Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 06:05 PM

89 posts, read 417,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
Oh yes! I'm a postal carrier and Garner is building a huge new sewage/water treatment plant. It's on Benson Road.
I haven't heard or seen anything about the sewage? I know it is supposed to be a huge help to Raleigh by getting and retaining water from Swift Creek, having a resevoir for droughts, etc. Can you fill me in on the sewage issue??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 PM

47 posts, read 244,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adlnc07 View Post
On a clear day, I can see the cooling tower from my backyard here in Apex. Doesn't bother me at all!
How far are you from the Nuke Plant in your part of Apex? Thank you.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:39 PM

185 posts, read 992,131 times
reading this I feel kinda flipant about the original post question.

where is the sewage? Umm well it comes from your toilet and exits your home, just like every other home. So it is everywhere.

landfills? well you know all the garbage that most of us throw out without recycling or composting? where do you think it goes?

Unless you come from a magical place that I never heard of your going to find these things.

Now the nuclear power plant. not everyone has one of those in the backyard. the odds of it melting down are pretty low.

And I don't know about you, but if I was worried about them deciding to NOT evacuating during a melt down (yeah right), I'd want my house to be right next to that tower. Hey if you're gonna be toasted and glowing might as well get the full dose an die quick.

Ok, sorry to be flippant. I understand that people don't want to live near these things. but they are a fact of life. their danger is very low. the smell is actually usually pretty low. I think people really over react with these things.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:54 AM

5 posts, read 10,387 times
Maybe I am very ignorant about Nuclear Power Plants, but, other than Chernobyl and Three Mile Island, have there EVER been any other nuclear meltdowns in history. I mean, can someone site them?

As for Chernobyl, from what I have read, the plant was poorly designed and it was their own incompetence that led to the disaster.

As for Three Mile Island, there was a small release of radiation in 1979, but I am not too familiar with the paticulars.

What someone else said is sooo true. How could anyone compair Chernobyl to any nuclear reactor built in this coutry at this time? They just aren't comparable.

On the topic of the sewage and land fills, they have to be somewhere. I live on LI now, and nobody ever talks about where a sewage plant is or land fills. I guess that's because there are just a limited amount of places to live.

We are looking in the Holly Springs area and Wake Forest area now, and whatever we decide, it won't be decided because of a nuclear power plant.

Old 07-30-2007, 08:07 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,155,597 times
Default funny when

I get a laugh when someone says they wont live "out that way" then they move to Cary. If something big were to happen (and statistic wise very unlikely) will the effects not go to Cary!

Old 07-30-2007, 08:42 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Hubby used to build power plants (was in charge of quality control) and says he'd not be worried about living close to one. Still, I would be. It's not a rational reaction for me. I won't live next to high voltage power lines, either. I rejected a house that I otherwise loved because of that (the realtor could have saved both of us time by telling me ahead of the visit what the house was next to).

I did research some of these issues that were important to me - power plants, landfills, treatment facilities, active railroads, etc. along with wind patterns as best as I could. I hope we're in a good location. If not, please don't tell me. I have peace of mind.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 AM

1,263 posts, read 4,948,486 times
Thumbs up haha

funny post...so true...we're all toast...no matter where you live...too funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducter View Post
I get a laugh when someone says they wont live "out that way" then they move to Cary. If something big were to happen (and statistic wise very unlikely) will the effects not go to Cary!

Old 07-30-2007, 03:45 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
Default South Cary Water Reclamation Facility

a/k/a Sewage Treatment Plant

I live near this one. It is at the end of West Lake Road.

This plant has strict odor controls in place. Residents in our neighborhood have a phone # directly to the plant. If we notice any odor whatsoever all we have to do is call & they put in more chemcials.

I've seen a lot of posts talking about the odor out this way, but new odor controls were put in place in Nov. '06 and since then I haven't smelled anything.

There are pros and cons to everywhere you decide to live. You just have to decide where you will get the best house, for the best price with all the features you want/need.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:38 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyCrash View Post
a/k/a Sewage Treatment Plant

I live near this one. It is at the end of West Lake Road.

This plant has strict odor controls in place. Residents in our neighborhood have a phone # directly to the plant. If we notice any odor whatsoever all we have to do is call & they put in more chemcials.

I've seen a lot of posts talking about the odor out this way, but new odor controls were put in place in Nov. '06 and since then I haven't smelled anything.

There are pros and cons to everywhere you decide to live. You just have to decide where you will get the best house, for the best price with all the features you want/need.
...and hope that you never have to sell.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:55 PM

1,395 posts, read 5,084,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
...and hope that you never have to sell.

We'll cross that bridge when it comes. From what I have seen it hasn't been a problem. I'm sure that any buyer would have the same concerns that we did & like us I'm sure others will see that the pros outweigh the cons. I'm not alone here in the neighborhood. If all my neighbors decided to live here then I'm sure there are others that will too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary