U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 08:16 AM

9,965 posts, read 10,256,237 times

Advertisements

Vimala's is da bomb. Soooooo goood. And she won't turn away anyone who is hungry, either. Really great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2015, 08:30 AM

809 posts, read 2,277,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flavadave View Post
My girlfriend loves Indian food and I'd like to do something nice for her. What is the best Indian restaurant in the Triangle?
Paradise Indian Restaurant in Morrisville for me.

Old 01-04-2015, 08:53 AM

998 posts, read 1,245,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Vimala's is da bomb. Soooooo goood. And she won't turn away anyone who is hungry, either. Really great place.
I follow her on FB. She seems lovely and uses local farms. I will get there one day to try her food. Hubby and I havent had a date night since July. I am searching for a sitter, maybe we will go there on our date night.
Ashamed to say we have lived here since Feb and havent been to Chapel Hill.

Old 01-04-2015, 09:14 AM

9,965 posts, read 10,256,237 times
Oh, it's super casual. Just take the kids. They have a great outdoor space and people just let their kids run around outside. If you're looking for a fancier date-night place, try Cholonad just down the street. Vimala's is great for a date night, too, but definitely family-friendly.

Old 01-04-2015, 01:56 PM

998 posts, read 1,245,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Oh, it's super casual. Just take the kids. They have a great outdoor space and people just let their kids run around outside. If you're looking for a fancier date-night place, try Cholonad just down the street. Vimala's is great for a date night, too, but definitely family-friendly.
Thank you, good to know!

Old 01-05-2015, 05:45 PM

733 posts, read 1,007,162 times
I love Vimala's social stance but for quality of cooking it's Cholanad or Raaga for me. Both in Chapel Hill. For South Indian veg try Tower or Udupi Cafe in Morrisville/Cary.

Old 01-05-2015, 06:52 PM

5,700 posts, read 8,307,956 times
Vimala's is really tasty - I have to check out the others, thanks!

Old 01-06-2015, 06:50 AM

608 posts, read 584,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sant View Post
I love Vimala's social stance but for quality of cooking it's Cholanad or Raaga for me. Both in Chapel Hill. For South Indian veg try Tower or Udupi Cafe in Morrisville/Cary.
This.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 PM

836 posts, read 1,486,250 times
There's a new Indian restaurant on Hillsborough street (It used to be Taj Mahal or something). Anyway - the menu looks good and lots of people from my work eat there.
But my new favorite is Cilantro Indian Restaurant, Indian Food Zabihah halaal | cary, Apex, NC
It's really tasty and REALLY reasonably priced. Definitely recommend.

Old 01-09-2015, 10:53 AM

475 posts, read 1,399,081 times
I guess it depends on what one means by "good indian food" - if you are looking for authentic Indian....then some of the places mentioned on this thread don't exactly fit that description.

Cilantro, Raaga, Dawat and countless others - they are the standard restaurants serving the run-of-the-mill typical indian dishes synonymous with Indian food here in the US - heavy tomato-based cream sauces...with slight variations and pretty bland. These restaurants cater to the American not much used to spices or to those not too familiar with Indian food...

If you are looking for authentic indian food, and it depends on what kind of Indian food you are looking for - Tower for South Indian vegetarian is a must place to visit. The Himalayan Nepali restaurant in Chatham square - get their lunch thali. Tandoor on Hwy 55 ( some people love it, some hate it. To me - their goat on the buffet is original. Their other dishes are very flavourful and does not fit the mold of the usual restaurants around here). Paradise - Good. Again, not your typical indian restaurant where you order your chicken butter masala or your chicken tikka masala and get that tomato cream goop that is the one gravy for all.

Check out yelp for true reviews...but do go try out the ones listed above if you are truly looking for the "real" or at least "close to the real" indian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary