Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 AM

12 posts, read 32,289 times

Advertisements

I know 'the grass is always greener', and it seems like a lot of people are moving to the Raleigh area for a better quality of life...Just wondering what those who have moved think and if it is what you expected it to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,010 times
It's the Triangle. And this thread may answer your question.

Triangle area--Is it overrated?

Old 03-10-2010, 07:10 AM

ooops! Thanks for the link Danielle!

Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,085,750 times
Thumbs up Perception is reality

I live in Wake Forest and it has exceeded all my expectations. Then again I didn’t move here to escape the financial disaster that I had made of my life somewhere else and I’m also not doped up on mood altering prescription medicines, alcohol or marijuana.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:02 AM

494 posts, read 1,387,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
I live in Wake Forest and it has exceeded all my expectations. Then again I didn’t move here to escape the financial disaster that I had made of my life somewhere else and I’m also not doped up on mood altering prescription medicines, alcohol or marijuana.
Alllllrighty then.Don't go Tom Cruise on us now.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 AM

3,950 posts, read 5,085,750 times
Wink a doubleminded man, unstable in all his ways

Quote:
Originally Posted by samdan View Post
Alllllrighty then.Don't go Tom Cruise on us now.
Sorry… didn’t mean to sound holier-than-thou but it just amazes me how so many people consider relocating here the answer to all their personal problems. If someone moves to the Raleigh area with a well thought out plan, a sober mind and a willingness to work hard then the Triangle can be a wonderful experience but if the move is seen as an escape then the potential relocator is on the short road to ruin.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:31 AM

321 posts, read 879,992 times
We moved here with a well thought out plan, sober minds and willingness to work hard and we hate it here. We don't find the people particularly friendly at all, not much to do and certainly, if you don't have kids (at least around where we live) people don't want to bother with you. But the career moved us here and we are biding our time until we can move. Just our experience, I know there are people who really like it here. All depends on what you are looking for.....

Old 03-10-2010, 09:58 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
This is the promised land, and don't you dare tell any newcomers that it isn't!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:39 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,583,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Sorry… didn’t mean to sound holier-than-thou but it just amazes me how so many people consider relocating here the answer to all their personal problems. If someone moves to the Raleigh area with a well thought out plan, a sober mind and a willingness to work hard then the Triangle can be a wonderful experience but if the move is seen as an escape then the potential relocator is on the short road to ruin.
A-men!

I wish you were posting in this forum in 2006. I darn near got ambushed every time I'd post something like this back then...mostly by posters who fit the profile you just described perfectly; and low and behold; I don't see them posting here anymore talking about how moving to NC really did fix their family, financial, emotional problems!

Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM

Thanks for the responses! My husband and I are doing ALL of our research first...and we will be sure that he finds a JOB first before we move down there! Yes, I know that may take a while...

Neither of us has any financial problems or anything here we are trying to 'escape' ....just looking for a warmer climate that may be a little more laid back and reasonably priced than it is here in Boston! I have heard such wonderful things about the area!

We are hoping that once the market rebounds that we will make some money on the house that we fixed up and we can put it towards a down payment on a home in NC and have a much lower mortgage than we have now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary