U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 07:30 PM

306 posts, read 354,915 times

Advertisements

I would be interested in hearing the thoughts from people who have relocated to Raleigh from DC or Northern Virginia.

Are you satisfied with the move?

Are you planning on staying for the long haul or going back?

Also, how much hotter or more humid is it there compared to DC?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2010, 07:45 PM

249 posts, read 606,703 times
We relocated from Columbia, MD back in 2006. We are very satisfied with the move. There are only two things that I really miss.

1. Family of course.
2. Going to Orioles games. Can't even watch them down here because TWC are a bunch of (insert your own adjective).

Not really sure what the future wi to leave Raleigh. As far as the summer heat is concerned, it is not much different than DC. You really won't notice it. What you will notice, are the awesome Springs/Falls. Its always about 10 degrees warmer and it gets nice in March(compared to late April in DC). And it really doesnt get too cold until late November.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:46 PM

11 posts, read 20,429 times
Sent you a P.M

Moved from the DC suburbs to Raleigh

Old 03-13-2010, 08:20 PM

476 posts, read 1,043,799 times
I just moved here from No. VA and I'm not all that satisfied with the move, mainly because we left family/friends and the school system here is messed up. Our plan is to move back if my husband's job allows it. That is what brought us here. I think it is warmer here - maybe by about 5-8 degrees and there is less snow. You get more for your money in housing and there's less traffic. There are pretty much all the same stores and plenty of things to do - good people here too. Our situation is just hard because we have small kids and had a good setup back in No. VA.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM

247 posts, read 437,058 times
We moved from NoVA last year with my husband's job. I, personally love it here because I am originally from the South and didn't like NoVA much because it was too busy for me. We lived there for almost 9 years and it just didn't groove with me. It's warmer here than in NoVA and there is more humidity but NoVA wasn't as humid to me as MS, where I grew up, so it's all what you're used to. We have 3 small children--our oldest starts Kindergarten this summer and we have 17m old twins, so we don't have any experience with Fairfax County Schools--we lived in Herndon and our son went to preschool in Reston and we loved his preschool. The home we bought here is a lot bigger than our home in NoVA was and we got a deal on it bigtime, so we are happy on that front as well. I do not miss the traffic, the rudeness, and the overall "me first" attitude I witnessed daily in NoVA. I do not want to go back any time soon. Had I loved it, it would have been a different story.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:27 AM

11 posts, read 20,429 times
The Raleigh is a great place to live but it's so different compared to the DC/VA area. It's a place that you would need to visit to get a good feel for.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:32 PM

11,558 posts, read 17,950,613 times
Never lived in NoVA but I have spent a lot of time in the Herndon/Reston area for work. Frankly, it reminds me A LOT of Cary.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:08 AM

355 posts, read 851,858 times
Things I miss: The variety and quality of restaurants at all price points. The shopping of all varieties. Walkable neighborhoods (at least in Old Town, Arlington, DC - all places we couldn't afford though). The Mt. Vernon bike trail. The nightlife.

Things we don't miss: The traffic and the rage inducing commutes, house prices, the pace.

Things we like about here: The scale, the proximity to relatives, the relative lack of traffic, the blend of big city activities with a smaller town feel. The BBQ. That there are just enough cultural activities and restaurants to keep you interested (not the scale of a DC, but there's some good options). The mix and unique personalities of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and some of the outlying towns. The concentration of interesting, educated people that aren't plugged into the political arena.

Old 03-15-2010, 09:13 AM

355 posts, read 851,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Never lived in NoVA but I have spent a lot of time in the Herndon/Reston area for work. Frankly, it reminds me A LOT of Cary.
My condolences. Reston/Herndon and much of NoVa are very much like Cary. Same meandering roads leading into single overloaded traffic chokepoints, same car-centric design, same willy-nilly development patterns, same big box shopping h**l. But, large parts of Arlington and Alexandria are very different. They're actually fun, interesting, and livable.

Old 03-15-2010, 11:30 AM

214 posts, read 604,441 times
Moved from Reston to Cary 9 years ago. Cary is Reston light. Less amenities but less traffic and less expensive housing. Despite the drama on the Wake county school board I think the schools down here are a little better, particularly the high schools because in my opinion there is a lot more drug and gang exposure up there - at least comparing South Lakes/Herndon HS in Fairfax to Green Hope/Panther Creek in Wake.

I think this area is a better fit for families - I saw a document that showed the percentage of 2 income families and noticed that DC was far higher than down here. I think its important for a parent to be home with smaller kids and that would not have been possible for us in the DC area unless we went for a monster commute or bad schools, neither of which is acceptable to me. However, if I was single I would vote for Arlington in a heartbeat.

I dont think it is hotter or more humid here, if anything I think its less humid. However, it stays hotter longer. There are a lot more bugs here, especially biting ants which I had never encountered before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary