Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 08:00 AM

1 posts, read 1,920 times

Advertisements

(I've read through a lot of other forum threads but haven't quite found what I am trying to, so I thought I'd try my luck.)

I am about to start work in Durham and have been trying to find a place to live, but without much success. I'm not really familiar with the neighborhoods, and reading online reviews of various apartment complexes has been both fruitless and depressing - seems like only the people with the worst possible experiences take the time to say anything.

Ideally, I'm looking for someplace within a 10-15 minute drive of where I'll be working (south of Duke, in what seems to be the Lakewood-Tuscaloosa neighborhood). I have a car, but it would be nice be able to walk places occasionally, which means being near things and having the streets feel fairly safe. My budget tops out around $550 or $600/mo, which I realize excludes me from a lot of the really nice places. I just need some more info about the geography and neighborhoods, and what sort of places I should be looking.

(Neighborhood vibes so far have been confusing at best: I really liked the feel of the Trinity Park area, and it's within walking distance of a ton of places, but I looked at some notably cheap apartments there on W. Trinity Ave and was kind of freaked out - ceilings crumbling, no flooring, etc. Is this just an iffy pocket in an otherwise swell place?)

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 08:30 AM

523 posts, read 1,326,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice bat View Post
(Neighborhood vibes so far have been confusing at best: I really liked the feel of the Trinity Park area, and it's within walking distance of a ton of places, but I looked at some notably cheap apartments there on W. Trinity Ave and was kind of freaked out - ceilings crumbling, no flooring, etc. Is this just an iffy pocket in an otherwise swell place?)
If it's in the area of W. Trinity that I think you're talking about, then yes, it is an "iffy" pocket. There is an area of Trinity in Old North Durham (just east of Trinity Park) roughly between North Ave. and Foster St. that includes several run-down apartment buildings, many of which are owned/managed by the same company. On that stretch, though, there are also very nice older homes as well as better apartments. The rest of Trinity is just fine, and the location is great for walking to downtown, Central Park, Brightleaf, Ninth St., etc.

There are some other posters on this board that are more familiar with Trinity Park proper, so perhaps they have some advice on places to check out.

Old 03-12-2010, 12:48 PM

4 posts, read 11,105 times
I lived in Tuscaloosa-Lakewood for 3 years and I LOVE that neighborhood! I was single then and always felt very safe. I would walk to restaurants in the evenings, go jogging at night, whatever. There are rental houses in that neighborhood for around $600/month and lots of cute duplexes. The neighborhood organization there is very active.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary