U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 AM

733 posts, read 1,310,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
I lived a many a places over my career within and out of the US of A.
I am a transplanted Northeastern-er that is currently back in the northeast
on a work assignment. I read a many a threads about Wake Forest and the triangle
in general. Pro's, Con's, ups and downs, some I believe are even sideways
comments.....

But being Wake Forest is in the triangle I do have at least three points about my
experience living in the triangle, namely in Wake Forest.

Here goes.

1. When I get up in the morning I can usually count on the sun getting up with me.
Can't do that in the Northeast. However, there are other parts in the country
where this is also true!

2. My property taxes are much lower than my NY taxes. I pay for that lower
rate in other ways such as NC Personal Property tax, and few less
services but that is OK with me. I much rather pay for services that are my
choice and not just part of my tax bill as in NY.

3. Wake Forest has growth and change going on. Yes it has slowed
considerably in the last two years but its still visible. In upstate NY there
is very little to see in the form of change. The sky is typically cloudy
and dull and I see more frowns than smiles on people faces here and that
is sad to me.

So no place is ever truly perfect and if one ever finds the perfect place it normally does not last very long IMHO before something or someone changes it. But IMHO Wake Forest ranks right up near the top of places to live and raise a family.
as a fellow upstate nyer who has lived and traveled in lots of places - I can say that I COULD NOT agree more with this post! I'm sad to say that we're probably going to be leaving our fair hamlet also - one way or another - I just can't do the part time single parent thing any more - and I will GREATLY miss Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 04:37 PM

790 posts, read 1,506,085 times
"The sky is typically cloudy and dull and I see more frowns than smiles on people faces here and that is sad to me."

Sad indeed! We've been here in WF for 2 years now and lovin every minute of it! One of the reasons we moved from the Northeast was the cold weather, but another reason was, as mentioned above...too many down in the mouth people!

Old 07-07-2010, 07:41 PM

1,219 posts, read 2,606,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdrive View Post
Sorry you could not make it down to Wake Forest maybe one day.
Thanks Perhaps in retirement. We found the whole Triangle area to be really nice and we understand why it attracts so many. Maybe the kids will settle there after college and all-then I'll just HAVE to go

Old 07-09-2010, 01:42 PM

8 posts, read 8,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzmeister View Post
Wake Forest has TONS of young families. So much so that I doubt singles would really feel comfortable here but professionals with young children love it.
My husband and I are retirees and plan on moving to the Wake Forest area very soon, perhaps before September. Any areas I should look into....any tips.....pros and cons for very young 70 persons?

Old 08-11-2011, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 1,042 times
wanderintonc Talk your kids about going to college in NC. There are significant discounts at some great colleges for anyone who has lived in the state for 1 year!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:40 PM

2,828 posts, read 7,748,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiview View Post
My husband and I are retirees and plan on moving to the Wake Forest area very soon, perhaps before September. Any areas I should look into....any tips.....pros and cons for very young 70 persons?
I think it all depends on what you are looking for! Heritage is a great neighborhood, and has a section that is 55 and over active community, which might be something you are interested in (or might not). Do you like to golf? Would you rather live outside of the city, and have more land?

Much of the suggestions I could give you (as a person living in wake forest) would depend on what you are looking for with housing, and your interests!

Leigh

Old 08-11-2011, 08:26 PM

11,151 posts, read 8,933,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighbhe
Much of the suggestions I could give you (as a person living in wake forest) would depend on what you are looking for with housing, and your interests!

It's been more than a year since valiview posted. I assume s/he has found a place by now .....

Old 08-25-2011, 12:39 PM

74 posts, read 127,770 times
I still live in Wake Forest, but am about to move to Durham - near Southpoint. I still like the area, particularly the people and will still work in Wake Forest, but I need a more diverse, active-area.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:42 PM

4 posts, read 4,001 times
Default Great help

All of this info is soooo positive. I think we are making the right decision to move to this area.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 PM

18 posts, read 29,327 times
Well it seems like most of the information posted here has been rather positive in regards to Wake Forest. We can totally understand that. My wife and I settled in WF before it exploded. We've been here since 89. It does have newer subdivisions that are located far from the city center where most of the people are transplants. However, it still has the small town feel and is conveniently located between the mountains and the beaches. If you plug into the community(after all it's people that matter not place)you will find great friends, low crime, and plenty of opportunities to serve. However, like any community, if you expect busy people to come to your house and force you to make friends and get involved you will be disappointed. People in WF are like people anywhere. They just happen to live in a place that is a little better than some.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary