U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 12:56 PM

345 posts, read 910,418 times

Advertisements

The 'springs? Older houses around newer developments? Try newer developments around older homes. As in...the older homes were there first. Were there, and people drove right by them, when they were making a decision to move to Holly Springs.

Why should they want to leave? Why should they sell out to developers? For the majority of them, Holly Springs is their birthplace. It has been their family home, for generations. Stuck in the past? Try history. It's not a new place that sprung up for refugees who could not conform to Cary's "taupe" regime. It's been here a long, long time.

I've never been able to figure out why people would move to a "new" place, and work so hard to make it just like the place they couldn't wait to move away from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 03:35 PM

932 posts, read 2,733,837 times
That place has been there forever. There are more than a few little places like that scattered all over Wake county, and the south for that matter. Back in the day there were "black" and "white" groceries. There's an old barn in Knightdale that looks like it's about to fall down and they have a neon beer sign in the window. (It's currently a good ole boy club.) At some point it probably was some kind of grocery store. Not a Harris Teeter, but an old school southern store where you could buy anything. For years there was a Wiggs Grocery at the corner of 1010 and Holly Springs. Land values when up and no one really had use for a small corner grocery.

ETA: If people have lived in a community for 30 - 40 years, it's their home. They probably don't want their homes "bought up and developed." Soon enough they'll be dead and their kids will sell the land so it can become a miniature Cary. Be patient.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 03-17-2010 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: Edited out response to comment deleted in an earlier post.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:08 PM

1,597 posts, read 2,696,285 times
Isn't that store right in the way of I540 ?

BTW as an upstanding Holly Springs resident myself, I would like to remind you all, that even though I was born in a small community in upstate NY, I am just as much a part of Holly Springs as someone who has lived their all their life.

It's natural to be resistant of change and even angry about it, but rest assured I am not the source of that change, I am just a guy who wants a nice house in a nice town. I certainly don't think this area is better than upstate NY or Metro DC, it has advantages and disadvantages, it is merely different.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 3,622,040 times
540 will be a bit further down closer to the 55 bypass and the Camden Reunion apts and the old 84 lumberyard that is now converted.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:01 PM

932 posts, read 2,733,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post

BTW as an upstanding Holly Springs resident myself, I would like to remind you all, that even though I was born in a small community in upstate NY, I am just as much a part of Holly Springs as someone who has lived their all their life.

It's natural to be resistant of change and even angry about it, but rest assured I am not the source of that change, I am just a guy who wants a nice house in a nice town. I certainly don't think this area is better than upstate NY or Metro DC, it has advantages and disadvantages, it is merely different.
I get what you're saying. I'm a little bit of transplant. I didn't move to far down the road...Garner isn't my original home, but I certainly consider it my home now. I'm not angry over change. For the most part, change is good. I just don't understand why someone would move somewhere and talk bad about the people that live there. I grew up with kids from Holly Springs. They were bussed to Cary schools and I know some of those people didn't want to have to sell their land and homeplaces.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 PM

249 posts, read 606,003 times
I can definitely see Prince Groceries being a bar nowadays. I can't imagine that a tiny place like that could really stay in business if it were a true grocery store. I'm sure it was a grocery store back in the day because there are a decent number of older homes that surround it.

Also, can anyone tell me what happens when a certain section of a town is rezoned from residential to commercial? Do those people have to sell or can they hold out? Im just curious because the homes off of Sunset Lake Road near the intersection with Holly Springs Road are all for sale for commercial use. They are all older homes. I assume that one day they will all be bought up and turned into a shopping center, but I wasn't sure if those people would be forced to sell.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,858,163 times
I think NRG should do a series of photographs of the bar, especially since it'll probably be lost to history in the not-too-distant future.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post

It's not about being resistant to change. It's resistance to the obliteration of the culture and history of an entire town. What happens when the new town, becomes like the town they left? They move to the next place, to get away from what they've created, and start all over again.

Look a little deeper. Many of the areas with older houses in and around Holly Springs (Feltonville included) are neighborhoods consisiting of one large family. If you bulldoze one block, you've not displaced several families, you've displaced one large family. That single family relies heavily upon one another for survival. Transportation, child and elder care, etc. How difficult would it be for them to sell out and buy newer homes in their birthplace, right next door and across the street from one another? I'd guess next to impossible. Just finding homes they could afford would be the first issue. Finding 10 affordable homes adjacent to one another would be miraculous! They'd not even be able to manage it if they moved to a different town. Even if they could, they'd be leaving behind the place of their birth, their extended families in Holly Springs, Apex, Fuquay, New Hill, etc., their church, their doctors...everything they know, all so the "new folks" could tear down their houses and build yet another pub that sells 500 different kinds of beer, so a group of white folks could gather and drink, and not be afraid to drive by a group of black folks who have gathered to drink, even though those black folks have never done one thing to harm them.

Old 03-13-2010, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 12,480 times
That area around Princes is known for it's drug activity. That is why you will often see the police parked in and around the area.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:02 PM

I see cops parked in and around every area of Holly Springs...does that mean the entire town is known for it's drug activity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary