U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 05:51 AM

475 posts, read 1,398,087 times

Advertisements

Boys are currently at Mills Park which has been turned into a traditional calendar. I am looking to switch them either to Highcroft or Alston Ridge ( slotted to open this fall). Any comments on Highcroft? Is it safer to ask for transfer to an established school or a brand new one? Of course, the final decision is based on WCPSS as to whether the boys will get into either school, but I wanted to get your opinions before I stated my preferences...

Thanks for your opinions/suggestions.

D
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:03 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,225,966 times
Parents of the elementary children here in Highcroft seem very pleased with the school.

It does have the distinction of being recognized as a School of Excellence, and having been through that process at the HS level, a school doesn't come by it easily -- they have to be doing something 'right.' I have not met any of the teachers, however, so I cannot attest to the 'climate' of the school, or how happy they actually are, working at Highcroft. Our neighbor does occasional substitute work, and she seems pleased with what she sees. I did hear from someone around here that the Principal is 'one tough cookie,' which could be a good, or a bad, thing, but I didn't ask for clarification.

If you can access the Yahoo! group for the Highcroft neighborhood, you may be able to find discussions/posts of the school. I did have one neighbor, who sold the house, moved out of the neighborhood, and after a few weeks in another elementary school, looked for another house in the neighborhood, bought it, and moved back, just so they could send their children back to Highcroft.

Having opened a new HS, myself, new schools are very nice -- largely because they are just that, new. They can be 'stocked' with some of the best from across the school's system, but also with some of the worst who get transferred to the new school. Sometimes, the children come with 'issues,' especially at the HS level, because they wanted to be at the other school. We had to fight that for about three years, until the first graduating class. Perhaps with a new elementary school there will be none of that.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:04 AM

718 posts, read 2,662,938 times
We are the opposite, we are at Highcroft and want a traditional calender at Mills Park Elementary because my middle schooler is being switched to Mills Park middle from Salem. What a mess this is.
We really like Highcroft though, just doesn't meet our scheduling issues any longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary