U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM

6 posts, read 7,914 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=1]Hey All!
First time poster here, planning a trip to Raleigh and surrounding areas and need some advice. I've visited the area once before, but I don't think I really took advantage of some of the things I should have.

Little about me... 24 years old, Mass Communications major, current living in Northeast Pa licensed health insurance salesman (so if you think your job is bad....), planning a move to Raleigh this summer (with or without a job, please no overly negative lectures.. I'm worried enough as is, but saved enough money to finally do this). I'm looking for a fresh start, and Raleigh just seemed like a beautiful city that can offer that. I'm also visiting Charlotte and stopping somewhere in Virginia (suggestions?)

Anyway, last time I was there I stayed at La Quinta Inn on 2211 Summit Park Lane, is there a better place to stay? Maybe somewhere closer in proximity to downtown/shops/bars/ect? It was definitely a convenient location, but if I can get within walking distance of stuff it'd be even better.

Also, apartment complexes.. Basically what I'd be looking for is a reasonably priced 1-bedroom close in proximity to downtown in Raleigh.. Again, I'm a single 24 year old, so I'm sure you guys can point me in the right direction. I'd like to visit a few while I'm there. (I'll do most of the research, just figured I'd mention this in case one specific place pops into your mind..)

To be honest, last time I visited it seemed like a ghost town. Granted, we came Sunday-Tuesday and in the summer. But it just seemed like such a beautiful city with all these nice buildings and parks with no one in them? I'm sure it had a lot to do with timing, this time I'm coming Fri-Mon. I may be a little confused about the layout of the city. I went to The Raleigh Times bar, which was real cool. Is that location basically the centralized "downtown spot"? Glenwood South, I guess? I just want to make sure I'm not missing a different part to the city... :/

I also went to the Pour House, and Napper Tandy's.. both were very nice bars. I'll leave any other suggestions up to you guys. Really, ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING is welcome. I also visited Durham and Chapel Hill. Both were beautiful.. Seemed a little too much like a college crowd though. Not that that's bad, I just seem to be in that awkward limbo spot between being too old to be surrounded by the college scene, but too young to be in a primarily adult community... Know that gap?

All advice is very much appreciated..
[/SIZE]
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:14 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,858,163 times
Try the "Raleigh Apartments" next door to Broughton High School in Raleigh. Inexpensive and walking distance to Cameron Village (shopping and restaurants).

During the summer months, sometimes it feels like a ghost town because many people go to the beach (the coast).

Friday and Saturday nights are far busier than Sundays through Tuesdays in downtown Raleigh (and probably most cities).

You requested no "overly negative lectures." Okay, I'll just make it a simple lecture: "What are you, out of your mind?! Moving here with no job? With no clear career path? Do you know that people move here and then need to move back? Do you have enough money to pay your expenses for a year or two? Do you know that even hourly jobs, in stores, are hard to come by? Do you have a 'Plan B'? You'd better!"

Okay. End of lecture.

Here are links to several maps of Raleigh and the area that may help you: http://www.visitraleigh.com/visitors/getting_here/maps

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-11-2010 at 08:28 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Try the "Raleigh Apartments" next door to Broughton High School in Raleigh. Inexpensive and walking distance to Cameron Village (shopping and restaurants).

During the summer months, sometimes it feels like a ghost town because many people go to the beach (the coast).

Friday and Saturday nights are far busier than Sundays through Tuesdays in downtown Raleigh (and probably most cities).

You requested no "overly negative lectures." Okay, I'll just make it a simple lecture: "What are you, out of your mind?! Moving here with no job? With no clear career path? Do you know that people move here and then need to move back? Do you have enough money to pay your expenses for a year or two? Do you know that even hourly jobs, in stores, are hard to come by? Do you have a 'Plan B'? You'd better!"

Okay. End of lecture.

Haha thank you for the advice, it really is much appreciated. Even the lecture is appreciated because i know this isn't a very practical/responsible move. But let's play a game, and you be me for a scecond.

You've lived in the same area AND with your folks your whole life. You don't like your job, you don't like the area you live in, your close friends you can count on one hand. You're very, very unhappy.. and looking for a fresh start WHILE YOU STILL CAN. You've saved enough money to cover the move, furnish an apartment, and rent/living expenses for 6 months. So do you move to an area that has nicer weather, nicer people, more going on, more job oppertunity's (trust me, my area is worse..) and take a chance while you're young? Or do you stay in your current situation? Honestly, feedback is appreciated..

I know this isn't the self-help/quartlife crisis forum, but I'm struggling with the answer to this question as well. All I know is I love the Raleigh area, the people seem so nice, and if I don't do something like this now, I never will. So I'm planning this trip to answer this question...

Old 03-11-2010, 08:35 AM

I've read through these forums quite extensively.. I feel like my situation is the classic case that people get mad at/tell to not move here haha

Old 03-11-2010, 08:44 AM

I could tell you were going to move anyway. But you really need to figure out what you'll do for a living here, and ideally, have something set up before you get here, or at least have a plan based on how things are, not how you wish they were.

If you have employment, you'll be all set. Six months of living expenses may not be enough. You have to ask yourself, if you run out of money after six months, then what?

You need to be realistic and ask yourself all the "what if" questions. Things are not like they used to be. Life is more challenging here and everywhere than it has been in decades.

Many people will say, "Take a chance!" Well, it's easy for them to say that, isn't it? And a few short years ago, that advice would have been just fine. But it's a different world. People are seriously hurting here.

You remind me of my son.

P.S. Don't expect a move to solve all of your troubles. (It's not uncommon to think that.) You can be sure the weather will be better than many places, but that's really the only thing you know for sure. You may find your neighbors not as nice as you'd like. You'll find things you like and things you don't like here. And everyone always has a bit of homesickness as they adjust, whether they admit it or not. SO -- if you are heck bent on moving here, then move. Just arrive with your eyes wide open and "Plan B" in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkGP20 View Post
Haha thank you for the advice, it really is much appreciated. Even the lecture is appreciated because i know this isn't a very practical/responsible move. But let's play a game, and you be me for a scecond.

You've lived in the same area AND with your folks your whole life. You don't like your job, you don't like the area you live in, your close friends you can count on one hand. You're very, very unhappy.. and looking for a fresh start WHILE YOU STILL CAN. You've saved enough money to cover the move, furnish an apartment, and rent/living expenses for 6 months. So do you move to an area that has nicer weather, nicer people, more going on, more job oppertunity's (trust me, my area is worse..) and take a chance while you're young? Or do you stay in your current situation? Honestly, feedback is appreciated..

I know this isn't the self-help/quartlife crisis forum, but I'm struggling with the answer to this question as well. All I know is I love the Raleigh area, the people seem so nice, and if I don't do something like this now, I never will. So I'm planning this trip to answer this question...

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 03-11-2010 at 09:05 AM..

Old 03-11-2010, 08:57 AM

I'm rreeaaalllyy trying to be as realistic as possible. I just find it hard to believe that I wouldn't be able to find a part time job or two bussing tables, at a grocery store, or even being a janitor to stretch my 6 months into 9 or 12. I don't think there's a city in the country that is in that deep of a depression. Meanwhile, I can look for a job in my desired field, maybe even do volunteer work to get experience in my field and network, and then eventually land a better job?

Is that unrealistic? My desire to move to the area has more to do than just for professional reasons. Like I said, the people seem genuine, the area is beautiful, there seems to be more people in my age group, etc. So even struggling with $$ and working a job worse than my current one may be worth it in the long run if I get to experience these life lessons (that I'm currently not experiencing at home with my parents).

Still unrealistic?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:09 AM

722 posts, read 1,669,302 times
I think you should check out downtown Greenville, SC. It's much cheaper to live there than here, so your 6 months will stretch out further. It's popular for young people, and the downtown is really great. They have tons of affordable apartments right in downtown. I think you would really like it it you visited. They also have a good job market there.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Check out all the grocery store, restaurants, and mall websites and check out who is hiring. Make calls.

Do whatever you possibly can to determine your chances of finding a job.

It's good you're willing to do whatever, including bussing tables. (My son used to do that, and he made good money.)

Only you can decide what is realistic and what isn't -- after you have done all of your research.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlinkGP20 View Post
I'm rreeaaalllyy trying to be as realistic as possible. I just find it hard to believe that I wouldn't be able to find a part time job or two bussing tables, at a grocery store, or even being a janitor to stretch my 6 months into 9 or 12. I don't think there's a city in the country that is in that deep of a depression. Meanwhile, I can look for a job in my desired field, maybe even do volunteer work to get experience in my field and network, and then eventually land a better job?

Is that unrealistic? My desire to move to the area has more to do than just for professional reasons. Like I said, the people seem genuine, the area is beautiful, there seems to be more people in my age group, etc. So even struggling with $$ and working a job worse than my current one may be worth it in the long run if I get to experience these life lessons (that I'm currently not experiencing at home with my parents).

Still unrealistic?

Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM

3,744 posts, read 9,449,079 times
lovebrentwood - I have to say, you sounded almost motherly with all of your previous replies and I found that sweet!
Can't rep ya...won't let me!

Old 03-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
lovebrentwood - I have to say, you sounded almost motherly with all of your previous replies and I found that sweet!
Can't rep ya...won't let me!
Haha very sound, level headed advice isn't it? And it's much appreciated..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary