U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 06:51 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,330,466 times

Advertisements

My family & I are planning a weekend camping trip to Jordan Lake next month. Since this is our first camping trip here, I was hoping for some suggestions on things to do.

Since it will probably be too cold to swim, what else can we do? Do we need a fishing liscense? If so, where do we get one?

Any boat rentals (ie: kayak) in the area? Horseback riding? Anything?

Looking forward to hearing what tips people can share.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 09:04 AM

8 posts, read 26,101 times
I am interested to know the same things as well since we are moving to the Raleigh area soon and will be purchasing a boat to use at Jordan Lake ourselves!

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM

345 posts, read 909,405 times
You can rent boats at Crosswinds Marina (Farrington Rd). Check before you go to find out what campgrounds are open. Also be aware of when they lock the gates at night. We have a lot of folks who drive some distance only to find out that they cannot get into the campgrounds, because they arrived after the gates closed.

Anyone 16 and older will need a fishing license, which you can get at Crosswinds *before 4:00 pm, or you can get them at the Cruizers on the corner of Farrington Rd/Beaver Creek Rd & US 64 from 6:00 am to 11:00 pm...resident 10 day license $5, annual $15. Cruizers also has worms, minnows, and other (limited) fishing/camping supplies. Wilsonville store, across the street from Cruizers also has the supplies plus crickets, but does not sell fishing licenses. I always advise people to GET a license, because the game wardens DO patrol and check, and they don't give warnings...they give tickets! LOL!

It's a Sate Park, so there aren't a lot of touristy things to do there. No mini golf, bumper boats/cars or arcades. I'll ask around to see if there are any riding stables...but most that I know of are private farms. You might check the Morehead Planetarium website to see if they're having any sort of sky watch event, which I think they do at Ebenezer Church recreation area. There is also a campground next to Ebenezer, which is on Beaver Creek Rd.

http://www.moreheadplanetarium.org/i..._calendar.html

Pittsboro is not far from Wilsonville (where the two stores are), and there are antique shops there...I'd go there if you've never been...it's a pretty little town.

Link to map of Wilsonville, NC
Map of Wilsonville, North Carolina by MapQuest

Last edited by bellasformas; 03-10-2010 at 09:51 AM.. Reason: added a link

Old 03-10-2010, 10:53 AM

One more link..then I'll shut up. Check out Events...there are a couple listed for April.

N.C. Division of Parks and Recreation: - Welcome to Jordan Lake State Recreation Area

Old 03-11-2010, 05:59 AM

What a big help! Thank you so much!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:12 AM

You're welcome. I spoke to the farm manager at a large farm near Wilsonville last night. He couldn't think of any riding stables in that area. I'll keep an ear out though.

One thing you might want to check into, is the reservation system. I don't know if it's required for Jordan Lake or not...I'd call and check, because it seems like they did require them last summer. I don't camp out there, so not much help on that end.

Firewood...prices range from $4.99/bundle to $6.99/bundle...so you might want to bring your own, or be on the lookout for less expensive wood for your campfire. Sometimes the "neighbors" of the campgrounds have some for sale, not sure of the prices. The park sells it (if they're not sold out), but have heard it's a little on the green side sometimes, and doesn't burn that well.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:38 AM

Good to know!
I saw that they have a new online reservation system that seemed nice. The only downfall is that you can't see the location spots on any maps. That's kind of a bummer. We might just drive out there and see if we can take a look around before finalizing a spot.

For anyone else who is looking to camp there, when you do go through reservation even to check out the prices, there is a drop down list for the campsite. Poplar one seems to have the swimming area.

Again, thanks! You've been a big help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary