U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2016, 04:36 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,829,467 times

Advertisements

Flame Kabab is Iranian/Persian. All of our Iranian friends and family eat there, they have other items besides kabobs, their stews are wonderful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2016, 04:45 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,701,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
True Persian would be Iranian food. The only Iranian place I know of is Pomegranate Kitchen in Chapel Hill/Durham. They are vegetarian, though.

There was an Afghan place in downtown Durham but it closed. The closest you may get to this type of cuisine are the Middle Eastern places near NC State's campus: Al Baraka Market, Almadina, Neomonde, and Jerusalem market.
Persian food is Iranian food. Iran used to be known as Persia. Many people still say "Persia(n)" when referencing the country. Thanks for Pomegranate Kitchen, I didn't know that one. Sounds like Flame Kabob is something I'll have to try one of these days when I can find a other date lol. I just want to throw in that Sitti Authentic Lebanese has excellent middle eastern cuisine!

Old 08-20-2016, 05:33 PM

yes, I know, my husband is of Persian descent. Not all people who are of Persian descent are Iranian.

Old 08-20-2016, 09:26 PM

154 posts, read 126,426 times
Moving soon to the area. Excited to hear that there is Persian food there. Do they have the sour cherry rice? Always visit Persepolis in NYC.

Old 08-21-2016, 07:34 AM

814 posts, read 1,704,617 times
To me, some of the best Persian/Iranian food in the area is Kabobi in the food court at Crabtree. Kinda a "hidden gem" in Crabtree. I don't eat meat anymore, so love their okra and spinach, as well as lentil rice. The kids love the kabobs too. We always see families their eating the lamb shank.

The folks at Kabobi also usually do the Iranian booth at the International Festival. They had a booth at the International Festival "Block Party" in downtown yesterday.

I will add that I wish their was good Afghan food here too. One of my favs and I always seek it out when I travel. Loved the place on Kildaire, but had some really really bad service there multiple times (they would totally forget to make half the ordered dishes for our party....after waiting a long time...etc) so not surprised they closed. Too bad cause the food was great. There was also a VERY good Afghan place across from Broughton HS (where the wing place is now). We went there often, but it never caught on....so they turned totally to kabobs...then closed. Just not the right spot for them, I guess. Too bad, cause the food was great.

Old 08-21-2016, 03:25 PM

Kabobi and Flame kabob are run by the same family..

Old 08-21-2016, 04:40 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post

The folks at Kabobi also usually do the Iranian booth at the International Festival. They had a booth at the International Festival "Block Party" in downtown yesterday.
There was an International Festival block party ?!

Old 09-08-2016, 09:29 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,822,475 times
Dharani's special buffet is this Sunday! (9/11) Seriously tempted.......

Old 09-08-2016, 09:35 AM

5,700 posts, read 8,312,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
Dharani's special buffet is this Sunday! (9/11) Seriously tempted.......
Do it! But get there right when they open. It's packed.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:37 AM

4,188 posts, read 9,822,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Do it! But get there right when they open. It's packed.
Yeah, I was thinking we'd have to get there pretty early. Now to just not eat anything between now and then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary