Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:06 PM

14 posts, read 46,676 times

Advertisements

Is there a mold problem in cary/raleigh because of the humidity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 07:26 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
We have air conditioning.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:41 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
Yes, in crawlspaces! Relatively easy to remedy if you are proactive though.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:26 PM

7,146 posts, read 4,740,951 times
Yes, there is a mold problem not only in crawlspaces but also outdoors. Mildew accumulates on the exterior of homes, on roof shingles, on driveways. Power washing is needed often on exterior of homes and driveways, walkways.

If you have a crawlspace, there is anxiety over what may happen with mold. Have it checked by a pest control company for moisture levels often. Crawlspaces absolutely need a vapor barrior. And in attics here there is worry about mold, even with proper air flow.

Also, there is the problem when putting down hardwood floors. If your crawlspace isn't dry enough, the wood will buckle and warp.

Air conditioning is a necessity here, but moisture, mold and mildew does cause problems even with that. It's aggravating, and a constant struggle.

best,
toodie

Old 03-11-2010, 10:19 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,704,794 times
If you are concerned about humidity in your crawl space, you can buy a dehumidifier to keep down in it.

Old 03-11-2010, 10:33 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
Or buy a house without a crawlspace. (I'm so glad we have a walkout basement built on a slab.) We also never had a mold problem in our attic. Maybe newer houses are built differently than 60's-vintage homes (like ours).

Old 03-11-2010, 11:25 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
In many cases, attic mold is a by-product of crawlspace moisture. The moisture is pulled up into the attic via the wall cavity. I rarely see attic mold in newer homes, most likely due to the onset of ridge vents in our area. In older homes like split levels and ranches with a shallow roof I see it occassionally, especially on homes with only gable ventilation (and damp crawlspaces). Provided extensive mold growth does not already exist, it is relatively easy to deter it from happening. If anyone ever wants more detailed information on the subject you can always message me; I like talking houses.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:06 AM

34 posts, read 86,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Yes, there is a mold problem not only in crawlspaces but also outdoors. Mildew accumulates on the exterior of homes, on roof shingles, on driveways. Power washing is needed often on exterior of homes and driveways, walkways.
We have been in our house 18 months and have not had it power washed yet (it's 5 years old). Is this something that should be done every year, and if so at what time of the year is best? I've noticed some dark spots on the exterior that could be mildew, but could also be dirt, not sure how to tell the difference (not used to dealing with this sort of thing!).

Old 03-12-2010, 08:16 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,676 times
Agree 100%!! We have a full walkout daylight basement up here in N Durham. Best purchase ever. Its so nice to not have a crawlspace, and have to deal with anything that crawlspaces entail. Plus, usually water in the crawl/moisture/mold is the #1 reason prospective buyers walk, and for us, we will never have to worry about this. Its such nice piece of mind, cause crawlspaces can be finicky and VERY high maintenance (our last home I had to spend $6,000 to waterproof the entire crawl by having a french drain dug around the entire inside perimeter of the crawl, what a freaking nightmare).

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Or buy a house without a crawlspace. (I'm so glad we have a walkout basement built on a slab.) We also never had a mold problem in our attic. Maybe newer houses are built differently than 60's-vintage homes (like ours).

Old 03-12-2010, 08:42 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
Agree 100%!! We have a full walkout daylight basement up here in N Durham. Best purchase ever. Its so nice to not have a crawlspace, and have to deal with anything that crawlspaces entail. Plus, usually water in the crawl/moisture/mold is the #1 reason prospective buyers walk, and for us, we will never have to worry about this. Its such nice piece of mind, cause crawlspaces can be finicky and VERY high maintenance (our last home I had to spend $6,000 to waterproof the entire crawl by having a french drain dug around the entire inside perimeter of the crawl, what a freaking nightmare).
We began our search to move here not knowing much about crawlspaces/slabs after a basement over the years. I did my research on crawlspaces v slab and decided to go with crawlspace. We had a wonderful buyer agent who toured us the area multiple times. After deciding on a builder and model we needed a lot. She picked out several and gave us the tour. I didn't fully understand all she was saying but kept saying what looked like a great lot today may be a problem later on. She kept talking about slope at the house line etc. Well we listened to her advice and have a bone dry crawl space while others have wet crawl space problems in our development. They have perfectly flat lots that the water just sits on because of clay soil etc. We also have a great guy who treats for insects and goes in the crawl space 4 times a year and checks not just for insects but for any moisture/mildew problems and we get flying colors. We have a tall crawl space which when you enter is almost 6 foot high. She figured that out from the lot etc. There are trade offs yes but a dry basement is one of the pluses.
Have a good agent who knows what they are doing and a good insect control guy who actually/really goes into the crawl space. They all don't really go in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary