U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 PM

11 posts, read 51,559 times

Advertisements

I am new to the area. I keep hearing about the success of a school in WF callled Franklin Academy. A private school in Apex has patterned itself after the Franklin Academy model. But when I look at the report card stats for FA, it does not seem to be much better than any other school. In fact, their math scores are not very good at all. Can anyone tell me more about that school-- and why is it so popular? What are the graduation rates and where do the graduates go? How does it compare to other area schools in terms of math and reading. Parent reviews sometimes mean more than test scores. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:20 PM

4 posts, read 17,276 times
Default don't know that I can help much...

...as I do not yet live in the area. However, I am a teacher, and have searched these boards for info on schools. If I remember right, Franklin Academy has some strong ties with the Thayer Academy (or School, can't remember which). All sites are big on the Direct Instruction (DI) methodology. If you search for Thayer, there are a few threads which discuss the pros and cons of the DI model & these schools. I watched one of Thayer's intro videos on youtube!. In one 7-minute video the headmistress (or was it teacher) stated five times that they aim to have every child working at least one grade level ahead. (WHY? is what I wanted to ask...yes, some children are ready for that, some can accommodate that, and others will just feel the pressure of having to do things before they are developmentally ready.)

In short: DI can be very, very effective for academic essentials. It can also be a straightjacket, especially for creative, energetic kids. Thayer also has a Zero Tolerance policy. In my experience, those need to be applied with a lot of intelligence and maturity...qualities in very short supply in today's world.

I decided it definitely is not the place for my son. But other children will thrive there. You just need to go into it with your eyes open and MONITOR your children. If it's the wrong environment, don't waffle, adjust, etc. Just pull them.

Best of luck!

Old 03-12-2010, 05:29 AM

835 posts, read 3,494,991 times
It is a charter school - for the quickest explanation it is a private school funded with public money- private school with no tuition.

There is a lottery every year to get in and your odds are only slightly better than the powerball. My daughter applied last year for K and was number 464 on wait list(they had about 100 seats for K so you get the idea) and siblings of current students get in first. This year for first grade she moved up to number 111 on the list- not going to happen.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:53 AM

4,529 posts, read 6,934,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowelj1 View Post
...as I do not yet live in the area. However, I am a teacher, and have searched these boards for info on schools. If I remember right, Franklin Academy has some strong ties with the Thayer Academy (or School, can't remember which). All sites are big on the Direct Instruction (DI) methodology. If you search for Thayer, there are a few threads which discuss the pros and cons of the DI model & these schools. I watched one of Thayer's intro videos on youtube!. In one 7-minute video the headmistress (or was it teacher) stated five times that they aim to have every child working at least one grade level ahead. (WHY? is what I wanted to ask...yes, some children are ready for that, some can accommodate that, and others will just feel the pressure of having to do things before they are developmentally ready.)

In short: DI can be very, very effective for academic essentials. It can also be a straightjacket, especially for creative, energetic kids. Thayer also has a Zero Tolerance policy. In my experience, those need to be applied with a lot of intelligence and maturity...qualities in very short supply in today's world.

I decided it definitely is not the place for my son. But other children will thrive there. You just need to go into it with your eyes open and MONITOR your children. If it's the wrong environment, don't waffle, adjust, etc. Just pull them.

Best of luck!
Good post! But I think you mean Thales Academy? Franklin and Thales were founded by Robert Luddy, a wealthy local businessman. I recently heard that Thales was having issues with academic scores? Franklin, not heard anything negative about the place. It sounds like Mr Luddy had genuine intentions in building these schools. However, I read that he is a supporter/backer of the new board members with their push to change Wake County Schools.

His intentions may be good, but it should be known that he supports the upcoming changes.

ps - agree, no need to push kids 1 grade ahead in trying to produce super kids for our own bragging rights. let them go at their own pace and be challenged but not stressed. Society and media pushes our kids to adulthood too quickly, this adds more than enough pressure.

Last edited by RaleighLass; 03-12-2010 at 08:57 AM.. Reason: added ps

Old 03-12-2010, 07:17 PM

140 posts, read 358,394 times
Not all kids in Thales and Franklin academy are 1 grade ahead. Children are grouped by their abilities, so for example my 1st grader is in 1st grade reading,math and language arts, and other kids in his class can be in 2nd grade level reading , 1st grade math and language arts. I do like that kids, who are overachievers are challenged at their own level. I like "zero" tolerance policy, both school put a lot of emphasis on education. I also like that they have character club, where children learn to be responsible citizens. Like PP said, DI method isn't for everyone, but I can see dramatic changes in my son's abilities. They also offer a lot of after school programs such as art, engineering, and gymnastic.
BTW, Its nearly impossible to get into Franklin. We were # 196 on the list for 2nd grade.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:05 PM

11 posts, read 51,559 times
Okay, I have done a little more research. It is Thales Academy and there are two campuses. The scores I saw are from Franklin Academy. If both use the same method then the answers would apply to both schools. I think DI can be very effective and I understand the pros and consof Thales. But why-- if both are sold as high academic schools do the scores for the EOG's at Franklin not reflect this? Their reading scores are good. But their math scores are not so great. And where are any scores for Thales? Any idea how the math program at FA or for that matter Thales compares to other wake co. public schools? Any idea what percentage of kids go on to good colleges from Franklin Academy? That kind of thing would tell us more about the future of Thales too
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 03-18-2010, 10:15 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,276,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl323 View Post
... But why-- if both are sold as high academic schools do the scores for the EOG's at Franklin not reflect this? Their reading scores are good. But their math scores are not so great. And where are any scores for Thales? Any idea how the math program at FA or for that matter Thales compares to other wake co. public schools? Any idea what percentage of kids go on to good colleges from Franklin Academy? That kind of thing would tell us more about the future of Thales too
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Thales is new so that may be why they do not have scores reported.
Franklin uses a true lottery- there are kids who are ahead, on grade level, and behind. There are kids with IEP's. It's no tjust a school for geniuses. However, the kdis are all encouraged to work up to their ability.

I have a son in the hs- it's his 1st year so I can't speak to your other questions.

Old 03-24-2010, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 9,488 times
The scores for Franklin Academy for last year for the elementary grades were excellent. It is because they are a charter school that all grade levels are averaged in--not just 3-5 for elementary. It is unusual because Heritage Elementary, Middle School are broken down separately. The classes offered in middle school are also more academically challenging than public school. The students have 7 periods per day which includes 6 classes versus public school which has the block scheduling and A/B schedules for different classes. Frankln Academy has outstanding teachers and it is way less bureaucratic than the public schools.

Old 03-30-2010, 11:47 AM

49 posts, read 127,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl323 View Post
if both are sold as high academic schools do the scores for the EOG's at Franklin not reflect this? Their reading scores are good. But their math scores are not so great.
My wife and I noticed this too when deciding where we wanted to send our son. I'm somewhat skeptical of reading scoring as reading is subjective and it's scoring is subject to bias. If you think you have a class full of Einsteens, it certainly might cause you to perceive their work a little better than a class that you thought was average. Now math on the other hand is objective. It is right or wrong and I put more weight on its numbers. Check it Endeavor's scores (another charter). Now those kids knocked it out of the park on reading and math which makes a much more compelling case for academic excellence. We looked at other elementary schools in the Wake Forest area and I don't recall seeing another with such a disparity gap between reading and math and that makes me suspicious. Just my two cents.

Old 05-24-2010, 08:27 PM

2 posts, read 9,932 times
So I have the same question, where do Franklin Academy graduates go? What's the percentage of kids that graduate to 4 year colleges?

Is this public information I can find somewhere?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary