Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 06:00 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,592,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rythemdevi View Post
Can I ask reasoning for Azitra not being authentic Indian cuisine? Because the restaurant OP mentioned, 2 out of 3 serves similar North Indian cuisine that Azitra serves and Meenaskhi Bhavan is South Indian cuisine. Just curious to know.
I've only been to Azitra once, but I found the flavors so muted that I decided it was Indian food for people who are afraid of Indian food. It seemed inauthentic to me; very bland. This was a long time ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2016, 06:06 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
Most of what you get in North Indian restaurants is not really authentic anyway. I have never eaten or seen 75% of the Indian food served here served in India outside of places serving tourists! My DH is from Mumbai and says no one really eats like that at home. Probably one one of the closest I've seen in this area is Udipi.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:38 PM

51 posts, read 78,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tieurtkada View Post
Americans like to guess at what is authentic from a given country based on things like how many foreigners they see when they walk into the place. Anyone who thinks Azitra is not authentic Indian must have never been to India. Its a bit upscale and pricey and thus kind of a niche restaurant, at least the last time I was there. But guess what they have pricey restaurants in Indian too.. lol
I agree , it is pricey Indian restaurant but one thing I like is consistent taste. It may not be the case for everyone.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:46 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,786 times
I realize this thread is about "Best Indian Food in the Triangle". If you are ever in New Bern or passing by on your way to Atlantic Beach I suggest giving Bay Leaf a try. It's the best Indian food in the area.

Bay Leaf Indian Restaurant - New Bern, NC - HOME

Old 07-12-2016, 06:48 PM

51 posts, read 78,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
I've only been to Azitra once, but I found the flavors so muted that I decided it was Indian food for people who are afraid of Indian food. It seemed inauthentic to me; very bland. This was a long time ago.
When I go to Azitra (or any Indian restaurant), I ask my food to be Indian spicy with clear instruction "I don't want mouth burning hot, I need flavoured spicy" This instruction is consistently followed by chef at Azitra (at least for us) and it gives very good Indian food taste. This is the one of the reasons I like that restaurant over others.
Always ask the server to use green chilly to make food hot over red chilly powder. So when you chew green chilly, and if it is spicy you can just pick chilly out of your curry but still enjoy the hint of spice.

Old 07-12-2016, 09:31 PM

744 posts, read 1,261,973 times
For all-around dining experience, meaning pleasant ambiance and decor, good drinks, and great food, this Indian votes for Cholanad in Chapel Hill. Their menu strays from the standard tandoori, tikka, and vindaloo dishes you find in every Indian restaurant. While their base cuisine is South Indian, unlike most South Indian joints, it's non-veg, thank goodness. Their fish dishes are particularly good. If it's on the menu, I highly recommend the whole pompano roasted in banana leaf marinated in a tamarind sauce. Two other places in Chapel Hill are also very good, Vimala's Curry Blossom Cafe and Raaga, but Cholanad is better.

Azithra also has a pleasant ambiance and decor. I like that they have a sitar player on Friday & Saturday, at least when we dined there. The food, while good, I found that they added cream to a lot of their dishes and so different dishes have a similar taste. I suspect they do this to play to the American palate.

As buffets go, Dharani's lunch buffet is quite good. It's packed whenever I've gone there. But I wouldn't judge a place by it's lunch buffet.

Last edited by Sant; 07-12-2016 at 09:50 PM..

Old 07-12-2016, 09:40 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,820,510 times
Be advised that North and South indian foods are very different. What types of Indian dishes do you like?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:52 PM

744 posts, read 1,261,973 times
[quote=Jkgourmet;44707016]Thanks for the heads up about this place! The menu looks pretty incredible. Any idea on the cost of the regular lunch buffet?

$10.99

Old 07-12-2016, 11:01 PM

644 posts, read 841,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rythemdevi View Post
When I go to Azitra (or any Indian restaurant), I ask my food to be Indian spicy with clear instruction "I don't want mouth burning hot, I need flavoured spicy" This instruction is consistently followed by chef at Azitra (at least for us) and it gives very good Indian food taste. This is the one of the reasons I like that restaurant over others.
Always ask the server to use green chilly to make food hot over red chilly powder. So when you chew green chilly, and if it is spicy you can just pick chilly out of your curry but still enjoy the hint of spice.
This isn't always true. There are dishes where you have to use red chili powder. If someone wants a Pav bhaji, it is going to be quiet weird.

I second what Sant said about Cholanad especially for South Indian food. The food at Cholanad while expensive is probably the most authentic South Indian food I have had in the Triangle. While not Indian, I used to love the taste of the food at Himalayan Nepali cuisine in Cary but management there has since changed.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:15 AM

4,303 posts, read 5,982,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaiho View Post
While not Indian, I used to love the taste of the food at Himalayan Nepali cuisine in Cary but management there has since changed.
Then you'll be glad to know the original owners of Himalayan Nepali have now opened Himalayan Range in Reedy Creek Square.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary