U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 03:23 PM

93 posts, read 143,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
So the greater good is something you would define as "new tax dollars and new shops"? I guess I have a different definition. When I moved here, there were no shops...4 convenience stores (Hood's was still open then). There were no schools, no drug stores, no police department, no giant town hall, no library, no grocery stores, no bypass, no wally world, no bars, no fast food places, and no prospects for any of that in the foreseeable future.

Yet, for some reason I loved the small town I moved to....that reason was the people. Some of them lived in the "eyesores", as you so quaintly put it, and some lived in the older historic homes. No one was particularly concerened about what your house looked like...it was more about being and having good neighbors. Were they all angels...heck no! Neither are all of the new people who've moved here. I just hate to see that sense of community that they defined, run out of town on a rail for "the greater good". I liked seeing my neighbors every day. Now it's rare if anyone makes eye contact with you. I don't consider that "greater" in any way shape or form. If getting all this new "stuff" requires us to do away with that....the cost is too great.

If they go, and I hope they don't, it will change the identity of the town. That identity has long been a good one. One where people cared for one another, regardless of their color, religious views or the size of their bank account. That's why I chose to make this my home. So that my child could grow up in a place that was a true community...not so she could have more places to spend her money. I didn't move here because it was cheap, or because it was "up and coming", it had already arrived!
You can't prevent growth if people find a place desirable. The town (holly springs) is sure doing all it can to make it more desirable and attract more people. I'm not sure there is a right answer for those that have been there forever in this type of situation either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 06:11 PM

345 posts, read 913,389 times
I don't know the answer either. Sometimes there isn't one. Some people are fearful of what they are not familiar with, which causes them to make misguided judgements about others, based on nothing more than that fear.

Prince's is owned by a gentleman who lives in Holly Springs. He's owned the property for a considerable amount of time. He also operates a service based business in Holly Springs. He's neither a drug dealer, nor a gunfighter, nor has he been since I met him 20 + years ago.

The woman who runs the store (and it is a store, not a bar) does so as a second career. She keeps it open when she's not working at her other job. I worked with her sister for a few years, and she is not into the drug/gun/knife fighting scene either.

The "gatherings" are just that, and are quite normal for the community, and have been since I've lived here. People meet at the store, to catch up and visit with their neighbors. I think Norman Rockwell did a painting of a similar scene, if I remember correctly.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:48 AM

1 posts, read 698 times
**nd should probably be bought up and developled**

Absolutely can't figure out why it hasn't happened yet.

Old 07-23-2010, 11:51 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,993,454 times
Probably too close to the protected area for 540 to take a risk. That whole area is going to a look A LOT different in about 5 years.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:06 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,523,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jperryrocks View Post
But there is a greater good for the city of Holly Springs. And anybody with common sense and rational would probably say that some of these older properties in desperate need of repair and are an eyesore.
And obviously the people living in these homes don't have the income to fix them. It's called poverty. I don't think there is any quick solution...if there is one at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary