U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:50 AM

31,682 posts, read 55,496,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I think you're going to have to decide for yourself.
And THAT is the definitive answer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:58 AM

36,437 posts, read 41,768,016 times
I just moved here from Atlanta and honestly can't tell much difference in the weather but that is only after l year. However the slower pace, less crowds, more reasonable traffic all make it so much better than atlanta.

Also it depends on your house. and it's insulation. And like Atlanta the spring pollen is a yellow nightmare so I don't think you would want your windows open during those pleasant days cause yellow will invade your home. We rarely open our windows cause of humidity and insects and fear of sudden showers.

Good luck

Old 03-12-2010, 08:35 AM

50 posts, read 110,939 times
Wow, I checked back this morning and there were tons of responses. Thank you all. I think I had in my head North Carolina = cooler than GA. I really appreciate the responses. I do realize that the level of heat and humidity all depends on what you are use to. It sounds like unless we are willing to live further than 5 hours away from the coast we are not going to escape the long summer heat in the places we are looking.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:16 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,137,935 times
Here is a secret. If you buy a new house in a new subdivision that clearcut and bulldozed, it is going to be hotter than the blazes during the day and it won't cool off much at night.

However, there are many older neighborhoods that have substantial tree canopies (0.5-1 acre plus lots, with dozens if not over a hundred trees per lot). It doesn't get nearly as hot during the day, and you can sleep with the windows open at night most nights in the summer. Note that deciduous trees do a better job than pines, worth the price you pay in raking leaves in the fall.

We went for option B, and are quite happy.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:28 AM

494 posts, read 1,195,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roterjo View Post
I have learned lots from some great Raleigh folks, thank you. Here is my last question I think until we come for a visit in a few months.

Does it cool off in the evenings or stay about the same temp. in the summer? Is the hot & humid can't open the windows season last from May - September? That is what it is like here in Atlanta just thought I would see if maybe it has a "bit" shorter season in Raleigh.
Thanks
The pollen here is devastating,even in summer.Lots of trees.(the tree here is like the cow to India).Open windows at your own risk.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:44 AM

29,465 posts, read 33,766,374 times
Quote:
I have learned lots from some great Raleigh folks, thank you. Here is my last question I think until we come for a visit in a few months.

Does it cool off in the evenings or stay about the same temp. in the summer? Is the hot & humid can't open the windows season last from May - September? That is what it is like here in Atlanta just thought I would see if maybe it has a "bit" shorter season in Raleigh.
Thanks
Open a window in the heat of summer at night? NO!

Go outside at night in the heat of summer? YES if you have a 6 pack.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:12 AM

305 posts, read 661,697 times
We have this same debate in my house! I would open the windows, but my husband thinks it's way too hot and humid. It's really a personal preference thing. I've never noticed much difference in Atlanta weather and NC (triangle) weather. If you wanted to head for the mountains (Asheville, Boone) you could probably get away with no AC there.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM

100 posts, read 253,777 times
Quote:

Thanks
You basically turn your AC on in May and turn it off in October.

Old 03-12-2010, 08:09 PM

2,531 posts, read 7,940,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yes, it does cool off in the evenings here from May through September. We often open our windows in the morning during cooler days to let some fresh air in the house. With 2 dogs and a baby, we need that fresh air! Then, once it gets closer to lunch and the house starts to warm up (~80 degrees), they get closed again and the A/C turned back on. I would not open the windows in the evening as the humid air would make it less comfortable to sleep. Plus. . . . we have a gajillion of those dang little peeper frogs and the noise would keep us up.

We do the same thing. Once we close it up mid-day, we tilt the blinds to keep out the direct sunlight. It is amazing how little the AC actually has to run in the summer with a little effort. Through this, and using energy efficient lighting & appliances, we keep our peak summer electricity consumption under 1000 kWh/mo for a family of 4 in a 2900 sq. ft. house.

Now, we do this in May, June, early July and then not much again until basically September. I will concede that the humidity becomes too oppressive and the lows too warm to justify it too much between mid-July and August.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:58 AM

12 posts, read 14,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
You basically turn your AC on in May and turn it off in October.

Exactly! I can't think of a time I have ever opened my windows during this timeframe. Those who do clearly are not living in Raleigh or they LOVE humidity!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary