U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 02:10 PM

58 posts, read 129,126 times

Advertisements

That is only a list of 4! LOL. I am just used to every Wed, Thurs Fri was happy hour. Which means from 5pm-9pm drinks are either 1/2 off or buy one get one free! Someone here told me that there is a NC law that does not allow that....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM

1,036 posts, read 1,660,378 times
Try the Ale House on Wednesdays - they have $2.50 draft beer. I'm a Newcastle guy, and not only does the Wake Forest location deliver, but the staff is friendly as well. Ask for Bobby or Katie - you'll not be disappointed.

Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 AM

2,086 posts, read 6,806,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poole276 View Post
That is only a list of 4! LOL. I am just used to every Wed, Thurs Fri was happy hour. Which means from 5pm-9pm drinks are either 1/2 off or buy one get one free! Someone here told me that there is a NC law that does not allow that....
Wow, that's a long happy hour! In the state I came from they had happy hour, but it NEVER went from 5-9. More like 5-7 at the longest.

Check out this thread discussing happy hours: HAPPY HOUR Recommendations Please!

Go here to find specials in downtwon Raleigh by day of the week: Thursday Specials at Downtown Raleigh. It doesn't list every bar special in town, but is a good place to start.

I know someone in the other thread mentioned that there aren't very good specials on Fri. Well, if I owned a bar, I also wouldn't offer specials on a day of the week when I knew people were going to be coming out regardless. It is just not a good marketing strategy. Specials are incentives to drive business when business is typically slow. It is not a good practice to always offer big incentives (US automakers are guilty of this, see where it got them), especially on days when people will go out anyway!

There are a lot of good resources on the web for finding out information about what is going on in the area, where specials are, etc. You just need to take the initiative to find them. I didn't know where to go, what to do, how to find out about events, etc. when I moved here. I got out, did my own research and found a LOT of info out there. It really helped me feel comfortable as a newbie.

Google is your friend!

All that said, the whole ABC store thing here is a real disappointment. I know that there have been some recent investigations about the effiency of this system, and I have a feeling they will find that it is quite inefficient. Would love to see this end!

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,844,098 times
Read more closely (on raleighbarfly.com). You can see all specials for that day, subscribe to their RSS feed, or search by the type of drink, and many come up. I think that NC restaurant bars and restaurants probably have more "drink specials" all the time than any happy hour elsewhere. Seems crazy they don't do it by location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poole276 View Post

Old 03-25-2010, 07:50 AM

472 posts, read 769,833 times
I must say I'm very tired of the 'well some people aren't happy here ... but they wouldn't be happy anywhere ... a place is what you make it'-type responses.

Of course there is some truth to them, but it is also a very passive-aggressive way of dealing with what might be legitimate criticisms of the place. Since so many of you are transplants, why did you move here, if a place is just what you make it?

And would you be happy in rural North Dakota? Or central Manhattan? Would you be as happy there are you are now? But surely every place is what you make it...

The Triangle hasn't really lived up to my expectations. If you believe the propaganda that the three or four separate towns (Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Cary) come together to form one real city called the Triangle, which is culturally interesting and diverse, then you might be in for a disappointment.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:02 AM

274 posts, read 308,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHwboy View Post
I must say I'm very tired of the 'well some people aren't happy here ... but they wouldn't be happy anywhere ... a place is what you make it'-type responses.

Of course there is some truth to them, but it is also a very passive-aggressive way of dealing with what might be legitimate criticisms of the place. Since so many of you are transplants, why did you move here, if a place is just what you make it?

And would you be happy in rural North Dakota? Or central Manhattan? Would you be as happy there are you are now? But surely every place is what you make it...

The Triangle hasn't really lived up to my expectations. If you believe the propaganda that the three or four separate towns (Durham/Chapel Hill/Raleigh/Cary) come together to form one real city called the Triangle, which is culturally interesting and diverse, then you might be in for a disappointment.
I have to agree with you, particularly on the first issue. The old "they wouldn't be happy anywhere" spiel is just a lame cop-out unless you can refute the specific reasons that are given.
As a NC native, I had been trying to move back to NC for about 10 years when I finally got the opportunity right before the crash hit Wake County in late 2008. My reasons for moving were: A) Family in NC, B) property in NC, C) I'm a huge history buff, particularly NC history and Southern history, and NC has more to offer, and D) Florida sucked.
I have found that the Triangle is not quite the paradise that I saw it promoted as, but it's generally an improvement over Florida. Rent, car insurance, rental insurance, food, and utilities are much cheaper than SoFla. On the downside, I had to take a drop in salary, somewhat offsetting the Cost-of-living.
People here usually do not have the aggressive, confrontational attitudes of people in South Florida. Even in "affluent" neighborhoods in Sofla, people would be milling around the apartment buildings 24 hours a day. You could take your trash out at 2AM and be hassled. Here, I see my neighbors in the morning when they lave for work, and in the evening when they come home. Except for the occasional sc_mbag, there is usually no problem with neighbors.
Traffic in the Triangle, though, is beginning to approach SoFla proportions, especially on the beltline. Driver aggression is on the increase. I have seen a difference even in the year and a half I have lived here. in five years I predict it will be as bad as Sofla. You do, though, sometimes have the option to drive routes like 64 instead of the interstate.
I was in the underground music scene in Sofla. Here, I have found that there is quite a diversity of music, but is scattered out and it is hard for a working person to attend many events, which are usually centered around Chapel Hill/Durham. Pittsboro has a good local music scene, but that's even further west. The Goth/Industrial scene in the Triangle is pretty stereotypical, with the usual boring electro/dance fare. There is the Clockwork cabaret Steampunk hour on a Chapel Hill radio station, though, and and the Eccentrik Festival in Chapel Hill, though 2009 may have been it's last year.
Shopping is sort of problematic. I have to drive over to Cary or Raleigh to find a Whole Foods. There are few convenient gas stations where I live. Crabtree Mall is a horror to access, and the Cary Mall is mediocre. I stay away from the Cary Towne Center unless I can go at off-peak times. I prefer to go to Grocery stores in Clayton than in Garner, where I live. I have to drive drive further, but they are easier to access.
There are many historical reenactments in the area, which is nice , since it's my "thing".
In the along run, while the Raleigh area is an improvement over Sofla, I will probably move further west in NC when I have the opportunity. I can see the Triangle eventually turning into the sprawling kind of metropolis that I sought to escape in Sofla.

Old 03-25-2010, 11:37 AM

23 posts, read 47,608 times
Yes, for me it has been worth it although I have had to cut into my savings substantially since I have not started working yet. I have been hired at a school and will start in August if everything goes well. So, perhaps that knowledge has allowed me to be hopeful. However, even without the job, I would still love it here. My son is very happy. His school is great. I love the outdoors and a more laid-back life (I moved from NYC). The only things I miss, besides family and friends, are the restaurants. There aren't as many, but there are some good ones that I enjoy, so it is quite bearable. All in all, moving here was one of the best decisions I have ever made.

Edit: Like many of the other people who replied, we visited for a week before deciding to move. On our trip we looked at the things that we would really use/need. We know what our lifestyle is like and what makes us happy. So, we explored parks, neighborhoods, restaurants, movie theaters, took school tours, checked out grocery stores, houses of worship, libraries etc.

Last edited by waterlotus1; 03-25-2010 at 11:59 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 11:59 AM

9 posts, read 11,812 times
I moved here 3 years ago from Long Island ......We love it here - Better life -less stress -definately better weather. Definately more reasonably priced . It is wonderful here. :-)

Old 03-26-2010, 02:25 PM

98 posts, read 155,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalnc View Post
I'm sure coastalnc doesn't really "hate" the triangle.

Actually, we do. No, we didn't "choose" to move here. But we went into our move here with optimism and open minds. It would take me far too long to list the disappointments we've experienced here. Besides, everyone is looking for something different. What might be disappointing to us might be exactly what someone else is looking for. So, since posters are asking for opinions from people who live here, I expressed mine.

So can you be specific in what some of your issues have been?

We're relocating to NC in about 12 months or so. I told my husband several nights ago that the people on these threads have been far more helpful and nicer than the vast majority of people where we are now. (That was a relo, too.)

Thank you!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:39 PM

11 posts, read 48,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cms324 View Post
Thanks for the responses! My husband and I are doing ALL of our research first...and we will be sure that he finds a JOB first before we move down there! Yes, I know that may take a while...

Neither of us has any financial problems or anything here we are trying to 'escape' ....just looking for a warmer climate that may be a little more laid back and reasonably priced than it is here in Boston! I have heard such wonderful things about the area!

We are hoping that once the market rebounds that we will make some money on the house that we fixed up and we can put it towards a down payment on a home in NC and have a much lower mortgage than we have now!
My husband and I are also looking to move to the Triangle area from Massachusetts....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary