these misting type systems that are installed along the yard perimeter and spray every-so-often. Do they work? Are they safe, even for young children? What are the costs to run them? Any reliable and trustworthy local contractors who do installation?

Thanks.

Old 03-10-2010, 06:22 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,236,648 times
If you are going to be digging up the yard, anyway, I would get a landscaper (or you) to plant myrtle bushes around the perimeter of the yard. These are not crepe myrtles, but myrtles, and you see them everywhere. Not the most beautiful shrub in the world, but they are a natural mosquito repellent, and the more you trim them, the thicker they get, and provide a great privacy screen. You can also trim them like trees, if you prefer, keep them topped, and then plant shade-loving plants under them.

When all of our neighbors on the NC coast were being carried away by mosquitoes, we had a nice hedge of them around our back patio -- trimmed high, so I could plant hostas, impatiens, and coleus, beneath -- and because we kept them trimmed, they provided a nice screen from eye-level up.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurse1977 View Post
We use Carolina Wildlife Removal for our mosquito control. They come out every three months and spray the yard and also come for free in between visits if we have a problem. We have been very satisfied.
Welcome to the board!

Do they have a website? How much is each treatment and what is the size of your yard? Do you have any affiliation with them besides being a happy customer? I see this is your first post, so was just curious.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM

531 posts, read 2,532,623 times
We got a bid from Mosquito & Pest Xperts. Nice folks. It works much like an irrigation system with tubing, misters, timer, etc. It's not cheap. Think a couple grand. The stuff repells and keeps them from breeding. You'd be amazed but a lot of commercial places use the same stuff. Restaurants for outdoor dining areas, resorts, etc. It is plant based, but still harmful if not used properly. Again, it's not cheap but it can take care of your property during times when mosquitos are active (dusk, dawn, times when you don't want to be out there spraying). It sprays every day which is great. Nothing worse than paying someone to come spray your property only to have the bugs come from your neighbors yard the next day. If you look up the chemical, it is a Chrysanthemum derivative and also kills other insects, ants, spiders, ect. It will also kill beneficials like bees. That's why the timer/schedule is nice. Set it to spray when mosquitos are out (dark) and not bees (daytime). You can also manually spray for example, say you are having a party in your yard or on your patio/deck, you can set it to spray before the time of your party to ensure no bugs.

We didn't get it, yet. I think ours was $3000 plus annual maintenance and refills. We'll have to see how bad it gets, but we've been here two summers now and it's pretty bad. We have a creek nearby and lots of woods/shade. They breed in the grass and mulch and under the deck. Also in tree bark - EVERYWHERE!

We have a friend who builds luxury homes and he tgells us these systems ae quite common, especially pool areas.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:24 PM

cstleddy - VERY helpful information, thanks. Wow, $3k, that's a chunk of change - and I'm betting they will want a lot for the chemical refills. I'm sort of a do-it-yourselfer and would not want to pay for maintenance. I can fill the reservoir and check the pump and lines myself.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:33 PM

531 posts, read 2,532,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
cstleddy - VERY helpful information, thanks. Wow, $3k, that's a chunk of change - and I'm betting they will want a lot for the chemical refills. I'm sort of a do-it-yourselfer and would not want to pay for maintenance. I can fill the reservoir and check the pump and lines myself.
If you are going to do it yourself, you may want to get a quote or two and pay attention to the recommended hardware (types of misters and placement) and what they are using (chemical and strength). The pros can get their hands on the strong stuff (they are pest control folks so I'm thinking perhaps they are licensed to purchase the heavy duty stuff). That's really what appealed to me about this. I can get the same chemical from HD or Lowes or Riptide (brand) from the internet, but it will never be as strong as a licensed pest control outfit can get. I've spent hundreds of dollars on yard sprays and consulted with pest folks. I'm tired and I'm probably poisoning myself. We have a dog and this stuff works with her in the yard. As a matter of fact, another form of this chemical is used in K-9 Advantix which I put on her back to keep mosquitos, ticks, fleas off her.
Read up though if you have fish or cats nearby - some of this stuff is fine for humans and dogs, but not fish or cats.

I think maint. is $1000/yr and includes 2x year visits for refills, shutting down system in winter and turning on in summer.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstleddy View Post
If you are going to do it yourself, you may want to get a quote or two and pay attention to the recommended hardware (types of misters and placement) and what they are using (chemical and strength). The pros can get their hands on the strong stuff (they are pest control folks so I'm thinking perhaps they are licensed to purchase the heavy duty stuff). That's really what appealed to me about this. I can get the same chemical from HD or Lowes or Riptide (brand) from the internet, but it will never be as strong as a licensed pest control outfit can get. I've spent hundreds of dollars on yard sprays and consulted with pest folks. I'm tired and I'm probably poisoning myself. We have a dog and this stuff works with her in the yard. As a matter of fact, another form of this chemical is used in K-9 Advantix which I put on her back to keep mosquitos, ticks, fleas off her.
Read up though if you have fish or cats nearby - some of this stuff is fine for humans and dogs, but not fish or cats.
Good points, thank you for bringing those up. We no longer have a dog, but the neighbors do. No fish, but there are free roaming cats belonging to the neighbors across the street. I'm not sure if they go in my backyard, though. My biggest concern is for the health of my 1 year old daughter.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:22 AM

I had those guys come out yesterday to quote. Around $3K for a relatively small (200 linear feet) system plus very expensive maintenance contract. Seems like a huge profit to me, not that I blame them, but I think I can do it for less.

For that price, it might be worth investigating some of those propane-powered units.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary