U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:51 AM

249 posts, read 605,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
The 'springs? Older houses around newer developments? Try newer developments around older homes. As in...the older homes were there first. Were there, and people drove right by them, when they were making a decision to move to Holly Springs.

Why should they want to leave? Why should they sell out to developers? For the majority of them, Holly Springs is their birthplace. It has been their family home, for generations. Stuck in the past? Try history. It's not a new place that sprung up for refugees who could not conform to Cary's "taupe" regime. It's been here a long, long time.

I've never been able to figure out why people would move to a "new" place, and work so hard to make it just like the place they couldn't wait to move away from.
Why do you assume that everyone moved to Holly Springs to get away from a place like Cary?? We moved to Holly Springs because it was more affordable than Cary, but we liked the direction it was taking. I personally have no problem with how Cary runs things. Its a good place to raise a family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:29 PM

345 posts, read 909,721 times
I think you missed my point, but at the same time, validated it. Outstanding!

Old 03-15-2010, 01:48 PM

93 posts, read 142,876 times
I was always curious whether that place really was a grocery store since it was so small (it looks like a small bunker to be honest). There are a lot a pockets like that around Holly Springs where the old is surrounded by the new. The fact of the matter is HS is on the path where it continues to grow. That doesn't necessarily mean that those older areas are going to disappear there. I've seen a number of areas in Cary (although that number is dwindling) that are 'original' then what is there now.

Old 03-15-2010, 03:36 PM

377 posts, read 674,120 times
Quote:
The 'springs? Older houses around newer developments? Try newer developments around older homes. As in...the older homes were there first. Were there, and people drove right by them, when they were making a decision to move to Holly Springs.

Why should they want to leave? Why should they sell out to developers? For the majority of them, Holly Springs is their birthplace. It has been their family home, for generations. Stuck in the past? Try history. It's not a new place that sprung up for refugees who could not conform to Cary's "taupe" regime. It's been here a long, long time.

I've never been able to figure out why people would move to a "new" place, and work so hard to make it just like the place they couldn't wait to move away from.

Lets be brutally honest....there's a BIG difference bewteen the character and beauty of historic and older homes and what's in Holly Springs. Most people have no problem with historic older homes. It's adds to the charm of any city.

But when you have houses that look like there literally falling apart, leaning sideways, and with rusted out cars in front looking like a junkyard, that takes away from a city and looking towards the future.

You want to bring in new tax dollars and build new shops.

If you tried to sell some of these house that people are living in - some of them might not even be inhabitable by building and safety codes.

But i can understand that nobody wants to give up their home. If your 70 years old and living in the same house since 1955, there is a feeling that it's their place and they have nowhere else to go. I'm not inferring that any of these folks are anything buy good and honest people.

But there is a greater good for the city of Holly Springs. And anybody with common sense and rational would probably say that some of these older properties in desperate need of repair and are an eyesore.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:28 PM

763 posts, read 1,598,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juanvald View Post
I can definitely see Prince Groceries being a bar nowadays. I can't imagine that a tiny place like that could really stay in business if it were a true grocery store. I'm sure it was a grocery store back in the day because there are a decent number of older homes that surround it.

Also, can anyone tell me what happens when a certain section of a town is rezoned from residential to commercial? Do those people have to sell or can they hold out? Im just curious because the homes off of Sunset Lake Road near the intersection with Holly Springs Road are all for sale for commercial use. They are all older homes. I assume that one day they will all be bought up and turned into a shopping center, but I wasn't sure if those people would be forced to sell.
From what I can tell they want to sell, or one realtor has gone in and convinced them all to sell, since they all seem to have the same one....there are several sections like this...along Sunset Lake across from Harris Teeter, along HS road, and along 55 to name a few. The signs go up and stay there...sometimes for years. Suddenly they are bought up, torn down & something is built.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:33 PM

763 posts, read 1,598,544 times
Quote:
I think you missed my point, but at the same time, validated it. Outstanding!
I for one did move to Holly Springs because I don't like taupe : ) That said...Holly Springs is what it is...just ask the long time residents around here and they will tell you what it used to be. Its come a long way. We love the little town, warts & all, and I look forward to what it will become.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 2,533 times
I could not have said it better! Great post.

Old 03-16-2010, 09:41 AM

345 posts, read 909,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
Lets be brutally honest....there's a BIG difference bewteen the character and beauty of historic and older homes and what's in Holly Springs. Most people have no problem with historic older homes. It's adds to the charm of any city.

But when you have houses that look like there literally falling apart, leaning sideways, and with rusted out cars in front looking like a junkyard, that takes away from a city and looking towards the future.

You want to bring in new tax dollars and build new shops.

If you tried to sell some of these house that people are living in - some of them might not even be inhabitable by building and safety codes.

But i can understand that nobody wants to give up their home. If your 70 years old and living in the same house since 1955, there is a feeling that it's their place and they have nowhere else to go. I'm not inferring that any of these folks are anything buy good and honest people.

But there is a greater good for the city of Holly Springs. And anybody with common sense and rational would probably say that some of these older properties in desperate need of repair and are an eyesore.
So the greater good is something you would define as "new tax dollars and new shops"? I guess I have a different definition. When I moved here, there were no shops...4 convenience stores (Hood's was still open then). There were no schools, no drug stores, no police department, no giant town hall, no library, no grocery stores, no bypass, no wally world, no bars, no fast food places, and no prospects for any of that in the foreseeable future.

Yet, for some reason I loved the small town I moved to....that reason was the people. Some of them lived in the "eyesores", as you so quaintly put it, and some lived in the older historic homes. No one was particularly concerened about what your house looked like...it was more about being and having good neighbors. Were they all angels...heck no! Neither are all of the new people who've moved here. I just hate to see that sense of community that they defined, run out of town on a rail for "the greater good". I liked seeing my neighbors every day. Now it's rare if anyone makes eye contact with you. I don't consider that "greater" in any way shape or form. If getting all this new "stuff" requires us to do away with that....the cost is too great.

If they go, and I hope they don't, it will change the identity of the town. That identity has long been a good one. One where people cared for one another, regardless of their color, religious views or the size of their bank account. That's why I chose to make this my home. So that my child could grow up in a place that was a true community...not so she could have more places to spend her money. I didn't move here because it was cheap, or because it was "up and coming", it had already arrived!

Old 03-16-2010, 12:06 PM

2,849 posts, read 3,972,479 times
^Well if you don't like the direction HS is heading, you might want to check out now because it's going to be about 10 times worse once 540 cuts the town in half.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:17 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,692,649 times
i540 is running north of town, not exactly cutting it in half.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary