U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 03:31 PM

31 posts, read 84,154 times

Advertisements

Goodberry's is fantastic! Try the butter pecan, mmmmm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 05:49 PM

5,265 posts, read 14,579,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Friendly's for sure. But none I'm afraid at the moment. Goodberry's and DQ is all we have at the moment and a few smaller ice cream shops.
No Friendly's for you...or Wegmans, or Abbots!

Old 05-13-2010, 09:10 PM

2,813 posts, read 6,453,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'minformed2 View Post
No Friendly's for you...or Wegmans, or Abbots!

Actually at the moment I get Wegmans and Friendly's as I'm on a work assignment in NY! Now to figure out how to pack those places up in the moving truck when I head back south this summer!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:13 AM

3,756 posts, read 8,215,546 times
Loved the OP's post, very helpful. We are thinking of making a move to Wake Forest. Looking in the stats area, there seems to be a high incidence of burglary. Can anyone better inform me as to why this is? What is the trend? Thank you, BlueD

Old 05-14-2010, 08:39 AM

2,813 posts, read 6,453,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
Loved the OP's post, very helpful. We are thinking of making a move to Wake Forest. Looking in the stats area, there seems to be a high incidence of burglary. Can anyone better inform me as to why this is? What is the trend? Thank you, BlueD
Having lived there for over 5 years I have not noticed burglaries higher in Wake Forest than the surrounding communities. Can't speak for the last year as my work has taken me away so I'm sure other posters have more recent information.

I always used some common sense rules to protect my property no matter where I lived.

1. If I'm not in my car the windows stay up and car is locked. This includes in my own driveway.

2. Keep the garage door closed if I'm not in view of the area.

3. Keep doors and windows locked when not at home.

4. Keep the doors locked when in the home day and night.

5. Installed motion lights around the outside of the home so if anyone is moving they come on. Let's the deer see the food better at night too!

6. Keep things I value locked up. If I value them I assume other will too!

Old 05-14-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Having lived there for over 5 years I have not noticed burglaries higher in Wake Forest than the surrounding communities. Can't speak for the last year as my work has taken me away so I'm sure other posters have more recent information.

I always used some common sense rules to protect my property no matter where I lived.

1. If I'm not in my car the windows stay up and car is locked. This includes in my own driveway.

2. Keep the garage door closed if I'm not in view of the area.

3. Keep doors and windows locked when not at home.

4. Keep the doors locked when in the home day and night.

5. Installed motion lights around the outside of the home so if anyone is moving they come on. Let's the deer see the food better at night too!

6. Keep things I value locked up. If I value them I assume other will too!

Hi Dan,

Great advice and we follow all of that too. What caught my attention was the stats of burglaries being higher than the national average. I know agents can not redline areas, but I feel they should be able to.
We are thinking of coming down in July to look around.

Great thread, thanks!

BlueD

Old 05-14-2010, 11:12 AM

978 posts, read 1,871,615 times
From a Floridian who for the 4th year in a row will spend several weeks in Wake Forest this year again, in my opinion Wake Forest is AWESOME! It's not overly congested, but at the same time it is not completely isolated. Depending where you are in Wake Forest you are within a 5-10 minute drive to just about anywhere you have to go for basic necessities such as grocery shopping, gas station, retail shops, banks, restaurants, a gym.

There are parts in Wake Forest that are within 5 minutes from places I mentioned I above. If you are a little further away from Capital Blvd in a more secluded area of Wake Forest chances are you are no more than 10-15 minutes at most. Downtown Raleigh is about 30 minutes away, maybe a little more if you are in the northern point of Wake Forest.

In general, people are courteous and friendly in Wake Forest. There are lots of areas with green all around such as big beautiful trees. Yes, the area is growing and probably will continue to, but it is still a wonderful place to live.

Old 05-14-2010, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer View Post
From a Floridian who for the 4th year in a row will spend several weeks in Wake Forest this year again, in my opinion Wake Forest is AWESOME! It's not overly congested, but at the same time it is not completely isolated. Depending where you are in Wake Forest you are within a 5-10 minute drive to just about anywhere you have to go for basic necessities such as grocery shopping, gas station, retail shops, banks, restaurants, a gym.

There are parts in Wake Forest that are within 5 minutes from places I mentioned I above. If you are a little further away from Capital Blvd in a more secluded area of Wake Forest chances are you are no more than 10-15 minutes at most. Downtown Raleigh is about 30 minutes away, maybe a little more if you are in the northern point of Wake Forest.

In general, people are courteous and friendly in Wake Forest. There are lots of areas with green all around such as big beautiful trees. Yes, the area is growing and probably will continue to, but it is still a wonderful place to live.

Thank you Observer!! We can not wait to get down there and check out the area!!!

Old 05-14-2010, 12:15 PM

11,806 posts, read 27,477,826 times
Criminals are not a protected class. Children are!

So, your Agent should be able to give you the websites to check criminal ativity. And...you should check for sex offenders, as well. I always find it so funny when my clients ask me if any criminals live in the neighborhood! How would I know? Criminals don't register!

As for Wake Forest...there is an area that I know of that is on the "wrong side of the tracks". Other than that...I loveeeeeeeeeeee Wake Forest!

Vicki

Old 05-14-2010, 12:23 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,316,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDIAMOND64 View Post
I call it Mayberry Syndrome. Some people move here from more crime-ridden areas and let their guard down. They look around at their neighbors, & think, hey, I can leave my car unlocked, my garage open, my mower sitting out...

What they don't realize is that their neighborhood is an easy, attractive target for thieves. And then the inevitable happens. Usually there will be a rash of theft &/or break ins in a neighborhood. Then when people become careful the thieves move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary