Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by douknownam View Post
IMO, I think it's the most retarded thing about NC... there are never any good drink specials here, it would cost too much to do an all day happy hour on more expensive drinks.
Everyone has his/her opinion.

Some bars do have all day specials on days that are slower. Some bars do not. Some will have food specials. Some will not.
I think it's a good idea to feed people while they are drinking after work. The last thing we need is people slamming down "one too many" drinks in a hurry to get a special price and then hit the road to go home. I can easily see how the State came to that conclusion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Happy Hours are illegal in NC.
Backwoods nonsensical law,but not surprising.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamzz View Post
Tobacco Road downtown!! $3 half pound cheeseburgers, Mac&Cheese (awesome), Chicken Sandwhichs, wings. It's awesome! And it's not too packed usually. You have to order a drink to get the cheap food but beers around only like $2 for a miller lite.
I'll second Tobacco Road's happy hour bar menu. GREAT food for really cheap. I think they just require that you purchase one drink per dish. They serve their regular size portions during the happy hour (M-F, 4-6 I think, and then they do it again latenight as well). Some other good choices offered during Happy Hour are the Black Eyed Pea Cakes and nachos. There is a different drink special every day, including Coronas on Friday for ~$2.

The Borough in downtown Raleigh also offers some good appetizers at half price from 4-7 on weekdays. Lots of other specials like this, but you just have to look for them.

Quote:
IMO, I think it's the most retarded thing about NC... there are never any good drink specials here, it would cost too much to do an all day happy hour on more expensive drinks.
I really don't see what the problem is. There are plenty of good daily specials that last ALL DAY. To me, that equals a much better deal, since I usually can't make it out for before the typical "happy hour" would be over.

Flying Saucer (downtown Raleigh) has great beer specials every day of the week. They have at least one beer on "Fire Sale" all day, every single day for $2.75, including some very good brews, not the usual cheap stuff. Monday is Pint Night, where all pints are $2.75, and Carolina Pints are on Fire Sale every Sunday. That seems like a heck of a better deal than just 2 hours each evening when I couldn't be there anyway.

Several bars and restaurants downtown also offer 1/2 price bottles of wine on certain days. Ones that come to mind are 518 West, Zely & Ritz, Mosaic, Solas.

This site has a good (not comprehensive) listing of some of the daily specials in downtown Raleigh: Thursday Specials at Downtown Raleigh

Old 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
I really don't see what the problem is. There are plenty of good daily specials that last ALL DAY. To me, that equals a much better deal, since I usually can't make it out for before the typical "happy hour" would be over.

Flying Saucer (downtown Raleigh) has great beer specials every day of the week. They have at least one beer on "Fire Sale" all day, every single day for $2.75, including some very good brews, not the usual cheap stuff. Monday is Pint Night, where all pints are $2.75, and Carolina Pints are on Fire Sale every Sunday. That seems like a heck of a better deal than just 2 hours each evening when I couldn't be there anyway.

Several bars and restaurants downtown also offer 1/2 price bottles of wine on certain days. Ones that come to mind are 518 West, Zely & Ritz, Mosaic, Solas.

This site has a good (not comprehensive) listing of some of the daily specials in downtown Raleigh: Thursday Specials at Downtown Raleigh
You're right... let me re-phrase... if you're looking for drinks specials on any type of liquor, you're out of luck in NC.. Beer specials are abundant, but I've never found any good specials on any liquor drinks

Tobacco Road's happy hour menu is pretty awesome, we go there all the time.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:26 AM

335 posts, read 800,570 times
I used to live in a state (AZ) where the Happy Hour offers were beyond belief. "Any drink, any coin", "Spin the Wheel o' Booze for a buck", "Penny well drinks" and so on. And the accidents and DUI citations were almost beyond belief too. I have lived all over the US and have never seen such egregiously bad driving as I did in AZ. Yes, there are other factors that contribute to the stats, such as the snowbird population, but the majority of the accidents I witnessed firsthand were caused by drunk drivers, usually young ones.

I miss a lot of things about Phoenix, but the drivers aren't one of them. The city is very spread out, public transportation was lacking and that meant that the majority of bar patrons drove their own vehicles. Being able to get literally falling down drunk for $5 is NOT a good thing for public safety. I applaud NC for taking the high road on this one. You want to get a buzz on the cheap? Get a bottle at the ABC store and drink it at home.

Off my soapbox now.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:44 PM

494 posts, read 1,388,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DownEastB View Post
I used to live in a state (AZ) where the Happy Hour offers were beyond belief. "Any drink, any coin", "Spin the Wheel o' Booze for a buck", "Penny well drinks" and so on. And the accidents and DUI citations were almost beyond belief too. I have lived all over the US and have never seen such egregiously bad driving as I did in AZ. Yes, there are other factors that contribute to the stats, such as the snowbird population, but the majority of the accidents I witnessed firsthand were caused by drunk drivers, usually young ones.

I miss a lot of things about Phoenix, but the drivers aren't one of them. The city is very spread out, public transportation was lacking and that meant that the majority of bar patrons drove their own vehicles. Being able to get literally falling down drunk for $5 is NOT a good thing for public safety. I applaud NC for taking the high road on this one. You want to get a buzz on the cheap? Get a bottle at the ABC store and drink it at home.

Off my soapbox now.
Good points.My beef is with the silly NC alcohol laws in general,and the gov't dictating to businesses what they can and cannot do.Being from AZ as well(east valley)I can attest to the crazy drivers who thought the 60 was a nascar track.

Old 03-11-2010, 01:20 PM

2,086 posts, read 7,641,789 times
Quote:
You're right... let me re-phrase... if you're looking for drinks specials on any type of liquor, you're out of luck in NC.. Beer specials are abundant, but I've never found any good specials on any liquor drinks

Tobacco Road's happy hour menu is pretty awesome, we go there all the time.
Clicky on the linky.

Just on Thursday, the following liquor specials are listed on that site (again, not comprehensive):

$3 Shot Specials, $5 Cherry Bounce Cocktails - Deep South
$5 Margaritas all day! $2 off tequila flights. - Dos Taquitos Centro
$6 martinis - Humble Pie
$4 Flavored Vodka Drinks - Napper Tandy's
$5 Select Martinis - Sitti
$5 bombs - Dowtown Sports Bar and Grill
$3 Kamikaze Shooters - The Oxford
$4.50 tall/double well liquor drinks (any type ~ vodka, gin, bourbon, etc) - The Pour House
$3.00 Well Drinks & $5.00 Jager Bombs - Tir na Nog
$3.00 Flavored Vodka Bombs - Woody's
$5.00 Martinis - Zely & Ritz

That is all the homework I'm doing for other people today. You're welcome!

And for people who are looking for coin beers, etc., the PR (Player's Retreat) has one night a year that they have something like 25 cent beers and nickle hot dogs. I can't remember when it is, but I know some people who have a "boys' night out" there every year on that day, and have heard some stories...

Old 03-11-2010, 01:52 PM

621 posts, read 2,217,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Clicky on the linky.

Just on Thursday, the following liquor specials are listed on that site (again, not comprehensive):

$3 Shot Specials, $5 Cherry Bounce Cocktails - Deep South
$5 Margaritas all day! $2 off tequila flights. - Dos Taquitos Centro
$6 martinis - Humble Pie
$4 Flavored Vodka Drinks - Napper Tandy's
$5 Select Martinis - Sitti
$5 bombs - Dowtown Sports Bar and Grill
$3 Kamikaze Shooters - The Oxford
$4.50 tall/double well liquor drinks (any type ~ vodka, gin, bourbon, etc) - The Pour House
$3.00 Well Drinks & $5.00 Jager Bombs - Tir na Nog
$3.00 Flavored Vodka Bombs - Woody's
$5.00 Martinis - Zely & Ritz

That is all the homework I'm doing for other people today. You're welcome!

And for people who are looking for coin beers, etc., the PR (Player's Retreat) has one night a year that they have something like 25 cent beers and nickle hot dogs. I can't remember when it is, but I know some people who have a "boys' night out" there every year on that day, and have heard some stories...
Thanks! Good info... Only bad thing is that those not aren't on Friday--but it's better than nothing.. Looked at the Friday list, it's garbage--JMO Guess I was spoiled before

Old 03-11-2010, 02:54 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rory breaker View Post
Ruths Chris has an amazing $5 menu thats almost too good to be true.

The Borough downtown is one of the hidden gems I have found in Raleigh....amazing food, great service, upbeat atmosphere. The appetizer list is a menu in itself and is half price during HH - best corn chowder you'll ever have by the way.
I'll second The Borough for happy hour. Their jalepeno potato chowder is delicious.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:25 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,143,800 times
Quote:
Cashmere on Glenwood & Tucker also has a $5 martini menu on Wednesdays. There's about a dozen yummy choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary