U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:06 AM

5 posts, read 10,880 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I are looking to buy a home in Cary. We've looked at a lot of houses and have yet to find our perfect fit. We're hoping some of you have suggestions.

Our price range is $400-$450k. Our two biggest criteria are a big yard and a social, active, friendly neighborhood with a lot of young families and kids. We loved Highcroft but the yards of the houses we visited are simply too small for us. We prefer newer houses, built within the last 5-8 years or so. We love the detail in custom homes but have not found any in our price range that have * big yards * in Cary.

We recently visited Harmony Reserve by Pulte and were impressed with the size of lots and good location. We could get a new construction ~3200 sq ft on about 0.5 acre lot for under $450k. We have not found this anywhere else... but we are very aware of the many criticisms of Pulte that many on this forum have.

Does anyone have suggestions for a neighborhood that has a lot of kids, is social and active, with young families, with houses with big yards (lots of 0.3 acre or greater)? We aren't sure if Harmony Reserve fits this description (as far as being an active community) either.. anyone know if there are a lot of kids there?

We really appreciate your input!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,383,173 times
The Park at West Lake

Old 03-10-2010, 11:22 AM

Thanks KellyCrash. We did look at The Park at West Lake and liked the homes and neighborhood, but for us it is too far down by Holly Springs (even though it has a Cary address).

Old 03-10-2010, 11:26 AM

997 posts, read 4,162,106 times
Does it have to be so new? I think if you expand your search to areas with homes up to 15 yrs. old (or a little more) such as Wellsley, Weatherstone, Macarthur Park, Preston etc. you will have alot more to choose from in terms of lot size. They might need some updating but it is all cosmetic. Cary is very family friendly to begin with so I think you will find what you are looking for in almost any neighborhood. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2010, 11:32 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,059,488 times
Yeah. You're going to have a problem with that lot size with new construction in Cary. My wife and I were looking for similar. . . . but $100K cheaper. . . . and we gave up. We ended up moving down to Swift Creek. . . just southeast of Cary. We're a bit east of Park at West Lake.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:43 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,383,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmarlins View Post
Thanks KellyCrash. We did look at The Park at West Lake and liked the homes and neighborhood, but for us it is too far down by Holly Springs (even though it has a Cary address).
Holly Springs is a great little town with a nice library, cultural center, and new shopping going in on Rt. 55. TPAW is only 15 mins from Crossroads in Cary. It's really a great location with access to Holly Springs Fuquay Varina, Cary & Raleigh via 401.

It's a hike if you're going to RTP, but my husband does it everyday and it's not horrible.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:56 AM

206 posts, read 656,836 times
I don't think you will find houses similar to Highcroft in your price range with big yards in that part of Cary. You will probably have to change your search criteria or go with "older"(not new construction homes). Either that or rethink the area you are focusing on. They really don't seem to be building many large lot homes in that part of Cary-they don't have to- people are buying the smaller lots.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:09 PM

5,358 posts, read 15,059,488 times
Another option is to find a house with a smaller yard, but that backs up to an area that will not be developed (i.e., greenway, park, etc). You still can reach out and touch your neighbor's house, but you won't have anyone behind you.

Our house only has windows on the front and back of the house (except for 1 window in a downstairs half bath, and 1 glass block window in the master bath), so when we look out the windows, we only see trees/fields and no other houses.

Old 03-10-2010, 12:36 PM

Thank you for all your quick responses! We'll consider everything suggested.

Also, any thoughts on The Peninsula at Amberly? I know this particular subdivision of Amberly is part of the Chatham Co school system, but can anyone comment on the neighborhood itself? We heard the lot sizes are decent but haven't checked them out yet. One of the things we loved about Highcroft is that we always saw ppl out and about, running, kids playing etc. Is The Peninsula pretty active?

Old 03-11-2010, 06:31 AM

194 posts, read 415,860 times
We went through the same difficult issues you are going through and finally made our choice with a 10 year old home in PV with a great yard and a fantastic neighborhood! My husband really wanted new, but we just could not find the lot size and location we also desired and then the schools which was first and foremost on our list. PV, had it all, except for the "new" home, but it was in great condition, as it had been vacant for awhile and maintained very well, we just are in the process of painting and putting our touches on it...nothing like a "new home" I agree.

Did you try Hilliard Forest? They have great lots and we liked it very much, although there is no pool as of yet and the highway is going in not too far, but the lots are great and schools.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary