U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 12:30 PM

83 posts, read 166,828 times

Advertisements

I've been to Saffron many times, though not in the last few months. On various visits, the quality has varied from mediocre to very good. I don't know why that is. And when I say mediocre, I mean quite Americanized and bland. Not "bad", just not very flavorful.

There are 2 Indian restaurants in Brier Creek that I'm aware of. Azitra has been there a pretty long time. Food didn't seem very authentic the 2 times I was there. And there's a new restaurant, Zayka. It's over by the EarthFare grocery store. I haven't been to Zayka yet. I've heard a couple positive reviews and plan to try it.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 01:29 PM

29 posts, read 73,396 times
Thanks for the responses! I actually have tried Azitra before an wasn't too impressed with that one, but I'm excited about the other places mentioned. I'll probably be visiting each of them at some point or another.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 PM

622 posts, read 1,485,573 times
Is MSG used in Indian food? I'd love to try some (via a buffet so I can see what I like), but have to stay away from MSG.

Thanks!

Old 03-11-2010, 03:54 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
not that I know of.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:39 PM

475 posts, read 1,398,087 times
India has different flavors of food based on the region. We are lucky that here in the Triangle you can try the various food from the different regions.

For South India non-veg, Kandas is very authentic. Tower, by the same owner, is the best for South India veg. I would strongly recommend doing the buffets during the weekend at both places.

Saffron is very good for North Indian food. Again, recommend doing their buffet. I do occasionally get the goat biriyani to go on weeknights. It is amazing.

Friends have raved about Zayka in Brier Creek. Yet to try it, so can't give my opinion on it.

Royal India on Capital is one of the oldest restaurants in the area, and their food is pretty much the most authentic. Tacky decor, but the food is good. They serve these hot wings in their Sunday buffets - absolutely to die for. They have just opened Royal Dhaba across from the airport mall in Morrisville. Same food, a lot closer. We have been there twice the last two weekends, have not been disappointed both times.

Couple of places to avoid - again IMHO - Suchi or as it is called now Chef of India. Horrible food. Spice and Curry - was good a year ago, absolutely gone downhill. Udipi, by the same owner as Spice and Curry - got some bad publicity last year about their sanitation scores. Might have improved it now, but based on what I read, will probably not go there. But then, if I am looking for veg - would rather go to Tower.

I have not tried Cafe Curryleaves but for some quick food, Rajbhog Cafe is pretty good.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:21 PM

8,264 posts, read 21,803,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by des1rees View Post
Couple of places to avoid - again IMHO - Suchi or as it is called now Chef of India. Horrible food.
I know everyone has their likes and dislikes, but I'm surpised you say this. My DH (native Indian) and I really enjoy Chef of India. It's a totally different restaurant now than it was when it was Suchi, just in the same location (new owners, new chef), they didn't just change the name. All of our Indian friends and family we take there like it as well. My only complaint is that I find it a bit pricey and the last time we were there they charged full price for my child and they charged us for several beverages we didn't order.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:55 PM

475 posts, read 1,398,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamishra View Post
I know everyone has their likes and dislikes, but I'm surpised you say this. My DH (native Indian) and I really enjoy Chef of India. It's a totally different restaurant now than it was when it was Suchi, just in the same location (new owners, new chef), they didn't just change the name. All of our Indian friends and family we take there like it as well. My only complaint is that I find it a bit pricey and the last time we were there they charged full price for my child and they charged us for several beverages we didn't order.
Completely my opinion. I am Indian as well, and if we were in a place with limited exposure to Indian restaurants, Chef of India might ( and I stress on the "might") be a place I would go to. But with the all the other superior restaurants in the area, would NOT go to Chef of India. Again, this is completely in my opinion

Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,713,975 times
I had sunday brunch/lunch @ Zakya right around when they first opened and I didn't like it. Then again I came right around when they were closing so I may give it another try. Seemed expensive, but they all seem to be that way nowadays.

I like Udipi and Cool Breeze for veggie places. I enjoy Azitra(Brier), Royal India (Raleigh), and Tandoor (Durham). As far as newer places. I really enjoyed Kadhai in N. Raleigh when I went there for their Mother's Day brunch last year. They had an awesome set up, and plenty of parking space. Home (http://kadhaitheindianwok.com/default.aspx - broken link)

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 AM

693 posts, read 2,917,722 times
Zakya wants $15 for their lunch buffet? Thats freaking insane.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:05 AM

212 posts, read 911,590 times
I am indian and while that does not make me an expert, I guess I've had a lot of Indian food.
I enjoy Royal India owned by Ram
Our family caters food from Royal India often, very tasty and reasonably priced.
They catered our wedding and did a good job
I believe he also purchased the place on airport blvd now called Royal Dhaba.

I am on the edge about Saffron, I love their food but really upset about their recent scam with restarurant.com coupons. Do a search you'll see my post
So for now boycotting Saffron for poor business practices.

Bombay grill is also an ok choice. They catered our engagement and was not as good as Royal india

A previous poster hit it exactly, there are different types of indian food. I prefer northern or often called punjab, mainly what Royal India, Bombay grille etc serve
Gujarti tends to be veggie, south Indian just never suits me.

Last edited by wrxsti04; 10-06-2010 at 10:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary