Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 09:16 AM

371 posts, read 1,361,738 times

Advertisements

How does the very valid problem of shuffling kids around like a deck of cards get resolved without creating "ghetto schools" for the poor kids? Definitely the redistricting has not been the right solution as it creates so much chaos and instability for all children involved, but throwing money at the poor neighborhood schools has never been an adequate solution either. I struggle with thinking creatively about how the schools of primarily F&R children that would result if/when neighborhood school zones are established could be helped to maintain quality in their schools. Wondering what others are thinking in terms of solutions to THAT problem (which is one that plagues most of the rest of the nation).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2010, 09:18 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,997,968 times
Vouchers. It worked in DC.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:49 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
I would disagree with you that vouchers worked in DC. So would many others. There are plenty of ghetto schools in DC. IIRC abandonning the voucher program there.

In 2009 the president of the National Education Association, the nation's largest teachers union, called the voucher program "an ongoing threat to public education in the District of Columbia".

To the OP. Great question.

Despite what some would have you believe there is no easy answer.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:52 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,926,216 times
It depends on what you define the problem as.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:41 AM

371 posts, read 1,361,738 times
Don't know much about D.C. schools ... is it common that some believe vouchers succeeded there while others don't think so? Seems like there would be a way to get some objective sense of it, no? So which is it?

Quote:
Oh, I don't know anyone, including myself, that thinks it's an easy answer.

Quote:
It depends on what you define the problem as.
Very true. I guess I see it this way: poor, uneducated parents don't have the knowledge base, resources, capacity and (sometimes) the motivation to fulfill an important part of the education equation: positive parental involvement. They also can't serve as positive role models (as far as modeling being a student and professional), which I believe is the #1 ingredient to academic/ career success. Then there's "community environment", which is basically the sum of all that parents have (or don't have) to offer - that makes a big difference too. Quality teacher recruitment is affected by community environment and, once you end up with lower quality teachers, the school itself becomes deprived, creating a triple whammy.

Middle and upper class parents are more able, in general, to offer these things to their kids - and to maintain a more resourceful "community environment". Therefore, poor children fall behind little by little until they are left in the dust (with many exceptional exceptions, of course) while middle and upper class children plunge forward (with their own exceptions, of course).

I suppose the argument FOR redistricting is that, while you don't change the personal circumstances of the parents, you DO change "community environment" for the child by incorporating into every school some of what the middle and upper class parents have to offer. This, in turn, helps maintain higher teacher quality (good teachers will want to work there). At that point, you have removed two potential risk factors for the poor kids, though the main one (parent) still remains. And, mind you, I'm not saying poor parents are bad parents (I was raised by poor parents), but I am saying that, when it comes to education, an uneducated parent is not one that can help their child move forward in a concrete way, despite their best intentions. With decreased risk, that child is more likely to succeed educationally and professionally and the cycle can be broken.

So, how would one increase educational and professional success for poor children WITHOUT reshuffling them into communities with greater resources to compensate for what's lacking in their parent's educational background?

I'm not for redistricting, btw, I'm asking this honestly out of sheer curiosity ... it's easy to complain about what doesn't work ... but it always helps to ponder alternate solutions.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:47 AM

280 posts, read 740,950 times
Wonderful question! It seems like whatever happens a large group of people are unhappy.Even a section of people that voted for a change recently seem to be unhappy. I hope there is a happy compromise but perhaps its wishful thinking.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:51 AM

29 posts, read 92,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I would disagree with you that vouchers worked in DC. So would many others. There are plenty of ghetto schools in DC. IIRC abandonning the voucher program there.

In 2009 the president of the National Education Association, the nation's largest teachers union, called the voucher program "an ongoing threat to public education in the District of Columbia".

And by that he means a threat to the public education system and not education as an ideal. A teachers' union is of course going to be against anything that may endanger itself. As a proponent of public education they must necessarily be antagonistic toward private education.

I agree there is no easy answer or that if there were it would require a total upheaval of the system and our expectations.

Old 03-02-2010, 10:57 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
I think they should dismantle the entire school system, fire all the teachers and administrators, get rid of all the educational materials, and build it all again from scratch.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-02-2010 at 12:21 PM.. Reason: National politics go in the Politics forum

Old 03-02-2010, 11:14 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,271,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minier View Post
Oh, I don't know anyone, including myself, that thinks it's an easy answer.
You would be surprised. I can't count the number of times I've seen somebody on the news simply say "just allow children to go to their neighborhood schools".

As if it is as easy as waving a magic wand to allow that to happen. Stopping busing doesn't mean everyone will fit into an overcrowded neighborhood school.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:33 AM

2,697 posts, read 8,692,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

Wow, I'm shocked that a teachers' union doesn't like vouchers.

ETA: Why not ask the economically disadvantaged students who go to school with the POTUS's daughters if the voucher program works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary